• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3800x thread.

Associate
At stock mine uses up to 1.4v single core boosting and around 1.376v multicore boosting in R20 according to hwinfo64. I've used these as my maximums, with droop that means im setting up to 1450mv with LLC at Normal. Running stable at just over 4.4 all core (43.75 x 101bclk) using 1425mv, but need an extra 25mv for long runs encoding with handbrake. Only use the pc for gaming and encoding for a few hours most nights.

Feel free to try my oc guide. Slightly different to how most people are overclocking, but its more stable for me. I'd suggest saving your current setup to a bios profile then loading optimised defaults before following it, if you've already been setting voltages you don't want anything doubling up. There's nothing about memory timings, just optimising frequencies. Its noob friendly, please dont be offended just skim through what you already know :)

Soldato
At stock mine uses up to 1.4v single core boosting and around 1.376v multicore boosting in R20 according to hwinfo64. I've used these as my maximums, with droop that means im setting up to 1450mv with LLC at Normal. Running stable at just over 4.4 all core (43.75 x 101bclk) using 1425mv, but need an extra 25mv for long runs encoding with handbrake. Only use the pc for gaming and encoding for a few hours most nights.

Feel free to try my oc guide. Slightly different to how most people are overclocking, but its more stable for me. I'd suggest saving your current setup to a bios profile then loading optimised defaults before following it, if you've already been setting voltages you don't want anything doubling up. There's nothing about memory timings, just optimising frequencies. Its noob friendly, please dont be offended just skim through what you already know :)

Much appreciated - cheers:cool:

Associate
Much appreciated - cheers:cool:
No problem, hope it helps. My PPT is around 125w running realbench with peaks to 135w using the settings in the guide and the voltages, multi and bclk in my post above. It sounds almost as if your VRM is throttling the cpu for some reason. Do you actually see low performance in R20 multicore or is it normal? I get 5025 stock cpu/PBO disabled and 5370 at 4420mhz all core (both with memory maxed). I would expect a 65w limited cpu to be at 4800 or less.

Soldato
No problem, hope it helps. My PPT is around 125w running realbench with peaks to 135w using the settings in the guide and the voltages, multi and bclk in my post above. It sounds almost as if your VRM is throttling the cpu for some reason. Do you actually see low performance in R20 multicore or is it normal? I get 5025 stock cpu/PBO disabled and 5370 at 4420mhz all core (both with memory maxed). I would expect a 65w limited cpu to be at 4800 or less.

I don't have a high end MOBO but cinebench 20 I scored 5003 with no manual overclock running 3600Mhz RAM CL16 with 1800Mhz IF. Non heavy workloads it will now go 4.5+ on 6 of the 8 cores. last night I played Hitman 2 for an hour or so and when I looked at my afterburner graphs the all core frequencies were 4350-4.4Ghz on all cores. So performance wise it's in the ball park. Saw 71W max in HWinfo and gaming drew no more than 35W. I'm no big overclocker and with the BIOS issue I haven't spent much time tinkering as I had to fiddle to get the RAM to 3600Mhz and spent a bit of time learning the basics of RAM OC'ing which I'd never done before. (in fact my RAM is native 3600Mhz 8PAck but it wouldn't just plug and play).

Knowing the BIOS's etc are immature and reportedly so, I haven't bothered playing with a manual overclock until more solid BIOS's appear which will hopefully appear in the next 2 weeks as AMD have recognised the community's concerns. I'm a follower when it comes to OC'ing more than a leader and your guide put many terms and what certain voltages do, into something I understood. Maybe not fully but I read in start to finish, twice. It is very informative for myself and I saved a pdf of it to my desktop. Thanks again.

Associate
I don't have a high end MOBO but cinebench 20 I scored 5003 with no manual overclock running 3600Mhz RAM CL16 with 1800Mhz IF. Non heavy workloads it will now go 4.5+ on 6 of the 8 cores. last night I played Hitman 2 for an hour or so and when I looked at my afterburner graphs the all core frequencies were 4350-4.4Ghz on all cores. So performance wise it's in the ball park. Saw 71W max in HWinfo and gaming drew no more than 35W. I'm no big overclocker and with the BIOS issue I haven't spent much time tinkering as I had to fiddle to get the RAM to 3600Mhz and spent a bit of time learning the basics of RAM OC'ing which I'd never done before. (in fact my RAM is native 3600Mhz 8PAck but it wouldn't just plug and play).

