• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
RTX 3080 FEs are out of stock now. It's good to see them available for hours now, rather than minutes.
Yes, it's only going to improve now the word is out. Lots of tech sites with stories about the crypto crash and don't buy now, so your average gamer will be aware. Going to be much harder to sell old tech at inflated prices.

Associate
Still need to build a new pc and replace the dying shambles of a machine i have now, but had been put off until much later as the chance of getting one of the 30xx cards was pretty slim.
Now they seem to be around for a little longer, is it best to grab one now or maybe wait a few months till the 40xx series is out ?
Wasn't sure if to get the 3060ti or 3070ti ?.

Soldato
It depends. I'd say that a RTX 3070 is plenty for 1080p /ultra preset (60+ framerates in 99% of games), RTX 3060 TI also performs well.

I don't expect Nvidia's next gen to have improved cost per frame, but the premium 4080s/4090s should be a significant improvement in performance, likely 40-50% respectively. But, it seems highly likely that they will use more power and more extensive cooling. I think we will basically be getting a scaled up Ampere on 5nm EUV.

If you are playing at resolutions above 1080p, probably worth waiting. I think RDNA3 could be quite competitive, hopefully with improved yields.

Last edited:
Soldato
Still need to build a new pc and replace the dying shambles of a machine i have now, but had been put off until much later as the chance of getting one of the 30xx cards was pretty slim.
Now they seem to be around for a little longer, is it best to grab one now or maybe wait a few months till the 40xx series is out ?
Wasn't sure if to get the 3060ti or 3070ti ?.
Grab a 30xx series at MSRP. You will just find yourself in the same position with the 40xx series

Soldato
Yes, I suspect Nvidia won't want to sell many reference models of the 4000 series at first, AMD barely sold any and didn't even sell RDNA2 ref. models in the UK. Both companies can make a lot more money from aibs. But they do (massively) benefit from improved reputation and positive reviews of reference models for the latest generation of gfx cards. from tech journalists.

Maybe it will take 1-2 years for the high end cards to become more readily available. This might not be true if Nvdia/AMD decide to charge much higher prices for reference models (although this isn't very good from a reputation point of view).

Last edited:
Associate
Grab a 30xx series at MSRP. You will just find yourself in the same position with the 40xx series
Did think this, that any stock will be snapped up very quickly. Resulting in maybe waiting even longer.
My poor old current pc can take about 10 mins to load, thats just for web browsing as its too old and slow to play anything

Associate
My 2 brothers and 1 of my friends managed to grab a 3060 ti founders yesterday. That makes 6x 3060 ti FE I've helped friends and family secure over the past year. They are upgrading from a 1070, a 480 4gb and Intel iGPU because of a busted R9 390 so should love the extra performance. I have a 3080 ti myself but I just can't recommend anything other than a 3060 ti (except maybe the 3080 FE) as it's got great price to performance unless you have a very specific reason for wanting more. I see it's sold out now though.

Soldato
Did think this, that any stock will be snapped up very quickly. Resulting in maybe waiting even longer.
My poor old current pc can take about 10 mins to load, thats just for web browsing as its too old and slow to play anything
Well it sounds like you need a bit more than just a new GPU then. You need to look at solid state drives for your operating system really.

In regard to the gpu specifically. There is never really a bad time to make an upgrade your gpu if you haven't upgraded for a few years. Just make sure you buy the best gpu that you can stretch to and then save a bit more and get the next one up. I personally look at upgrading GPU every 3-5 years and I'll even wait a bit longer if the current card still performed well. I went from a 1080ti to a 3090 and it's exactly what I expected the performance to be like. I originally wanted the 3080ti but figured I'd just stretch to the 3090 with its extra vram and be done with it for a few years.

Associate
Well it sounds like you need a bit more than just a new GPU then. You need to look at solid state drives for your operating system really.

In regard to the gpu specifically. There is never really a bad time to make an upgrade your gpu if you haven't upgraded for a few years. Just make sure you buy the best gpu that you can stretch to and then save a bit more and get the next one up. I personally look at upgrading GPU every 3-5 years and I'll even wait a bit longer if the current card still performed well. I went from a 1080ti to a 3090 and it's exactly what I expected the performance to be like. I originally wanted the 3080ti but figured I'd just stretch to the 3090 with its extra vram and be done with it for a few years.
Its going be a complete new build. Am sure i got my current pc in 2007 lol.

Soldato

I used to have this strategy but having looked at the figures in moving to buying midrange but upgrading more often, probably every generation.

G J

G J

Associate
lol scalpers still buying fe cards to scalp for measly profits.

I just checked some FE 3060ti's listings and people are still buying them for £450 and after fees and postage one clears about £400 so about £30 they make unless they list them on fee promotions. Not worth the risk tbh.

edit: Forgot people have to pay postage on a direct FE purchase so the profit could be even less.

Good to see some have sold under FE msrp, no point buying them used when you can get them direct.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom