330 CI Sport, circa 02/03

NickXX said:
Lol, he's looking for a manual which handles well and isn't too thirsty. Otherwise, good find :p

Yeah, I know, but if he's doing a lot of mway driving, handling and manual isn't so important, and for "fun" at the weekends, well, not much is going to replace with the teg anyway. Whether he buys a 330 or whatever, he'll still be missing the teg at the weekend. May as well go the whole hog and buy a luxobarge.:D

I'm suprised fox hasn't been in this thread yet, but to beat him to it,

what about a E39 facelift 530D or I.

Would be very happy on the motorway and would be an excellent car to turn up to clients in.

I would imagine they would be cheaper to buy than a 3 series as well. (possibly meaning you could keep the Teg)

NickXX said:
Yikes - that's crazy! Although I guess you'd never buy a supercharged-V8 if you were after economy ;)

I'm sure he'd get better mpg if he wasn't so obsessed with the results he gets from pressing the throttle pedal into the carpet!

If I run up loads of miles onto the Integra it'll be worth about £3.50 in two years. That's the main worry. It's just not that sort of car you could shift with massive mileage on it whereas people dont worry about 100,000 on a 3.0 BMW. Funny thing is the Honda engine doesn't need any significant attention untill 125,000 miles yet it'd be difficult trying to convince someone the engine will do 200k if looked after well, despite the fact it's the truth.

Also, whilst it's very comfy to sit in - it's a bit noisy for doing regular motorway miles. I've been on lots of motorway treks in it and it's fine, but I couldnt take it up and down the motorway all week long - it'd drive me nuts. Motorway use is ok - but in moderation. Zero sound proofing.

530 I'd not be keen on really. Lovely car but I'd like something i could have fun with on the weekend, it's just not nimble enough for my liking, & there's the question of yet more lard with the 5 over the 3.

Not overly keen on a Diesel tbh, will definately give it some thought, but I just dont like them.

merlin said:
Not overly keen on a Diesel tbh, will definately give it some thought, but I just dont like them.

I wouldnt bother then if your not 100% on a diesel. I think I know what you mean.....good potential to be fast and good economy, but it doesnt have the smoothness, the sound etc that makes a petrol engine more enjoyable.

merlin said:

Give one a test drive anyway - the 3.0d engine has converted a lot of petrolheads in the past. They are very refined engines, and quieter than the petrols on the motorway. Being a straight-6 it still has a meaty roar when giving it something to talk about :)

NickXX said:
Give one a test drive anyway - the 3.0d engine has converted a lot of petrolheads in the past. They are very refined engines, and quieter than the petrols on the motorway. Being a straight-6 it still has a meaty roar when giving it something to talk about :)
Shame you only get three seconds of roar before you hit the limiter :p

Having thought about it, *I* only get about three seconds between gear changes.

One second is more like it
icon14.gif

I would be suprised if you will get a 330Cd for £16k. You will have considerably more choice of 330Ci.

Realistically, if you want the 330d, you can have either a saloon or a touring for your budget, both of which are excellent. It is the 2003 6 speed models onwards which have 204bhp. The ones before this are 184bhp, diesel wise.

You get 231bhp with the petrol version, the engine is identical to the one in your brothers 530i.

Nissan 350z?

330ci will feel so numb after the DC5, it feels numb after my E36. You never feel like you are actually accelerating in the 330, they deffo need some induction/exhaust noise adding for starters. I also feel a lack of feedback in them, it feels like the wheels are too far removed from the chassis - it is hard to know where you are at grip wise (even though there is a lot of it)
Not driven a 'sport' so maybe it has the added feeling the standard one needs.

Great motorway car though, huge refinement and pretty tireless to drive long distances.

I think the 6sp you see is people with the SSG Paddle shift models being sneaky and advertising as a manual? (SSG being the E36 SMG box - pants)

merlin said:
Also, whilst it's very comfy to sit in - it's a bit noisy for doing regular motorway miles. I've been on lots of motorway treks in it and it's fine, but I couldnt take it up and down the motorway all week long - it'd drive me nuts. Motorway use is ok - but in moderation. Zero sound proofing.
I thought they added sound proofing to the later Integra, no?

Magsy said:
Nissan 350z?

I think the 6sp you see is people with the SSG Paddle shift models being sneaky and advertising as a manual? (SSG being the E36 SMG box - pants)

There's a 5 speed box on the earlier ones, and a 6 speed on the later ones. There is also the SMG option available on the 330i.

Back
Top Bottom