Knowing the BIOS's etc are immature and reportedly so, I haven't bothered playing with a manual overclock until more solid BIOS's appear which will hopefully appear in the next 2 weeks as AMD have recognised the community's concerns. I'm a follower when it comes to OC'ing more than a leader and your guide put many terms and what certain voltages do, into something I understood. Maybe not fully but I read in start to finish, twice. It is very informative for myself and I saved a pdf of it to my desktop. Thanks again.

The Phantom Gaming 4 has about the worst VRM on any X570 board, but its still very good and better than almost all previous gen boards. Its perfectly fine for running your 3800x no matter what overclock you run through it and certainly shouldnt limit you in any way. I have run my 3800x on a MSI B450i at 4.4ghz all core with no throttling issues and your board has a more capable VRM and much bigger heatsinks.

I suppose its possible if the heatsinks arent making proper contact it could be thermal throttling. Can you monitor VRM temperatures at all? Does the board feel like its radiating excessive heat from the VRM area? If the answer to those questions is no then personally I would completely ignore the reading and consider it a reporting error. Sounds to me like you're right in the ballpark in terms of cinebench score for a stock boosting setup with fast memory.

Soldato
The Phantom Gaming 4 has about the worst VRM on any X570 board, but its still very good and better than almost all previous gen boards. Its perfectly fine for running your 3800x no matter what overclock you run through it and certainly shouldnt limit you in any way. I have run my 3800x on a MSI B450i at 4.4ghz all core with no throttling issues and your board has a more capable VRM and much bigger heatsinks.

I suppose its possible if the heatsinks arent making proper contact it could be thermal throttling. Can you monitor VRM temperatures at all? Does the board feel like its radiating excessive heat from the VRM area? If the answer to those questions is no then personally I would completely ignore the reading and consider it a reporting error. Sounds to me like you're right in the ballpark in terms of cinebench score for a stock boosting setup with fast memory.

Yeah I did take a bit of a punt on a cheaper board as X570's expensive. I get a cheap board and see what my chip is like, eBay the board and get a better one later if I get a decent chip, particularly as x570 boards are flippin pricey at the moment, £750 for top end x570 - I aint paying that. VRM temp is in the 50's most of the time. The CPU and GPU both have AIO's on them both with push pull config and a further 3 x 140mm in a Be Quiet Dark Base 900Pro, so plenty of air moving. Could be a power draw reporting error I suppose, I think I'll investigate and check the mounting of the heatsinks on the VRM's. Other than that, really pleased with the jump in performance from 3770K making my 1080ti much less variable where the CPU was bottlenecking even at 4k. Much smoother gaming experience.

I'll wait for the new BIOS's to appear and see if the Power draw changes reporting wise otherwise do some investigation and maybe swap out for a higher spec board if and when the prices drop.

Associate
Using the xmp profile seems to kill performance. Entering the settings manually seems to work well. I bought the 8pack ram too, I have had no problems so far.

Cinebench R20 and R15 are boosting right for me now after a BIOS update. Single Thread hits 4474MHz. Much higher using the PC normally.

r20

r15

Last edited:
Associate
Just got a 3800x system up and running.. I am however having some issues with getting through Cinebench R15, it will get mid way and then hard reset the pc. I am running stock settings in the bios, aside from changing to XMP 3600/16CL and setting Infinity Fabric to 1800.

HWInfo is consistently reporting I am boosting to 4.5 on multiple cores (but not at once).. but my concern is VCore is nearly always over 1.465.. often going as high as 1.61. Temps seem to max out around 78c on a Dark Rock 4 air cooler.

Trying to manually set the VCore from "Normal" to something like 1.35 won't post, requiring a clear CMOS.

The other detail is.. I noticed on installing the 3800x chip itself that it had a residue on the surface along with 5 bent pins near the 1 pin. I had to straighten them out carefully before it would sit in the socket. Is this common place, or have I received a returned chip perhaps? At the moment, I am inclined to return the chip.

Motherboard is the Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master.
Memory: 16GB Team (8 Pack) 3600 CL16.
Cooler: Bequiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro.

