• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

A2B

A2B

Associate
more adventures in GPU repaste land, in case it helps somebody.

if you recall, I did my first GPU repaste (3080FE) recently, but didn't have good quality paste so lost a few degres. and it's fairly runny, so I was worried about pump-out over time (google it if needed). I bought some Thermalright TFX SYY-157 as it's meant to be good performance and thick so it won't pump-out. The stuff is v. hard to spread (similar to the stock paste), but doable.

Of course I reused my Thermalright Odyssey memory pads from last time (and did the MOSFTEs with them this time) - bad idea, mem temps went right up to 108C again. It looks like these pads at least shouldn't be reused. I didn't move them, so they should have been in exactly the right spot, but I guess they compress and don't recover when you disassemble the heatsink - so they probably don't make good contact on a second mount. either that or there was an issue (eg. I assume the reported mem temp is the highest of all the chips, so a thermal issue on just one of them could throw it all off).

so, tear it all down again, repaste and repad everything again (lucky I bought a 120x120mm pad) = mem back to ~94C mining Eth @ +1100, and TFX perf seems great, around stock levels I guess (unless it gets better after a few thermal cycles).

Last edited:

A2B

A2B

Associate
Jesus. Mine is on 54c core mining ETH, mem 86c. Maybe the larger FE cooler on the 3090 helps somewhat more there. I used ThermalGrizzly paste after re-padding.

yeah pretty sure the bigger cooler helps there, plus maybe the 90 dies are better bins (efficiency wise). the 3070 is also more efficient than 80.

Associate
more adventures in GPU repaste land, in case it helps somebody.

if you recall, I did my first GPU repaste (3080FE) recently, but didn't have good quality paste so lost a few degres. and it's fairly runny, so I was worried about pump-out over time (google it if needed). I bought some Thermalright TFX as it's meant to be good performance and thick so it won't pump-out. The stuff is v. hard to spread (similar to the stock paste), but doable.

Of course I reused my Thermalright Odyssey memory pads from last time (and did the MOSFTEs with them this time) - bad idea, mem temps went right up to 108C again. It looks like these pads at least shouldn't be reused. I didn't move them, so they should have been in exactly the right spot, but I guess they compress and don't recover when you disassemble the heatsink - so they probably don't make good contact on a second mount. either that or there was an issue (eg. I assume the reported mem temp is the highest of all the chips, so a thermal issue on just one of them could throw it all off).

so, tear it all down again, repaste and repad everything again (lucky I bought a 120x120mm pad) = mem back to ~94C mining Eth @ +1100, and TFX perf seems great, around stock levels I guess (unless it gets better after a few thermal cycles).

I take it you tried re-using the TR Odyssey pads on the *core* side of the card (1.5mm), right?
Yeah. I don't think you can do that. Those pads are rather stiff and don't compress very much.
I was able to do that on my TM Odyssey 2mm pads (backplate side only!) and re-use them once (if it was less than a few weeks) on the *backplate* side, but that's because 2mm pads are already quite thick (stock on backplate VRAM is 1.0mm, actually, so most just use 1.5mm), so there's room for them to still fit on the backplate after a removal if you use 2mm or 1.5mm.

On the backplate side, the PCIE VRAM slot pad MUST be replaced if the card has been used for more than a few days, as that pad is always the first to harden up and dry out, and when it dries out, when you re-open the backplate, that pad just rips apart.

I was able to very successfully re-use Gelid Extreme (1.5mm) pads on the GPU Core side of the card, after 31 days, when I changed paste from TFX to SYY-157, and VRAM temps remained identical with no change, so that was a nice surprise. The pads were also in splendid shape and not melted. Assuming the Gelid Extreme pads conform to shape better due to being softer and not dried out (Gelid Extreme pads on the backplate side just end up melting and turning to mush on the very hot backplate (Does NOT affect performance), meaning they must be completely replaced when you open the backplate again. Gelid Ultimate pads will not turn into mush, but they harden up and rip very similar to Odyssey pads when they get very hot).

Associate
Its quite odd really. Looking at 3070 to 3070 Ti benchmarks shows that GDDR6X seems to do exactly zero for performance (the slight speed bump can be attributed to the increased core count), but here we are stuck with it on the current high end cards.

Seems like a similar case of Rambus all over again.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Its quite odd really. Looking at 3070 to 3070 Ti benchmarks shows that GDDR6X seems to do exactly zero for performance (the slight speed bump can be attributed to the increased core count), but here we are stuck with it on the current high end cards.

