***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
There is a big difference between 3440x1440 and 2560x1080 at 34". So Gsync is pointless (other thread) and also anything above 1080p is pointless as well???

Did you even bother to read my post "entirely" or the post that I linked to?

The guy has a 3440x1440 34" screen.... and there are plenty of others who have said the same... Understand how PPI and viewing distance works before commenting please.

Also, link me to the post where I said "gsync was pointless" as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok well I am not going to argue with you but you did just say both of those things pretty much. I understand PPI etc. and most people sit quite close to monitors, but saying there is "not much, if any" difference is really not true at any remotely normal viewing distance. You would have to be meters away for it to not be noticeable.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
If you read my posts entirely you will see that there is more to it than just "no difference at all, it is pointless"

As above, there isn't really much, if any noticeable difference between 3440x1440 and 2560x1080 @34" in games, especially if you sit further back:

https://hardforum.com/threads/34-21...0-aoc-u3477pqu.1827296/page-2#post-1041126330

And as the link shows as well as posts like mrk's:

You can easily run 2560x1080 on a 34" 1440 UWA. I run Division at 2560x1080 and cannot tell the difference other than 15fps more performance on Ultra settings.

There are plenty of people with 34" 21.9 monitors who find the same.

Of course there will be a difference, however, unless you are sitting pretty close (and with a 34" 21.9 screen, I would like to think people are sitting a suitable distance away from them to really appreciate the benefit of these 34" 21.9 screens), you are going to be hard pressed to notice a difference in media consumption, like I said earlier, with any text content, you most definitely will notice the difference though.

The further you move back from the display, the sharper/clearer it will look, I have a few really crap old quality TV shows and sitting at my normal distance (about an arms length away), they look awful and pixelated but as you get further back (about 2 arms length away), they begin to look a lot clearer and better.

As for the gsync, I have said that g/free sync are great techs, however, it is not the silver bullet that some make it out to be as low FPS (<50fps) is still low FPS, yes, it is better to have g/free sync at those low FPS than no g/free sync but if people are wanting to get the full benefit of 144HZ, they need to be pushing those FPS too. Most of my posts in that thread are more about the ones saying that 60HZ and no sync tech are useless when that simply isn't true "if" people take the time to tweak and test some settings, FPS limiters and vsync options out.

Last edited:
Soldato
As for the gsync, I have said that g/free sync are great techs, however, it is not the silver bullet that some make it out to be as low FPS (<50fps) is still low FPS, yes, it is better to have g/free sync at those low FPS than no g/free sync but if people are wanting to get the full benefit of 144HZ, they need to be pushing those FPS too.

Well yes, I am not sure who would think that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I tried running 2560x1080 on a 3440x1440 monitor, its not unplayable but it just looks blurry and not very good, I would rather lower the settings than play at 2560x1080, not unplayable if you have no other option but definitely a lot worse than 3440x1440.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You'll get pillarboxes as per the standard with all 16:9 content. It will feel as if you are watching the content on a 16:9 monitor.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Does that mean borders top, bottom, left and right and a 1080p image?

No, it means pillarboxes :p

Example:

lg-29ea93-21-9-vs-16-9.jpg

4K content will be scaled down by the monitor's built in scaler. It will be sharp and clear of course, just scaled down.

Associate
Oh! What are pillarboxes anyway?

It will look like borders top and bottom if the content is letterboxed. do 21:9 monitors have a zoom mode to trim away the black bars, like tvs do?

Soldato
Oh! What are pillarboxes anyway?

It will look like borders top and bottom if the content is letterboxed. do 21:9 monitors have a zoom mode to trim away the black bars, like tvs do?

you can control that in your GPUs control panel incase your monitor doesnt support it. You can ask it to keep aspect ration, to keep original size or to zoom to the entire monitor so you should have no worries in this regard.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You will get black letterboxes left and right, just like how the diagram above shows. You will not get letterboxes top and bottom on standard movie or TV content. You will if someone has incorrectly authored a video with forced letterboxes and the content is in 21:9 (films are largely all at this aspect ratio anyway, TV shows are always 16:9).

Associate
Thinking of getting a super wide screen but concerned that a couple of older classic games i still play will support it. I hate borders!! Google does not seem to have any answers..

Counterstrike 1.6 on steam
C&C Generals/Zero Hour

Anyone with a super wide happened to have these games installed and could give it a whirl and report back?

Would be a great help before i go and drop a grand on one of these :p

Caporegime
Thinking of getting a super wide screen but concerned that a couple of older classic games i still play will support it. I hate borders!! Google does not seem to have any answers..

Counterstrike 1.6 on steam
C&C Generals/Zero Hour

Anyone with a super wide happened to have these games installed and could give it a whirl and report back?

Would be a great help before i go and drop a grand on one of these :p

Considering the age of the games I'd say not tbh. If you hate borders and love classic games then stick with 16:9, maybe a nice 32"?

Back
Top Bottom