• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Does anyone else think that the price / performance of the RTX 4000 series will be about the same? So, maybe 40% improved performance for the RTX 4080 and RTX 4080 TI. But, probably 40% increase in price also. This seems like a reasonable assumption, given that the power requirements are thought to be very high.

Also, there is increased complexity and cost involved in designing CPUs and cards at the 5nm (EUV) scale.

I think at the very high end, the 'RTX 4090 TI' could be priced around the same as the RTX 3090 TI (£1,879), but be released sometime next year, and could be 50% faster than the 3090 TI.

So, that would put the price of the RTX 4080 at £900, and the RTX 4080 TI at ~£1,468. Maybe the reference models could be priced upto £100 less.

Would you pay £800 for a RTX 4080 FE, if the performance was 40% better than the RTX 3080?

What about ~£609 for a RTX 4070 FE that is overall 30% faster than the RTX 3070?

Or, do you think competition from AMD will force Nvidia to reduce prices, perhaps down to £700 for an RTX 4080 reference model?

Last edited:
Soldato
i tell you this, there will not be a big price rise, theres only really gamers buying now, we have acost of living crisis worldwide, so neither amd/nv will come out with vastly more expensive cards , theres no money in the world, there will be a smaller increase, obviously down to parts prices, labour prices dont apply as most made in the sweatshops in china

Soldato
I've got a sneaky feeling that this 40 series generation will be a subdued affair.

I've got a 3090 (also had a 3080) that runs fantastic, and in all honesty after we've all been scalped through the 30 series. I don't think there are enough (if any) AAA games that warrant spending any more money on a GPU, no matter how great the 40 series might be. You need the games to justify spending the cash. It'll only be the epeen punters buying, chasing the numbers.

IMO. :D

Associate
If new gen prices are too bananas I’ll stay with my 1080Ti a while longer and hunt for a bargain 3 series card. One thing the last couple of years has taught me is that I don’t need the latest hardware to enjoy gaming. £800 for a 4080? Not sure about that, it’ll need to be pretty amazing for me to fork over that much. Although plenty of others will still fight over them.

Associate
I've got a sneaky feeling that this 40 series generation will be a subdued affair.

I've got a 3090 (also had a 3080) that runs fantastic, and in all honesty after we've all been scalped through the 30 series. I don't think there are enough (if any) AAA games that warrant spending any more money on a GPU, no matter how great the 40 series might be. You need the games to justify spending the cash. It'll only be the epeen punters buying, chasing the numbers.

IMO. :D
Only benefit of next gen is 4K capability. Pushing >144fps @4K at Max settings. I’ve had a 3090 FE that struggles @4K and tbh wasn’t happy with spending £1399. So I downgraded to the bottom and am fairly content at 1440p Ultra settings.

Associate
If new gen prices are too bananas I’ll stay with my 1080Ti a while longer and hunt for a bargain 3 series card. One thing the last couple of years has taught me is that I don’t need the latest hardware to enjoy gaming. £800 for a 4080? Not sure about that, it’ll need to be pretty amazing for me to fork over that much. Although plenty of others will still fight over them.
For me £380 was steep back in 2020 but now the bottom of the stack 60ti FE costs that much. I tried a 3090 and 3080ti and a 3080 FE, just couldn’t justify the improvement in gaming perf @1440p over the 3060ti FE for double or triple the price.

Associate
That's good to hear from someone that's used them all.
As I mined with them all I used to use them on games and even Watchdogs Legion, Red Dead struggled on a 3090 @4K and 1440p was a more comfortable resolution. I managed to sell them all for what I paid (plus a tiny profit from a high street retailer which some say makes me a scalper lmao!)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Does anyone else think that the price / performance of the RTX 4000 series will be about the same? So, maybe 40% improved performance for the RTX 4080 and RTX 4080 TI. But, probably 40% increase in price also. This seems like a reasonable assumption, given that the power requirements are thought to be very high.

Also, there is increased complexity and cost involved in designing CPUs and cards at the 5nm (EUV) scale.

I think at the very high end, the 'RTX 4090 TI' could be priced around the same as the RTX 3090 TI (£1,879), but be released sometime next year, and could be 50% faster than the 3090 TI.

So, that would put the price of the RTX 4080 at £900, and the RTX 4080 TI at ~£1,468. Maybe the reference models could be priced upto £100 less.

Would you pay £800 for a RTX 4080 FE, if the performance was 40% better than the RTX 3080?

What about ~£609 for a RTX 4070 FE that is overall 30% faster than the RTX 3070?

Or, do you think competition from AMD will force Nvidia to reduce prices, perhaps down to £700 for an RTX 4080 reference model?
I highly doubt it. Price for performance will need to improve, not stay the same 2+ years on.

I would pay £700-£750 for a 4080 FE which will need to be no less than 40% better Rasta, and hopefully double RT.

Soldato
@TNA - £700 for a RTX 4080 FE could be possible. I think Nvidia will wait for RDNA3 to release, so that they can price accordingly. AMD is playing catch up and needs to improve GPU die production, I think it will largely depend on what they decide to do this time around. One thing to watch for, will be have many reference models AMD decides to produce, and will they be available in all markets. That's probably a good indicator of how competitive they've decided to be.

I think one troubling thing for AMD, is that even if they double ray tracing performance of RDNA2, that still might not be enough to hit 60 FPS in many titles at 4K. They would have to rely more on FSR 2.0 in this case, and hope more developers implement this in games. But, they have apparently improved the IPC of their RDNA3 Compute Units, which should help.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Associate
By that I presume you mean RT or badly optimised titles?
Yeah, basically. RT at 1440p I can see being a sticking point in some games. Generally, I'd guess it'll be about there.

Pinches of salt etc. As we haven't seen any performance, but I'd say a 4070 should be full fat 1440p, and slightly better than 3080 generally.

If I was looking to upgrade for 1440 next gen, it's what I'd target.

Soldato
I think waiting until Late October / early November will be a good idea (doubt Nvidia will release before then anyway). Seems likely that RDNA3 will be released by then (but not necessarily available to buy).

Last edited:
Soldato
Only benefit of next gen is 4K capability. Pushing >144fps @4K at Max settings. I’ve had a 3090 FE that struggles @4K and tbh wasn’t happy with spending £1399. So I downgraded to the bottom and am fairly content at 1440p Ultra settings.

You could be right, I've played the handful of AAA titles that hammer Raytracing that even have the 3090 'struggling', and yet the rest of the games that I play I find myself using DLDSR to run them in 4k....It looks superb on my 1440p monitor, and the 3090 can keep the frames well over 60 easily, and in most cases over 100fps.
So.. 4K at 100fps for me is going to be the next shopping milestone, and only if there are the titles to warrant it.

Associate

Same here, and I'm still on a 1070. I`ve been picking up slightly "old" games dirt cheap, and they run great on my setup. I would have bought an RTX3070/80 at msrp, but the price rises put me off. I've skipped another generation, and I'm now glad that I did. Far Cry 6, AC Valhalla (current game), Project Cars 2 etc all run great, mostly over 60fps at high settings.

Associate
i tell you this, there will not be a big price rise, theres only really gamers buying now, we have acost of living crisis worldwide, so neither amd/nv will come out with vastly more expensive cards , theres no money in the world, there will be a smaller increase, obviously down to parts prices, labour prices dont apply as most made in the sweatshops in china
There is a cost of living crisis and everything has become more expensive, I don't think GPUs will suddenly become cheaper because it will really cost them more to make and deliver them to customers.

Back
Top Bottom