AMD seem to have come close without the X. They had to make a big step to close that gap too from the vega/rdna1 gen and considering how far behind they were on ray tracing they seem to have made the best of a bad situation. At least it keeps nvidia on their toes. Only thing to work on now is getting the prices down.

Associate

Apparently there's a big performance gain for gddr6x with mesh shaders which will become more prominent with ue5 so maybe the 3070ti etc have some untapped performance left in the tank

Soldato
Suing them for refusal of service…seriously?

Where is your ‘evidence’ no one on here got a ‘buy’ button. The last few pages are littered with people who got a 3080s in the last drop amongst other cards. It seemed to be a huge windfall for forum members compared to previous drops.

You do not *NEED* a 3080, you *WANT* a 3080 which is a luxury product to play video games. It isn’t, food, water, shelter etc.

Just because someone else has done a better job at getting hold of stock doesn’t give you the right to rant at a customer service person and sue them for refusal of service.

Whether or not you get a buy button is ultimately determined by when your page loads, how many others are loading the page and what caching your own browser and own ISP is doing behind the scenes. It’s a complete roll of the dice.

They have zero obligation to take PayPal, ranting at some customer service person is t going to change that, deal with it. Your bank constantly refuses these kind of payments because it looks like out of character spending, it’s certainly is out of character spending for you. Who’s betting you’ll also be straight out of the gate to sue them for not blocking out of character spending which is actually a scam. Take it up with them.

I was lucky I got my 3080FE when amazon pay was still accepted, my bank lloyds always blocks PC vendors for anything more than double figures. I probably would have ordered on a credit card if no amazon pay as the credit card companies seem to never block anything.

A2B

A2B

Associate
I take it you tried re-using the TR Odyssey pads on the *core* side of the card (1.5mm), right?

that's it.

Yeah. I don't think you can do that. Those pads are rather stiff and don't compress very much.

does seem so.

I was able to do that on my TM Odyssey 2mm pads (backplate side only!) and re-use them once (if it was less than a few weeks) on the *backplate* side, but that's because 2mm pads are already quite thick (stock on backplate VRAM is 1.0mm, actually, so most just use 1.5mm), so there's room for them to still fit on the backplate after a removal if you use 2mm or 1.5mm.

right, I have the 1.5mm on the backplate also, but I'm not sure they're doing anything after 3 re-uses (they didn't make much difference anyway). 2mm might be better.

On the backplate side, the PCIE VRAM slot pad MUST be replaced if the card has been used for more than a few days, as that pad is always the first to harden up and dry out, and when it dries out, when you re-open the backplate, that pad just rips apart.

I've not had any problems with the backside pads, they just stick to the backplate. they also haven't hardened yet (been running them a couple of weeks or so). I always run the GPU hot before opening though.

I was able to very successfully re-use Gelid Extreme (1.5mm) pads on the GPU Co[ re side of the card, after 31 days, when I changed paste from TFX to SYY-157

lol, I actually installed SYY-157, not TFX (was considering both and got mixed up). I'll edit my post.

Assuming the Gelid Extreme pads conform to shape better due to being softer and not dried out

yeah that could be why the stock pads on the die side seem to survive, mine at least are super squishy (white stuff with fibres).

(Gelid Extreme pads on the backplate side just end up melting and turning to mush on the very hot backplate (Does NOT affect performance), meaning they must be completely replaced when you open the backplate again. Gelid Ultimate pads will not turn into mush, but they harden up and rip very similar to Odyssey pads when they get very hot).

interesting.

Last edited:
Associate
Can anyone help with undervolting the 3070 ti fe , I'm a bit confused what I want to be aiming for really. Also can someone explain the difference between undervolting and reducing the power limit in afterburner? Ta

Associate
Can anyone help with undervolting the 3070 ti fe , I'm a bit confused what I want to be aiming for really. Also can someone explain the difference between undervolting and reducing the power limit in afterburner? Ta
I can definitely recommend watching Optimum Tech's video on YouTube about it - but there's also a few really good guides on Reddit. If you google 'RTX 3070 FE undervolt' the first link titled 'small beginners guide' is a good starting point although worth being aware it is for a 3070 vs. the Ti.

You're basically aiming for the same performance at lower voltage - meaning less power/heat and sometimes higher headroom for more performance. I've got my 3070 undervolted, at 875mV and 1905Mhz and then +1000 on the memory clock too. Ran without any issues for an hour in Heaven 4.0 whilst I tested it and it means that temperature only ever peaks at 66/67 deg.

Back
Top Bottom