***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Pet Northerner
Don
what monitor(s) are looking at monty? im on the lookout for something that takes my fancy that don't cost a grand!

I'm going to get the freesync version of the x84 I think (barr any newer panels that come out in the next month or two). At £350 less than the gsync version, it seems a good choice.

Associate
I just came second in an organised deathmatch out of 24 people using my new x34 Predator @3440x1440 running DayZ SA on .59 at Very High preset using an overclocked MSi 4g 970 (with -newui).

I pushed the FOV fully in (lowest) and had a huge advantage over running this on my old 1080p monitor as all the players were at least 5mm at 300 - 400m where as on my 1080p were probably around 2- 3mm high.

I felt like I was cheating and the frames were ok - 40 at times up to 60. Easiliy playable. I was very surprised. Tried the .60 release and constantly getting 60+ - amazeballs.

Everyone whose seen it is jealous :) and at £799 and a Feb Manufacture date, mimimal back light bleed and running at 100hz I feel like I am truly the chosen one LOL

Bring on a 1070 or possibly a 1080 and I think I'll be set for the foreseeable future...

It was a big expense (probably biggest ever PC splurge for me) but I have zero regrets.... often I wonder with big ticket purchases if it was worth it but jesus this seriously was. I love it ;)

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
I just came second in an organised deathmatch out of 24 people using my new x34 Predator @3440x1440 running DayZ SA on .59 at Very High preset using an overclocked MSi 4g 970 (with -newui).

I pushed the FOV fully in (lowest) and had a huge advantage over running this on my old 1080p monitor as all the players were at least 5mm at 300 - 400m where as on my 1080p were probably around 2- 3mm high.

I felt like I was cheating and the frames were ok - 40 at times up to 60. Easiliy playable. I was very surprised. Tried the .60 release and constantly getting 60+ - amazeballs.

Everyone whose seen it is jealous :) and at £799 and a Feb Manufacture date, mimimal back light bleed and running at 100hz I feel like I am truly the chosen one LOL

Bring on a 1070 or possibly a 1080 and I think I'll be set for the foreseeable future...

It was a big expense (probably biggest ever PC splurge for me) but I have zero regrets.... often I wonder with big ticket purchases if it was worth it but jesus this seriously was. I love it ;)

I would really love one, however @ £950+ now I really cannot justify it. I can get the none gysnc and most of a 1070 for that

Associate
I would really love one, however @ £950+ now I really cannot justify it. I can get the none gysnc and most of a 1070 for that

I only realised how good the adaptive display tech is after playing on my sons 1080p 24" G-Sync setup. When I went back to my 'standard' monitor all I noticed was the screen tears.... from that point on I wasn't happy with my monitor anymore and seeing the new 21:9 displays I just though 'eff it'... I'm going to splurge.

At £799 I kinda just talked myself into the X34 (even after reading all the dodgy stories of those unlucky people with bad ones) but figured my chosen retailer has a very good returns policy with no quibbles and I thought 'I'll just see what it's like'.

Needless to say once I plugged it in I was amazed. Seeing my sons 1080p 24" monitors now looks like peasantry. Just so small. My expectations now have changed completely and I won't be without this type of display again. You won't go back once you play on a 21:9 (43:18 for purists) monitor at a decent size. Everything else just doesn't cut it.

I know it's not cheap is it... I think if you look around you will see it for £799 still but that's still a lot. I didn't even pay that much for my 42" Plasma years ago :)

Oh well - I had my last monitor for 7 years (it's still working) so it's not something I'll be paying for again in a hurry.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to be swapping my Samsung 790C for an LG 34UM88-C. As an office user I have found that VA just sucks, frankly. You get used to it but it's just lovely to be sat in front of an IPS for work purposes.

Associate
Gsync has been brilliant for me. If not for it I don't think I would have moved away from SLI, but hitting 60fps isn't as key to me anymore, since I can play Dark Souls 3 @ 3440x1440 and hit 50+ and not notice any fluctuations. I was worried the scanline issue would ruin my experience but thankfully in my case it's minor enough for me not to be hindered at all.

Associate
I wonder if anyone has could help with this problem. A mate of mine just picked up a acer xr341ck and a fury x. He is having a problem with the monitor displaying black borders around the image. CCC is not showing overscan options.
He has tried the following. All drivers all the way back to the point of incompatibility. Single monitor, low framerate, high framerate, 1920x1080, lower and higher. CCC wrangling through every possible alteration and variation possible. Complete resets of all files, reinstalls of drivers and resets of everything installed related to the monitor short of a Windows reinstall.

Any ideas for a solution?

Back
Top Bottom