• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** 25/02/2011 EXTENSION! *** DEAL OF CENTURY: Asus GeForce GTX 480 1536MB Graphics Card with 2 FREE

Soldato
my CPU likes getting to 80C + anyway -so it will be an ideal partnerhsip :)

I remember my 8800GTX getting to 90C odd - but it was stable as a rock - who cares what the temps are if its stable

Soldato
my CPU likes getting to 80C + anyway -so it will be an ideal partnerhsip :)

I remember my 8800GTX getting to 90C odd - but it was stable as a rock - who cares what the temps are if its stable

Take it from me with a custom fan profile that still keeps the fan relatively quiet your temps will be fine, I don't break 82c with an 850 core overclock.

Associate
Ordered :) Can't wait to see what this beast can do! Reckon I'll probably wake up in the morning and curse all the vodka and cokes I've had tonight lol, certainly helped make my mind up that's for sure!

lol, the things we do when we've had a drink eh :eek: Oh well, I'm sure I'll have a big smile on my face when it arrives and I see what it can do :)

Order status currently says 'Security validation' which I haven't seen before, what does that mean exactly, anything to be worried about?

Cheers

Permabanned
I have just ordered one of these! I see it as an aid to helping reduce my heating bills.
I no longer have to have my 2 kw heater on full whack in my pc room should it be a touch nippy.

Oh yea, thats a good reason to get these, inexpensive room heating =D

Soldato
I run 3x 480s.. Mine never go above 72c full load at 900/1800/4400 so I don't see the issue people are having to be honest. Yes thy are a little noisy but the 5970 fan profiles make that card out of the box much worse in my opinion. I couldn't recomend a 480 at £195 enough! So much so I'm going to get a 4th :)

As ive said countless times,poor cheap case=crap cooling=hot 480,get a decent case with good airflow and you wont have a super hot 480.

What are you going to use 4 480s for?

Associate
(long time reader first time poster..)

Tempted by this but currently have a HX 520W PSU (has a GTS 250 at the moment) - guessing I'd need a new PSU as well if I got this?

Permabanned
I run 3x 480s.. Mine never go above 72c full load at 900/1800/4400 so I don't see the issue people are having to be honest. Yes thy are a little noisy but the 5970 fan profiles make that card out of the box much worse in my opinion. I couldn't recomend a 480 at £195 enough! So much so I'm going to get a 4th :)

Funny how my pair of GTX 460s ran hotter than that 900 Mhz with lots of cooling and fans, and my MSI Twinfrozr 560s are almost the same temps (71 / 69 degrees in Vantage @ 900 Mhz).

Pics or it didnt happen :p

Meh, even my 5770s @ 1000 Mhz used to run around 85 degrees lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
What PSU recommended for dual 480's in Sli? Only have a 650 corsair TX650, in a machine running one SSD and two old Samsung F1's and already have one ASUS 480.
The room my PC is in can be cold, would be good to warm it up a bit more when playing the odd game

Soldato
(long time reader first time poster..)

Tempted by this but currently have a HX 520W PSU (has a GTS 250 at the moment) - guessing I'd need a new PSU as well if I got this?

Core i7 920 @ 3.33GHz + 3x2GB RAM + GeForce GTX 480 @ stock pull just below 480W from the wall under full load in Furmark (granted, you can increase it further by running prime95 on the other 3 cores simultaneously but I doubt anyone ever does that).

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU11/233

That is the input power and at 82.5% efficiency of the PSU it works out at just 400W being used by the system under full load.

Not that much, heh? That means that any quality 500W unit will cope with this card just fine, bear in mind that overclocking both the CPU and the GPU can increase these figures from 400W to 550W if you like playing with high volts/clocks.

Corsair speced this PSU at 520W and it will be fine with an input of up to 630W at 82% efficiency.

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/SP125-CORSAIR-CMPSU-520HX-Report.pdf

Conclusion: do not worry about running this card with your current PSU, bear in mind that it's not suitable for heavy overclocking of both the CPU and the GPU (by heavy I mean watercooling and high voltages).

What PSU recommended for dual 480's in Sli? Only have a 650 corsair TX650, in a machine running one SSD and two old Samsung F1's and already have one ASUS 480.
The room my PC is in can be cold, would be good to warm it up a bit more when playing the odd game

A quality 850W unit should do just fine. See above Anandtech power consumption under Furmark results to work out a stock system's load power input.

You'd need to take efficiency into account and leave some headroom for overclocking as well. PSU aging is usually irrelevant as you'll never use the PC at full load 24/7.

There is a handful of people who do but I'm sure they're aware of the need of supplying enough electricity over the years.

EDIT: Coolermaster Silent Pro 850W can be had for just £100 and should cope with GTX480s SLI just fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll do my bit when the governments (especially america, china and india) do theirs. There's not much point in me buying a more energy efficient graphics card and making sure my corn flakes boxes go in the brown bin when these countries are wasting tons and tons every day.

Shouldnt recyclables go in the green bin? :cool:

Back
Top Bottom