• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3700x temps

Soldato
So I've had the stock cooler in and off a few times now (which is a pain in the area BTW). My temps are idling in the 60vs, although they don't seem to change much. I couldn't put new paste on as I don't have any (only using what was on the cooler). Do you guys think it's purely that, when I first put it on the temps were mid 50's. Using the Ryzen master software, the temps keep bouncing all over the place, although i don't know if that just lists the hottest core?

TrM

TrM

Associate
The idle temps are high across the board atm . With agredsive boosting and high voltage on single and duel core boosting keeping the temps higher at idle.

On my custom loop system my idle temps are mid 50s all core boost low 60s bios revisions and software tweeks to agreeive boosting will help keep the temps down in the future

Although if you have reseated the cooler a few times I would highly recommend getting some heat past though

Permabanned
So I've had the stock cooler in and off a few times now (which is a pain in the area BTW). My temps are idling in the 60vs, although they don't seem to change much. I couldn't put new paste on as I don't have any (only using what was on the cooler). Do you guys think it's purely that, when I first put it on the temps were mid 50's. Using the Ryzen master software, the temps keep bouncing all over the place, although i don't know if that just lists the hottest core?
get yourself some paste ..taking cooler on and off will put air in the old stuff .. when you take it off reapply new paste

Soldato
OP
Yea, this was all last night and also a bit of squeaky bum time. Just done some benches and im ranging from 38 upto 76 degrees with the fan on high. I assume the hi/low just limits how fast the fan spins, as at times it stops:eek:.

Associate
I have just built a 3700X system... also finding temps seem to be high and it seems to range pretty wildly. Idle seems to range anywhere from 30-50 degrees. Played PUBG for a while on it last night and was sat at around 70ish degrees.

Using the stock cooler too which i have taken off and reapplied paste too which doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Associate
Yeah temps are constantly moving. Using the stock heatsini currently but used kyronaut to replace stock tim mine may go from lows 40s upto 70s on the ryzen balanced power option. I will be replacing the stock coolwr with a 240mm AIO at some point but from what i've seem that wont mean massively lower temps

Associate
Well hate to say but,

The reason why i got 3700x is because it potentially means less power which means less heat.

I hope it all goes well with my X470 AORUS GAMING 7 WIFI (rev. 1.0) i updated the bios to f40 from f31 i think, and i did not use the EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) when flashing the bios from f31 to f40 anyways people report problems when they use the ec fw tool.

Think i will do the same and disable pbo if i can find it as that is good advise to lower the temperature of the 3700x.

Dan.

Associate
What about the power plan setting in windows. Some of the advanced settings hold the processor at a minimum idle % like 80%etc. This happened on my 2400G . Dropping the setting down to 5 to 10% lowered my idle temp notably I found.

Is it also possible that if it's a complete new install that windows is doing it's background tidy up and so using the CPU so it's generating heat in doing so , even when you aren't using it yourself ?

Associate
That's pretty normal, I have my CPU fan completely disabled until about 65 degrees because there's basically no difference if it's on.

Wrote this in the other thread:

I have a B450M Mortar (& 3700X) and after a whole evening of messing about with OCing, Firmware and Benchmarking I've some thoughts :D

Your cooler doesn't matter to be honest. The Ryzen power plans that come wth the chipset drivers are extremely sensitive and aggressive, they're often boosting to high frequencies for very small amounts of time. The voltage will drop for an all core load.

Ryzen thinks a small background task needs a burst of speed and supplies it, this is obervable in CPU-Z. Though it doesn't show you when the core goes back to sleep.

This isn't enough time to cool the die and before the CPU cooler has even begun to ramp up the frequency has dropped. This is why it's all over the place.

I have a Noctua NH-U12S and I've after much messing about I've just disabled the cooling fan until temps reach 65 degrees. The temperature and frequency fluctuations seem to be exactly the same, doesn't matter if the fan is 0% or 100%! See picture below.

It all seems part and parcel of how Ryzen 3000 operates. If you're worried about voltage put Windows Power Saver on and watch it sit at 0.9 volts, it'll boost all core but it'll take longer to get there.

PvkXHWf.png

Associate
That's pretty normal, I have my CPU fan completely disabled until about 65 degrees because there's basically no difference if it's on.

Wrote this in the other thread:

Sat in AMD Ryzan Mater and the PPT/TDC/EDC go through the roof with any testing. Put a static OC in place for all cores and I'm benching 5k+ in CB-R20 with PPT/TDC/EDC around 40%.

I'm new to this but something is wrong.

Thanks for your info. I'm in need of a cooler if I want to go above 4.3 as the temps hit 95 eventually and I get shutdown.

Soldato
I have just built a 3700X system... also finding temps seem to be high and it seems to range pretty wildly. Idle seems to range anywhere from 30-50 degrees. Played PUBG for a while on it last night and was sat at around 70ish degrees.

Using the stock cooler too which i have taken off and reapplied paste too which doesn't seem to have made any difference.

For a stock cooler on 8/16 and whilst running a GPU in PUBG, I'd say around 70c in warm ambient temps is pretty good going.

Associate
So I totally forgot my old H100 V1 i think also has a compatible AM4 mounting system, until the upgrade at was on my 3770K despite it age its still working great and after a quick clean its keeping the 3700X at stock idle around 33c at load though it does go into the 80's gonna try a manual OC now and see if i can get the voltage lower

Associate
With my 2700x, I found setting LLC to low with PBO enabled reduced temps so taking advantage of Vdroop under load without causing crashes under light load, which is often the case if you set too high a negative vcore offset. I'm not sure if that is an option with the 3700x though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought I would post in this thread also. I have a 3700x , just installed today with a budget Coolermaster Lite 120 AIO.

With PBO it is idling at about 39c-40c and load in games it hits about 75c at 4375 mhz - volts hitting about 1.45
Without PBO it is idling at 39-50c and load in games still around 75 but at 4225 mhz - volts hitting about 1.36

Does this look ok guys? I'm happy to leave it as is if it looks ok as I'm not a huge tinkerer.

B450 Tomahawk with latest bios.

Back
Top Bottom