29 million Bulgarians and Romanians will gain the right to live and work unrestricted in our country

Permabanned
EU access restrictions will be lifted in December allowing this influx. Eric Pickles, the Communities Secretary, recently admitted that any influx will put pressure on housing services but claimed that he has no idea how many are likely to come. Worst hit will be East London boroughs where housing services are already strained. Mr Pickles’s comments followed claims last month from planning minister Nick Boles that migrant families accounted for nearly half of Britain's new housing needs.

Pickles may be frightened to predict how many Bulgarians and Romanians will move here because the previous administration grossly underestimated the numbers in 2004. It predicted fewer than 20,000 eastern Europeans would arrive but Office for National Statistics figures show more than 600,000 were working in Britain last year. Already, statistics have shown that Romania's population has fallen by more than 12 per cent since 2002 as hundreds of thousands leave the poverty-stricken nation for comparatively richer countries like ours.

From the start of next year 29 million Bulgarians and Romanians will gain the right to live and work unrestricted in our country under European “freedom of movement” rules. The NHS, housing and jobs market is already under pressure. We are faced with austerity cuts in essential services and high unemployment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20287061

To be honest I think this is the last thing great Britain needs right now. I am all for a bit of multiculturalism but this is too many at the wrong time.

Soldato
Yep,

No more. This is just getting ludicrous now.... last 10 years UK has just seen influx after influx. They need to block this crapp.

Australia has it right, you can't claim benefits and you are not just entitled to healthcare willy nilly and they also just deport people.

Permabanned
Lets ignore multiculturalism as it will derail the thread.

At a time when jobs are hard to come by, wages are being pressured the influx of more economic migrants will be a disaster, the last thing the nation needs is an influx of cheap labour.

Then of course we should think about the strain on local services, all of which are facing cutbacks.

Sadly, there is nothing than can be done about it.

Soldato
More great news for the middle-classes, bad news for the working classes.

No doubt the lefty-Guardian reading types rubbing there hands at the prospect of more cheap labour to pick from whilst branding anyone that speaks up about it as 'racist' or in this case 'xenophobic' (if only Romanians were black eh?).

It's one of the major hypocrisies of some left wingers. Claim to support the poor and speak up against 'attacks' on benefits whilst at the same time supporting the EU and limitless immigration which is one of the major reasons the working poor here need those benefits in the first place.

Soldato
Lets ignore multiculturalism as it will derail the thread.

At a time when jobs are hard to come by, wages are being pressured the influx of more economic migrants will be a disaster, the last thing the nation needs is an influx of cheap labour.

Then of course we should think about the strain on local services, all of which are facing cutbacks.

Sadly, there is nothing than can be done about it.

Multiculturalism can suck my balls. This is just purely about what is really best for this country.

Caporegime
Excellent, 61 million Britons just got the right to live and work in Romania and Bulgaria. Also, estimates suggest that the last wave of immigration significantly boosted our GDP - we could do with a bit of that.

Let's just hope we manage it a bit better this time round.

Associate
I hope they're not all like my flatmate who never flushes the toilet after leaving a raging deposit, always seems to stink of BO and thinks that washing a greasy frying pan with a bit of warm water will do. Bloody foreigners.

Permabanned
More great news for the middle-classes, bad news for the working classes.

No doubt the lefty-Guardian reading types rubbing there hands at the prospect of more cheap labour to pick from whilst branding anyone that speaks up about it as 'racist' or in this case 'xenophobic' (if only Romanians were black eh?).

It's one of the major hypocrisies of some left wingers. Claim to support the poor and speak up against 'attacks' on benefits whilst at the same time supporting the EU and limitless immigration which is one of the major reasons the working poor here need those benefits in the first place.

The poor need the benefits because of just how unequal Britain has become, immigration will have played a part but it's the wealth distribution trends over the last century that have placed the demographics where they are now. That is everything to do with the Establishment.

Soldato
The poor need the benefits because of just how unequal Britain has become, immigration will have played a part but it's the wealth distribution trends over the last century that have placed the demographics where they are now. That is everything to do with the Establishment.

Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming the fall of pay for the lowest works solely with immigration but I do think over the last 10 years (especially EU immigration from Eastern Europe) it has played a massive part.

The most extreme example of this is in the building trade where your average brickie is now on less than they were 10 years ago, not in 'real terms' but in actual physical amounts.

You can blame 'the establishment' but only that term doesn't really mean anything (unless you're a conspiracy nut who thinks anyone rich or powerful is part of some secretive organisation with one goal), but if by 'establishment' you mean business owners then of course they are going to hire the people who give them the most work for the smallest pay. That's the same market forces we all live by.

Soldato
You would have thought that Labour, the party of the working man, whilst in power would have stood up for the working man.
1357233786962.jpg

Permabanned
Estebanrey.

I used to work in the construction industry, specifically pay, I know a few card carrying brickies and those who can get work around the £12-13 an hour mark upwards. Which is a fair amount over years ago. It may have been suppressed, but with the average working out at around £20k a year I'm not convinced those still able to find work in the industry have suffered loss as you put it.

The Establishment is capitalised to signify the statehood aspect to the collective politik, although admittadely it isn't that straight forward because business leaders and capitalists also lap over into the category, and no it isn't a conspiracy.

Back
Top Bottom