• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080TI launching this year $999 with 20GB VRAM

A programmer at iD software just said 8GB is the bare minimum for upcoming titles.

Lol, developers don't get to dictate what "enough" VRAM is, they tailor their titles to the market.

Steam hardware survey still shows 70% of people with less than 8GB. Any developer who makes their title *require* 8GB is a moron.

Lol, developers don't get to dictate what "enough" VRAM is, they tailor their titles to the market.

Steam hardware survey still shows 70% of people with less than 8GB. Any developer who makes their title *require* 8GB is a moron.

TBF the developer has a better insight than we do, no?

Feel free to ignore his advice, then :)

You can always turn the settings down to "low" :p

Ok after giving it much thought I have a upgrade plan.

As a stop gap measure I'm going to buy a RTX 3070 at launch in October to replace my 1080ti.
Then when they announce the RTX 3080 20Gb (Ti/Super/Whatever the hell they call it) I'll just sell the 3070 locally and buy the card that I actually want.
  • This way I get to play with my new toy fairy soon along with other children. :D
  • It won't cost me a arm and a leg.
  • It won't make waiting for NVIDIA to pull their finger out so bad. :rolleyes:
  • And I doubt I'll have a problem flipping the 3070 locally when the time comes (may have to take a small loss, no biggy).
So unless AMD crashes the party between now and October that's my master plan. ;)

Last edited:
Though the 20x0 series were pretty poor they have now successfully established these increased price points. The 3080 looks like it will offer good performance, and Nvidia were at pains to point out how it nearly doubled the 1080 Ti's performance at the same price, but it isn't a Ti. That will surely come in at around £1k again. At least this time it looks like there'll be a better performance increase to back it up.

The price is the price, you either accept it or you don't.
  • I never accepted the 2080ti price tag, and time has proven that to be the right call.
  • I do not accept the 3090 price tag, just like the 2080ti it's not good value. (it's like the humvee of GPUs, real crappy gas mileage lol).
  • I do accept the 3070 and 3080 price tag, but I reject the current VRAM configuration of those cards as insufficient.
Anywhere from £700 to £1000 would be reasonable for the right card imho.

As a stop gap measure I'm going to buy a RTX 3070 at launch in October to replace my 1080ti.
Then when they announce the RTX 3080 20Gb (Ti/Super/Whatever the hell they call it) I'll just sell the 3070 locally and buy the card that I actually want
Even if that is 6-9 months away? I think I’d rather have the 3080 10GB for that time and then take a decision on the upgrade when we have the specs and if I have found 10GB to be a limiter.

This rumour does sort of remind me of the Maxwell era.

Nvidia released the Titan X around March 2015 at £900ish and then by June had released a £300 cheaper 980Ti which was essentially a Titan X with half the VRAM....but at the time 6GB was plenty anyway.

Exactly :).

Anyone thinking we will see 3070 Ti with 16GB are dreaming that was a Lenovo misprint nothing more.

The 3080 Ti or Super that will come out will be 12GB max as the board has 12 memory spaces and they will just add 2GB more in 1GB ram chips in the free 2 memory spaces on the board, they will not add 2GB memory ram chips to a Ti or Super. Also with a slightly less disabled GPU so more cores.

Also the halo product (Titan/3090) always has double the vram of the Ti's. These halo cards are not aimed at gaming only they are used for real world applications that require more ram (CAD, rendering and scientific work).

I'm in two minds about waiting for the 3080Ti/Super with the 12GB and more cores because again it will be again $200 bump to the price at least. Also I'm not too sure the Super cards really are going to be the Ti replacement, my real feeling about the Super is it will stay with same ram and more cores as was done before for a slight refresh of the product and the Ti will remain the higher model (more ram, higher cores). So I think the super 3080 will still have 10GB, slight bump in cores and remain at same price.Then the normal 3080 can get a slight price drop if there is even stocks left by then as Nvidia basically stopped making the regular versions before and replaced them with supers at the same price.

All crying about 10GB you guys are wasting your time, 12GB is the 3080Ti max, so up to you if you want to wait for 2GB more, the Ti in my book is about more performance not more Vram. If the fabled 20GB 3080Ti comes out then expect to pay close to £1k+ as it is basically really close to a 3090 that sells £1.4k.

But again it all depends what AMD are doing and I have seen Nvidia panic before and do things that are not the normal for them. We will see but I don't believe the 3080Ti will have more than 12GB Vram and hopefully will have a nice amount of cores unlocked (almost 3090 performance and with a overclock slightly faster) and only a $200 price bump.

I have had a 980Ti classy since they appeared running on a 34" 1440p Ultra wide and still runs great today and it only has 6GB vram , what I'm finding now is I'm running out of GPU power to stay at high/very high/ultra on a few games to stay at 60fps on these very high settings and not a Vram issue.