Soldato
Same CPU & RAM as me. That RAM you need to enter the primary timings manually don't use XMP settings Ryzen2 doesn't like it. What I did was load the XMP profile from the RAM modules then enter the Primary timings manually.

Bent pins on CPU. If they were bent out of the box then I would have returned it. Residue!? Was the CPU box sealed? As you have now got it working and straightened them the CPU will 'probabaly' be fine, the hard reset is most likely the RAM and not the CPU.

Associate
Same CPU & RAM as me. That RAM you need to enter the primary timings manually don't use XMP settings Ryzen2 doesn't like it. What I did was load the XMP profile from the RAM modules then enter the Primary timings manually.

Bent pins on CPU. If they were bent out of the box then I would have returned it. Residue!? Was the CPU box sealed? As you have now got it working and straightened them the CPU will 'probabaly' be fine, the hard reset is most likely the RAM and not the CPU.

OK thanks, I will try setting the timings manually.

Yes the box was sealed and the bent pins was basically the edge row, they were bent about 20degrees evenly inwards. I definitely didn't cause this myself, I was very careful with the entire build.

Soldato
That Asrock has really just mediocre quality VRM even including B450/X470 and big heatsinks are needed already for cheap low efficiency design.
Again B450I's 6x IR3555 are toward stronger end even for X470 and give higher efficiency helping with smaller heatsinks.

Associate
Just got a 3800x system up and running.. I am however having some issues with getting through Cinebench R15, it will get mid way and then hard reset the pc. I am running stock settings in the bios, aside from changing to XMP 3600/16CL and setting Infinity Fabric to 1800.

HWInfo is consistently reporting I am boosting to 4.5 on multiple cores (but not at once).. but my concern is VCore is nearly always over 1.465.. often going as high as 1.61. Temps seem to max out around 78c on a Dark Rock 4 air cooler.

Trying to manually set the VCore from "Normal" to something like 1.35 won't post, requiring a clear CMOS.

The other detail is.. I noticed on installing the 3800x chip itself that it had a residue on the surface along with 5 bent pins near the 1 pin. I had to straighten them out carefully before it would sit in the socket. Is this common place, or have I received a returned chip perhaps? At the moment, I am inclined to return the chip.

5 bent pins are really bad news and I would not accept a cpu with so many. I would guess that they would have to be very bent for me to care. The vcore should not be going as high as 1.61volts.

Associate

I think you've got a returned chip, and one that hasn't been treated that well. If you can get it exchanged I would do so. Mine was perfect when it arrived.

Associate
Thanks for the input, think I will be returning this.. I tried setting all the primary memory timings manually instead of using XMP but still no joy. I can not get through a run of either Cinebench R15 or R20 multi-core without hard reset about half way through. Everything else in bios is set to Auto. HWInfo reports I get over 4.525 on it seems most cores, but the VCore of 1.61 is just alarming considering that is beyond AMD's recommended limits. I wouldn't mind so much.. but this is at stock settings, I'm not overclocking at all.

Trying to rule out the memory.. I ran TestMem5 and it reports no errors.

Associate
If you get a hard reset at stock in cinebench the chip is damaged and that is why you are getting 1.61 volts vcore. It's a rma.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Low end VRM X570 boards seem to have bonus just for being X570.
But at least B450/X470 VRM "ratings" start to approach correct level.

Though those single high side FET garbages like in Asus Strix B450-F would still need downgrading:
The Stilt got its VRM literally overheating with stock 2700X doing just video encoding.
So 100A output current would certainly require lot more than little cooling to keep reliability.
Or at least removing that VRM cooling sabotaging IO shroud marketing excrement.
Any "reviewer" who doesn't mention those being bad for VRM cooling and instead calls them nice isn't reviewer, but trained parrot of marketing.

Also AsRock B450(M) Pro4 design VRM needs some cooling for 100A output when stock 2700X pushed it over 90C in same testing done by The Stilt.

Soldato
I don't expect any real performance increase strictly from the boost tweak. If we get more performance, I expect it to come from more complex interactions than just raw clock speed.

Getting performance out of these tiny nodes seems to boil down to a complex game of high-speed "hot-potato". The heat builds up so fast, and is so consetrated, that no one core can do anything for long at full speed. So if the golden core runs 25mghz higher, it won't do it for long through the course of a given benchmark.

Back
Top Bottom