• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2700x CH6 Overclocking help

HeX

HeX

Soldato
@opethdisciple it really sounds like you have some sort of system issue, there's no reason they shouldn't be stable at stock 3200 on a stock CPU, especially as you've changed from the 1700 to the 2700X and still have the same issues. Only thing left to try is swap the mobo out.

Soldato
@opethdisciple it really sounds like you have some sort of system issue, there's no reason they shouldn't be stable at stock 3200 on a stock CPU, especially as you've changed from the 1700 to the 2700X and still have the same issues. Only thing left to try is swap the mobo out.

Yea I know. :(

Before I bought the 2700x I was playing with the idea of selling up and getting a 8700k for peace of mind. I opted for the least hassle which was just the CPU upgrade.

If I upgraded I'd buy the Prime Pro x470.

Did I just cheap out on the mobo?

Maybe I'll wait for the ASUS CH7 x470 to come in stock and just buy it.

Why is stock of x470 boards so low?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yea I know. :(

Before I bought the 2700x I was playing with the idea of selling up and getting a 8700k for peace of mind. I opted for the least hassle which was just the CPU upgrade.

If I upgraded I'd buy the Prime Pro x470.

Did I just cheap out on the mobo?

Maybe I'll wait for the ASUS CH7 x470 to come in stock and just buy it.

Why is stock of x470 boards so low?

We are in the same boat, I'm pretty much set on changing to an 8700k setup this weekend, I can't waste any more time sadly.

I spent out on the CH6 but it hasn't helped.

Soldato
We are in the same boat, I'm pretty much set on changing to an 8700k setup this weekend, I can't waste any more time sadly.

I spent out on the CH6 but it hasn't helped.

Ouch. You mean you have 8 Pack ram and a CH6 and still ram is not playing ball?

This is a sorry state of affairs.

This makes me think buying a CH7 will be a waste of money.

Associate
OP
Ouch. You mean you have 8 Pack ram and a CH6 and still ram is not playing ball?

This is a sorry state of affairs.

This makes me think buying a CH7 will be a waste of money.

Sadly so, I haven't really made any progress either. At this point I think i'd rather spend a few hours swapping over than struggling any further.

I think the stutters may be windows related, but again I'm running out of time/patience to sort.

Soldato
Sadly so, I haven't really made any progress either. At this point I think i'd rather spend a few hours swapping over than struggling any further.

I think the stutters may be windows related, but again I'm running out of time/patience to sort.

And using the built in Stillts profile don't work?

This is quite ridiculous really. It just seems that at the very least Ryzen first gen (mobo/cpu) are just not very compatible with ram.

Sorry I derailed your thread and turned it on to mine. :D

Reading back it seems you have been OK running at 3000MHz?

I might try that tonight. But like you, the whole point of buying the 8 Pack ram and new CPU was to run the ram at 3200MHz.

It could just be a bios thing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
With the stutters, have you tried turning off Global C-States? There was a guy on Reddit with similar issues and that cured it for him.

I'll give this a go.

I'm going to have one last run at it on friday, then if still issues swap it out.

Soldato
An entire year and still ram issues on Ryzen.

:(

Is there such a thing as silicon lottery when it come to mobo as well?

It seems in the op's case he's board isn't capable of running high speed ram.

Exactly like my Prime Pro.

And in reality 3200MHz is pretty standard middle of the road.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's generally people not using b-die.

The fact I run my CPU at stock should I turn off the LLC 3 I have applied to it?

It's the only thing that seems to improve my chances of achieving 3200MHz but it just seems like a backwards approach to solving it.

My only chance is 1.4v on the dram and finding the right procODT I reckon.

What I dont get tho is without it the pc will freeze whilst in game with the ram overclocked.

---

The issue I have is I have literally done everything i can think of and am now going back to square one to try things I know don't work.

For example.. I am now running HCI. I reset my bios to default, upped the voltage to 1.4v on the dram and set procODT to 53Ohms (I've seen t mentioned that some find this a good value)

However minus the ProcODT the last time I tried this with out LLC on the CPU it passes 400% HCI but then crashes within 20mins in games.

Last edited:

HeX

HeX

Soldato
The fact I run my CPU at stock should I turn off the LLC 3 I have applied to it?

It's the only thing that seems to improve my chances of achieving 3200MHz but it just seems like a backwards approach to solving it.

My only chance is 1.4v on the dram and finding the right procODT I reckon.

What I dont get tho is without it the pc will freeze whilst in game with the ram overclocked.

---

The issue I have is I have literally done everything i can think of and am now going back to square one to try things I know don't work.

For example.. I am now running HCI. I reset my bios to default, upped the voltage to 1.4v on the dram and set procODT to 53Ohms (I've seen t mentioned that some find this a good value)

However minus the ProcODT the last time I tried this with out LLC on the CPU it passes 400% HCI but then crashes within 20mins in games.

You're running the Asus x370 prime pro yeah?

New BIOS just dropped with some big changes, might be worth giving it a shot!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8gj125/asus_prime_x370pro_bios_4011_released/

Soldato
Soldato
Hmm

To @Webzta

Try what I have done above.

Reset BIOS to defaults.

Set DOCP.

Change DRAM voltage to 1.4v and set your procODT to 53.

Test with HCI.

If you get any errors increase ProcODT up an increment. Some people say they need to use 68Ohms but mine seems to be running HCI 200% so far using ProcODT 53.

---

Edit check if you have a bios update as a new one has been posted for my board.

---

I managed to get to 300% with no errors. I stopped the testing, flashing the bios and will try the 3333 safe timings this time with Proc ODT starting at 53.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
And using the built in Stillts profile don't work?

This is quite ridiculous really. It just seems that at the very least Ryzen first gen (mobo/cpu) are just not very compatible with ram.

Sorry I derailed your thread and turned it on to mine. :D

Reading back it seems you have been OK running at 3000MHz?

I might try that tonight. But like you, the whole point of buying the 8 Pack ram and new CPU was to run the ram at 3200MHz.

It could just be a bios thing.

No problem I mainly posted as there must be others having issues and in the same boat.

Associate
OP
Hmm

To @Webzta

Try what I have done above.

Reset BIOS to defaults.

Set DOCP.

Change DRAM voltage to 1.4v and set your procODT to 53.

Test with HCI.

If you get any errors increase ProcODT up an increment. Some people say they need to use 68Ohms but mine seems to be running HCI 200% so far using ProcODT 53.

---

Edit check if you have a bios update as a new one has been posted for my board.

---

I managed to get to 300% with no errors. I stopped the testing, flashing the bios and will try the 3333 safe timings this time with Proc ODT starting at 53.
I'll have a run at it all on Friday and report back. Running latest BIOS 6004.

Soldato
@HeX - Regarding timings for the ram why cant we just leave the timings as they are and just change the speed to 3333MHz?

At the moment the ram did 300% in HCI before I stopped it at DOCP using 53ohms procODT and currently 3333MHz is HCI'ing at ProcODT 68.8ohms.

Failed at 3333MHz.

I'm gonna stick with 3200MHz. Just need to test game stability now. The big test of stability.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom