• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Caporegime
Yup I am most impressed by the build quality and quality of cooler, it really is extremely good and makes me question why even buy an AIB model in the future.

Still can't believe my CPU temp dropped by over 10 degrees too, not sure if that is down to the cooler itself and the way it dumps air now or if my undervolted vega 56 was just really that hot :p

Associate
It's funny because I'd said to my son that evening "I'll leave it to fate, I'll buy the first GPU I can find". I'd had no intention of getting a 3090, I was looking for 3070/3080's. Got it at basic retail price too so I just thought fudge it.

Associate
There’s only 2 minor “flaws” I can see in the FEs.

1) Why couldn’t they bundle a longer 12pin adaptor so the messy end can be hidden away?
2) Why isn’t the logo / text light provided as an RGB type in order to match the “V” light on the face and fit in with peoples build colour scheme. I’m likely to be switching mine off but I just don’t get this decision to have a mixture of mono and RGB.

Other than that this is a seriously chunky, robust piece of kit. Didn’t think I’d get my hands on one and would have to settle with an AIB variant at higher cost.

Associate
The 12 cable is a bit naff to be fair, an engineered bracket of some kind would have been nice just to hide the two 8 pin PSU cables.
I quite like the white GEFORCE RTX and the small V shaped customisable RGB line to be fair, I have far too much RGB on my motherboard and it's nice to turn it down and see the white writing pulsing on and off.

A2B

A2B

Associate
it's a good strategy. the maker's card has to be solid in all aspects, especially for the early reviews and as a quality baseline - but also not the best (else it gives the AIBs nowhere to go). So they don't have the best cooler performance-wise (well 70/80 at least), but v. good and more stylish.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Yeah, don’t think the 70/80 cooler is quite as good as the 90.

With a massive OC I can’t get my 3090FE any higher than 70C and even then it’s bloody quiet with the fan on Auto.

Soldato
1) Why couldn’t they bundle a longer 12pin adaptor so the messy end can be hidden away?

Whats puzzling is why have a 12 pin to start with? Are they trying to dictate to the market cable design? Whats wrong with two 8 pins?

With a massive OC I can’t get my 3090FE any higher than 70C and even then it’s bloody quiet with the fan on Auto.

Shame they chuck out so much heat though its not so bad this time of year don't have to turn the heating on but come summer people will be talking about how to undervolt their cards or invest in shares in aircon

A2B

A2B

Associate
I think they want a single connector that can carry all the current needed for long in the future (famous last words), ie. a new future-proof standard. don't some high-end cards already require 3 8pins? so you can see it's getting a mess, and a single connector for all card tiers probably does make sense long-term.

A2B

A2B

Associate
.. also don't know if this is true today, but back in the day many PSUs had multiple 12V rails, and you always had to worry that you didn't max out one rail for something while leaving others unused (which could overload the PSU on that rail). With a single cable all that goes away, as the PSU has to be able to supply the needed juice.

Caporegime
Whats puzzling is why have a 12 pin to start with? Are they trying to dictate to the market cable design? Whats wrong with two 8 pins?

Shame they chuck out so much heat though its not so bad this time of year don't have to turn the heating on but come summer people will be talking about how to undervolt their cards or invest in shares in aircon

I assume it has something to do with the evolving PSU standards?

Caporegime
.. also don't know if this is true today, but back in the day many PSUs had multiple 12V rails, and you always had to worry that you didn't max out one rail for something while leaving others unused (which could overload the PSU on that rail). With a single cable all that goes away, as the PSU has to be able to supply the needed juice.

Back in the day I had a quad rail 750W PSU.
My CPU would draw too much power and cause it to shut off (I had a 1055T that could do like 4.5GHZ on water)

Back
Top Bottom