2K build for graphic design

Associate
Hi learned forum posters.

I have offered to build a PC for a friend who works from home. He uses Corel and Adobe graphic design software and needs a PC to handle big design files quickly. He can budget upto 2K inc VAT and needs a new monitor to go with it but that is a separate budget.

Any thoughts, especially re graphics card. Games not played, but I know some cards can accelerate some graphics design software.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi learned forum posters.

I have offered to build a PC for a friend who works from home. He uses Corel and Adobe graphic design software and needs a PC to handle big design files quickly. He can budget upto 2K inc VAT and needs a new monitor to go with it but that is a separate budget.

Any thoughts, especially re graphics card. Games not played, but I know some cards can accelerate some graphics design software.

Thanks

Any more specific details of what they do/use the programs for ? Memory bandwidth can play a big part as well as thread count / CPU Cashe for extreme pieces of work . GPU can be used as an accelerator but depends on what's used and how etc

Seems corelDraw has been coded for multicore/thread CPUs which is handy, photoshop still prefers fast fewer cores (though recent updates may have change things around and depends on what version they are using )

Reading up, larger the files on Corel, the more dependant on ram . If you able to find out how bigger files on average they are working with , but seems 16GB should be considered as standard, lower latency the better

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks.

Mainly Corel Draw itself and Photoshop. Files are at least a few hundred MB each some a bit bigger. I was struggling to find info on Corel GPU usage. I was looking at 32GB RAM and a 1050/1050ti?

Soldato
Thanks.

Mainly Corel Draw itself and Photoshop. Files are at least a few hundred MB each some a bit bigger. I was struggling to find info on Corel GPU usage. I was looking at 32GB RAM and a 1050/1050ti?

If GPU usage isn't huge or acceleration isn't great, you could be looking at AMD Ryzen 1700 8 core/12 thread of Thread Ripper 1920x 12 core/24 threads to chew through work .
Ripper might be excessive if not CPU rendering is required .
But it does have advantage of quad channel which is idea for above situations ... Just the cost of two 2x 8GB 3600hz kits are £230

Associate
OP
I am not very up to date on AMD processors. Is the Ryzen 1700 a better bet than an i7-8700K. I see the Threadripper CPUs are expensive but maybe worth it?

Soldato
I am not very up to date on AMD processors. Is the Ryzen 1700 a better bet than an i7-8700K. I see the Threadripper CPUs are expensive but maybe worth it?

Thread ripper.
Overshot a little but 12c/24t with 3600hz ram and tight timings .
Storage is less then above

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,101.46 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Associate
OP
Those two builds are brilliant. Just the sort of ideas I needed thank you.

The monitor looks amazing but I think he may need a bigger desk!

Is the GT 1030 good enough to run any GPU acceleration he may need?

Man of Honour
Associate
OP
Excellent. I will advise him to get a bigger studio too! Glad the 1030 will do as means more money for RAM/CPU. I may reduce the storage hard drive as I am setting up a NAS drive for him for longer term storage which will back up to Onedrive.

Soldato
I would add an additional nvme drive to that system as a dedicated scratch disk for Adobe. Check the sizes of files he uses and go from there. You will probably get away with a 120Gb-250Gb.

Soldato
Thanks to AMD , good time for CPU as Intel getting the hands forced :D .

Both are solid lists bit nothings perfect, tweak to hearts content . Style is a hard one to judge as well as brand loyalty etc :)

Happy building, post pics when your getting it under way so we can judge you on cable management whilst hiding the fact our own is shocking haha

Associate
OP
Will do, but the Force is not strong in this one either!!!!

He has a big show coming up so will be a little while before I can complete it and swap out his current one. I would like to run them alongside each other for a while but he really doesn't have much space!

Soldato
Will do, but the Force is not strong in this one either!!!!

He has a big show coming up so will be a little while before I can complete it and swap out his current one. I would like to run them alongside each other for a while but he really doesn't have much space!

Nice to do bench marks and test between. Both systems of you can. Really hits home how much of improvement it is .
Did a Ryzen build for a friend doing CPU/GPU rendering g and 3D splicing and shaves off 10/20 hours off a 5 day render

If the GPU is lacking, he can always pick up a 2nd hand 1070 unit etc . Least the core is solid in either build

Back
Top Bottom