330 CI Sport, circa 02/03

Suspended
NickXX said:
I think an F1-style sequential gearbox is something different. Could be barking up the wrong tree here though - might get the Technical Lexicon out of my car later and see what that says.
The F1 gearboxes in the Ferraris are effectively a manual gearbox with electrically controlled changes. They aren't like a normal automatic, which creeps as soon as you take your foot off the brake, you have to press the throttle, which then engages the clutch. Which is why they're soo bloody hard to drive in traffic. They are sequential though, even in automatic mode. There are some funky features too, which I can't be bothered to go in to here :)

Last edited:
Soldato
panthro said:
I thought that SMG (sequential manual gearbox) is what was described on how stuff works?
No no, it's describing a "sequential gearbox", or a "sequential manual transmission". They seem careful in not using "sequential manual gearbox".

Soldato
OP
Want a manual, not really into auto/semi auto etc.

Looks pretty certain I'm going to have to change now. Teg is worth £15k easily as it stands, but I'll probably get nailed to £14,500 or so leaving me to find £1500 to keep the kity up to £16k. No big deal.

Still keen on the 330 ci. Been nosing around forums and people complain about the fbw throttle delay. Is it really that bad? 31 mpg per parkers - is that realistic? And how much will servicing cost? £400 every 13,000/14,000 miles about right?

Caporegime
merlin said:
Still keen on the 330 ci. Been nosing around forums and people complain about the fbw throttle delay. Is it really that bad? 31 mpg per parkers - is that realistic? And how much will servicing cost? £400 every 13,000/14,000 miles about right?

You'll definately notice it after your razor sharp throttle response

Soldato
OP
Simon said:
You'll definately notice it after your razor sharp throttle response

I know I'm going to have to compromise, drove courtesy Civic 2 weeks ago and it felt like the throttle beamed a signal to a satelite then back to the engine. Really mushy, flat and unresponsive and I think that's got a cable lol :)

Soldato
merlin said:

31mpg is realistic for motorway driving - the 330i is surprisingly economical.

£400 is the cost of an Inspection 2 which only needs to be done every 4th service. It goes Oil Service-Inspection 1- Oil Service-Inspection 2. Inspection 2 is most expensive service.

The 330i engine is on variable servicing routines which vary depending on your average MPG. I think the interval varies between 15,000-20,000 miles depending on how you drive.

Soldato
Can I just say, if you do 30k per annum you should really consider the diesel tbh. I think with that kind of mileage you will save money (even if the car costs more to start with), and you will also spend less time at the pumps. :)

Soldato
GhostsForge said:
Just out of interest, why is this engine rubbish :confused:

He's after a 530i Sport manual at the moment and having real difficulty finding one. It's just bitterness :p

The engine really is quite fantastic :)

Back
Top Bottom