• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
The 3080ti is £300 cheaper than the 3090 and has almost identical gaming performance?
But when yi
Indeed. But the 3090 is terrible value already. Its 15% better than a 3080 at best at gaming. Yet costs 2x.
The 3080Ti, costs £400 more than the 3080FE. Sure its nearly as fast as the 3090, but as said thats only 15%~ at best anyway.

To me... if your going to spend the money on an 80Ti, why not spend the extra for the 3090? You get 2x the VRAM (should that ever become an issue in the future...)
It isnt an LHR card, which might help recover some of the outlay down the line.
And in FE guise, you get the much bigger cooler.

Still, neither the 3080Ti or the 3090 make any sense financially next to the 3080 when talking gaming.
+3 so spend the extra and get the best it’s only £300 if money is an issue 3080 is a great card

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Indeed. But the 3090 is terrible value already. Its 15% better than a 3080 at best at gaming. Yet costs 2x.
The 3080Ti, costs £400 more than the 3080FE. Sure its nearly as fast as the 3090, but as said thats only 15%~ at best anyway.

To me... if your going to spend the money on an 80Ti, why not spend the extra for the 3090? You get 2x the VRAM (should that ever become an issue in the future...)
It isnt an LHR card, which might help recover some of the outlay down the line.
And in FE guise, you get the much bigger cooler.

Still, neither the 3080Ti or the 3090 make any sense financially next to the 3080 when talking gaming.

This. Due to this though it was extremely hard to secure one. 649 back in September/October you were up against millions and bots. Retailers had no decent checks in place at the time either. The Ti was not even available so some just got the 3090 as it was available (sometimes for over 20 mins as it was so expensive).

Luckily the crypto boom took off at the right time and well its paid for itself now, for me anyway. It also has dev uses and I would occasionally do that on my rig as my work laptop is not worth comparing to it for analysis jobs.

Man of Honour
There are a whole bunch of 3060 Ti FE listings live right now in the mid-£700s that aren't selling.
Live listings are pointless, because auctions are frequently sniped. I sold a GPU on ebay recently, 7 day listing, and the price increased by over 40% in the last 7mins.
Fact is if you look at recent sales nearly all 3060Tis are being bought for over £700.

Associate
Anyone running a 3090 on an older rig?

I am on an i7-5960X Processor and was wondering if it would bottleneck a 3090?

I got the card mainly for work (rendering in Blender) but will game on it as well. Any thoughts?

Soldato
Live listings are pointless, because auctions are frequently sniped. I sold a GPU on ebay recently, 7 day listing, and the price increased by over 40% in the last 7mins.
Fact is if you look at recent sales nearly all 3060Tis are being bought for over £700.
I'm talking about Buy It Now listings, not auctions. There are loads of 3060 Tis listed at the moment from just under £700 upwards, available for purchase right now at that price. Fact is, they're not exactly flying off the shelves.

Man of Honour
As of rn there's only 4 priced under £725, which is around where some go on auction, if prices are falling the way people are saying the buyers probably want to try and bag one cheaper in an auction.

I think it's fair to say there has been a modest correction and perhaps those £750 cards woyldnt have been hanging around 6 weeks ago, but prices are still bonkers, double mrsp basically.

Man of Honour

I got the card mainly for work (rendering in Blender) but will game on it as well. Any thoughts?

Running a 3070FE on a 2013 era overclocked Xeon 1650 V2 (a little faster than a stock Ryzen 2000 series) at 1440p average FPS isn't hugely bottlenecked but min FPS can be as much as 40% down on latest and greatest CPUs. At 4K difference would be less again though 3070FE isn't really a 4K GPU except on last gen games and older.

Associate
Has anyone got experience of using the EZDIY 12 pin to dual 8 pin PCIe sleeved extension cable for 3000 series cards, particularly experience with a 3080 FE card? Or heard good or bad stories about others using it? It is available in the UK for £12.59 with next day delivery. It is 18awg cable so not recommended for 3090 but claims to be fine for 3080 and below and has a few decent Amazon reviews. I have seen that the CableMod custom option is supported/recommended by Nvidia but it looks like they have a ~3+ week wait and is going to cost £50-60. Has anyone heard bad stories about the EZDIY one frying cards etc? I have seen some reports of the cheap moddiy cable frying cards.

It also seems Nvidia suggest using an alternate cable or extension would void the warranty (aside from the CableMod custom option) - how would they even know what cable you’ve used?

Soldato
They've not formally said that there will be no LHR FEs.. the 3080Ti is limited, just check the card reviews.

They have told publications they will not be making LHR FE cards of versions which already exist: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/nvidia-lhr-cards-no-founders-edition/

"Founders Edition is a limited production graphics card sold at MSRP," Nvidia told us this afternoon, "and at this point we don’t have plans to make versions with LHR."

However in case of 3080Ti FE and 3070Ti FE will come with the LHR limiter as standard as the limit is applied as part of the base specs, why AIBs for those models do not need to say they are LHR models. In theory means the FE models that came out prior to LHR so 3060Ti, 3070, 3080 and 3090 will come without limits if PCgamer got a correct answer. FE 3080Ti and 3070Ti would still have LHR applied.

Associate

Skylake bottlenecks anything above 3070.
My 3080 FE just arrived. Love the solid feel. It will take pride of place in my Zen 4 build. For now it will be in my mining rig, muwhahaha!

Back
Top Bottom