• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** 25/02/2011 EXTENSION! *** DEAL OF CENTURY: Asus GeForce GTX 480 1536MB Graphics Card with 2 FREE

Soldato
Soldato
^^ Yeah you need 850 core to be on par with a 580, even so 800 core is not that far behind, I would settle on saving £200 and having nearly as good performance.

Not many reviews with overclocked cards doing the rounds, it gives a good indication of performance gains over a stock 480, take what you can get.

Soldato
^^ Yeah you need 850 core to be on par with a 580, even so 800 core is not that far behind, I would settle on saving £200 and having nearly as good performance.

Definitely, I would never spend that much money on a GTX580.

Asus 480 is the best card in sub-£200 market by far, I've heard the card though and would never put it in my case without having an aftermarket cooler on it :o

I need silence environment to work though, my 5850 seemed too noisy and all the fans in my case are set to the lowest possible settings.

Permabanned
That's quite impressive. It seems that it matches or exceeds the 6970 overclocked in just about everything, and even managed to be snapping at the 580's heels for most things.

How easy is it to remove/refit the OEM cooler without leaving any evidence that it's been off?

Soldato
I fitted the Zalman on my 480 " although removed it due to the XFI blocking the fan intake " it's very easy and the stock cooler comes with reusable thermal pads so you can keep them, all you need to replace is the thermal paste on the GPU and some paste on small voltage regulators at the back of the card. There are plenty of guides and vids on the web on stock cooler removal.

Associate
Core i7 920 @ 3.33GHz + 3x2GB RAM + GeForce GTX 480 @ stock pull just below 480W from the wall under full load in Furmark (granted, you can increase it further by running prime95 on the other 3 cores simultaneously but I doubt anyone ever does that).

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/233

That is the input power and at 82.5% efficiency of the PSU it works out at just 400W being used by the system under full load.

Not that much, heh? That means that any quality 500W unit will cope with this card just fine, bear in mind that overclocking both the CPU and the GPU can increase these figures from 400W to 550W if you like playing with high volts/clocks.

Corsair speced this PSU at 520W and it will be fine with an input of up to 630W at 82% efficiency.

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/SP125-CORSAIR-CMPSU-520HX-Report.pdf

Conclusion: do not worry about running this card with your current PSU, bear in mind that it's not suitable for heavy overclocking of both the CPU and the GPU (by heavy I mean watercooling and high voltages).

A quality 850W unit should do just fine. See above Anandtech power consumption under Furmark results to work out a stock system's load power input.

You'd need to take efficiency into account and leave some headroom for overclocking as well. PSU aging is usually irrelevant as you'll never use the PC at full load 24/7.

There is a handful of people who do but I'm sure they're aware of the need of supplying enough electricity over the years.

EDIT: Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W can be had for just £100 and should cope with GTX480s SLI just fine.

Many thanks for the answer, I don't have anything overclocked at the moment, as couldnt get it stable when I tried, so everything at stock speed. Really appreciated :)

Soldato
:p 107c :p

http://www.behardware.com/articles/805-6/roundup-3-geforce-gtx-480-compatible-coolers.html

k.png

Associate
Ordered 1, cant wait, hoping my silverstone ft02 will tame its heat/noise

also hoping its going to last me as long as my gtx280 has

Associate
Ordered 1, cant wait, hoping my silverstone ft02 will tame its heat/noise

also hoping its going to last me as long as my gtx280 has

I got 2 years from my BFG 285.

I just sold it. As they are not honoring RMA's any more, so if it busts then i have no comeback.

Sell it while it is worth something and put it towards the 480 is my motto!

I am a bit concerned about the heat that we hear so much about though.

Associate
I was concerend about heat/noise when I bought my 280, in the end it wasn't an issue.
Yesterday I ordered one of these 480's and hope for the same result, maybe even use the 280 for physX :D

Back
Top Bottom