32" AOC 1440p monitor - any good?

Associate
I just did the same, and I ran them both side by side to compare. The colours & contrast of the old VA panel is better when fully calibrated (very very good, actually), whereas the colours don't pop as much on this one. That is pretty much down to the switch from VA to IPS, but I wasn't disappointed either way, you can't have everything. The panel surface is matte now instead of shiny, which didn't really bother me with the old one but I imagine it would be annoying for some. Most importantly though, the smeary vaseline ghosting of the VA model in dark scenes is gone, which is massive for me. It doesn't quite feel as crisp/sharp as the VA, but that could just be the windows settings.

Either way, for a cheap 32inch 1440p gaming monitor with Freesync support, really can't go wrong for 200 quid.

Have you calibrated the VA panel yourself? Or do you mean the profile from Pcmonitors review? Because with that profile and the osd settings they mention my panel is too green. If you calibrated yourself could you please share your profile and osd settings? I have a suspicion that AOC changed something since the review went live and their profile isn't accurate anymore.

Soldato
As noted in the review: "Note that the ICC profile is specific to our unit and, along with the OSD settings, it may not be optimal for all units."

There is always going to be variation between different units of the same model. You can't simply copy somebody else's settings or apply somebody else's ICC profile and expect things to look perfect. You'd need to tweak your own unit according to what you see and its own colour setup.

Associate
As noted in the review: "Note that the ICC profile is specific to our unit and, along with the OSD settings, it may not be optimal for all units."

There is always going to be variation between different units of the same model. You can't simply copy somebody else's settings or apply somebody else's ICC profile and expect things to look perfect. You'd need to tweak your own unit according to what you see and its own colour setup.

I ended up using the icc and leaving the colour settings at "Normal". Looks ok to me now but I think, also, enough time has passed that I got used to it.

Soldato
Oh wow so my VWF will work with GSYNC? Will try tobigut :) . Have to say, at first I didbtd notice it, but compared to my Samsung 4k TV and the 120Hz laptop display, it's really brought me to notice how much ghosting this monitor does !

got this monitor (even though i have the VA model also, i will return this to amazon cause it had dead pixels).

very happy except the ips glow (only in the left side of the screen), how is everyones regarding that?

also tried expanding the freesync range.
the lowest the VA model could do was ~42 (if i remember correctly).
this can do 39 flicker free everywhere. (settings in cru: 38-76).
and 37 flicker free ONLY in NON fullscreen EXCLUSIVE games. (settings in cru: 36-76).

so if the game uses windowed fullscreen mode (i think most "new" games use that) you can use it at 37 and that triggers freaking LFC!!!!!!!!!!! so i get freesync range all the way to 1fps!!!!!!!!!

i am excited!

update: actually i am having problems with settings bellow 38 in cru, will investigate and update again.

Last edited:
yeah, 38-76 seem to be the limit for freesync on amd gpu, some users have reported that 36-76 works on nvidia gpus flicker free.

has anyone tried the color settings mentioned in those 2 reviews?
a) https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-q3279vwfd8/
b) https://ithardware.pl/testyirecenzj..._1440p_75_hz_i_freesync_za_899_zl-7607-4.html

a)
Brightness= 60, Red= 50, Green= 44, Blue= 45
b)
Brightness= 47, Red= 50, Green= 42, Blue= 41

for me both of them look kinda "red-ish" (especially the second one).
how do they look to you?

for now i use Brightness= 47, Red= 50, Green= 50, Blue= 50.

Man of Honour
I'm feeling a bit silly because I'm sure I've missed something obvious, but here goes:

I'm not seeing how to enable adaptive sync on this monitor with an nvidia card. I'm using a 1070Ti and I have the latest drivers installed (418.91), but I can't find any setting on either the monitor OSD or the nvidia control panel to enable freesync/gsync compatible. The "Extra" setting in the monitor OSD shows refresh rate ("V. Frequency") as 75Hz. nvidia control panel has no mention of gysnc in it. So what am I missing?

EDIT: I'm using DisplayPort, set to 1.2

Man of Honour
That option does not appear for me. Nothing between "Adjust desktop size and position" and "Set up multiple displays".

Guides I've seen online state that Freesync must be enabled on the monitor before the "Set up G-SYNC" option will appear in the drivers.

Man of Honour
@Angilion DDU and full driver reinstall?

That's a possibility, but there's this:

Guides I've seen online state that Freesync must be enabled on the monitor before the "Set up G-SYNC" option will appear in the drivers.

I've seen that repeatedly from different sources. I've no idea if it's true or not. Did you have to make any changes on the monitor OSD?

Back
Top Bottom