Anyways happy to see Nvidia has sort of got their act together on pricing finally because the 2000 series was a really bad joke and as said before when companies do this behaviour with stupid prices don't buy them and encourage this as all that happens is we as users/customers lose out, there is a reality to paying for any product and if there is no value to the price then stay clear, the 2000 series was a complete rip off no matter how you look at it, they were testing the waters to make it the norm to pay £1k for their middle class cards that were in past £350-£400 max and high end was £500-650.

So in today's economic climate I still believe the 3080 really should be around £500-£550 max for the standard version made by Nvidia as it is a middle class card not high end like a Ti version that I believe again should be priced at £650-£700 max for again stock versions.

Also lets be real coming soon PS5/Xbox 1x they are not going to be selling for more than £500-550 basically price of a middle class card only and no need to go buy all the other bits to make a pc work.

Nvidia didn't do this out of their goodness of their heart, they did it because 2000 series flopped and next gen consoles are soon out too and gaming is changing again, a lot of people are enjoying sitting in their living room again and playing on large screens and Atmos/DTS-X sound setups with family and friends.

My issue now is wondering to grab a 3080 or just wait for a Ti for the extra performance and again keep that till something sensible comes out again as I have done in the past that is good value for what you get, 3080 is hitting that sweet spot for me and wondering to myself maybe forget about the Ti's this time round as I'm not too happy about paying more than what the 3080 is costing right now.

Last edited:
I'm afraid most of you don't really know about certain sectors of the market. MSFS, XP11 and P3D on my system eat up about 20GB on my P6000.

Most developers develop primarily with consoles in mind and then shove out a half-assed PC port. The new consoles have 16GB GDDR6 each, albeit with some reserved for system functions. Of course, you'll just be able to turn the settings down if you like. Nobody said you have to play on ultra.

I am sure we will get a 20GB card at some point. When, and whether it is a 3080, 3080S or 3080Ti will depend on what AMD do. Nvidia aren't going to use those golden chips unless they have to.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but won't we know for certain either way once the NDA on the AIB cards expires and we'll be able to see the PCB? If it's double-sided, 20GB is coming for sure since they'd never make it like that for no reason.

Most developers develop primarily with consoles in mind and then shove out a half-assed PC port. The new consoles have 16GB GDDR6 each, albeit with some reserved for system functions. Of course, you'll just be able to turn the settings down if you like. Nobody said you have to play on ultra.

That 16GB is total system memory isn't it? So that's for CPU and GPU.

"Some reserved for system functions"?

That's their total memory capacity. They have to hold the actual game program files in that memory too.

"Some reserved for system functions"?

That's their total memory capacity. They have to hold the actual game program files in that memory too.
I fail to see what your point is. It's still a massive increase on what developers currently have to work with on console. The current consoles have a unified pool too (of GDDR5). I didn't claim that games are going to start using 16GB+ VRAM. But even now we have games on PC pushing past 8GB and sometimes past 10GB on games designed to run on the current-gen consoles. With the shackles of those machines removed and developers given a far bigger, faster pool of memory to work with on the new ones, it would seem blatantly obvious to me that PC VRAM requirements are going to increase as well. One of id's lead developers said the other day that 8GB can be considered the bare minimum when buying a new graphics card if you want to play games designed for the next-gen consoles. I guess those who've decided they're going to buy a 3080 or 3070 will have the blinkers firmly in place and pretend they know better, but I know I certainly think these cards are going to age like milk on VRAM front. But again, you can just turn down some settings. I'm sure those who refuse to ever move a toggle from ultra will be buying a 3090 anyway and won't have to care about VRAM until the PS6 and Xbox XXX arrive in 2027.

I fail to see what your point is. It's still a massive increase on what developers currently have to work with on console. The current consoles have a unified pool too (of GDDR5). I didn't claim that games are going to start using 16GB+ VRAM. But even now we have games on PC pushing past 8GB and sometimes past 10GB on games designed to run on the current-gen consoles. With the shackles of those machines removed and developers given a far bigger, faster pool of memory to work with on the new ones, it would seem blatantly obvious to me that PC VRAM requirements are going to increase as well. One of id's lead developers said the other day that 8GB can be considered the bare minimum when buying a new graphics card if you want to play games designed for the next-gen consoles. I guess those who've decided they're going to buy a 3080 or 3070 will have the blinkers firmly in place and pretend they know better, but I know I certainly think these cards are going to age like milk on VRAM front. But again, you can just turn down some settings. I'm sure those who refuse to ever move a toggle from ultra will be buying a 3090 anyway and won't have to care about VRAM until the PS6 and Xbox XXX arrive in 2027.

Exactly

I’d like to bet a large proportion of people buying the 3070/3080’s will regret those purchase within 6 months or so. Or maybe given the relatively low cost of them, they may just see their purchase as a stop gap until another model or variant comes out with a more future proof amount of VRAM. I’ve excluded the 3090 from my comments due to the vast price difference as I believe this card is only of interest to the pure enthusiast and/or those who don’t need to justify the cost.

Back
Top Bottom