• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3800x thread.

Associate
Playing my cores don't go further than 4.3ghz, with cinebench no more than 4.1 or 4.2 there is something wrong because with windows I can see 2 or 3 reaching 4.5ghz

Associate
Playing my cores don't go further than 4.3ghz, with cinebench no more than 4.1 or 4.2 there is something wrong because with windows I can see 2 or 3 reaching 4.5ghz
In afterburner during gaming I see a steady fluctuation between 4.35 and 4.4Ghz on all cores. This is in PUBG. What game were you playing?
I was playing a bit of Control, and yeah I saw some spikes at 4.4ghz but just for seconds, almost all the time 4.235-4.350 never 4.5

Soldato
My rig is basically a Project Cars 2 rig and my "max" column has at least one core showing 4.5. (Saw 4525 the other day). I'm not really looking to re-do my ram timings, so it would take a sizable bump in *actual performance* for me to consider a new BIOS.

Associate
Upgraded to a 3800x, literally done nothing else than install windows and chipset drivers. I've not updated the bios or touched any settings in the bios. Ran a quick Cinebench run to have a quick look, one core hits 4.55GHz, a few more 4.5. Quick question, even at idle its pulling 1.4v, surely it should drop right off? Cheers

Soldato
The cores are hyper-sensitive to just about any load in all but the latest ABBA bios. (And it's still beta for most motherboards) even just monitoring the cpu can make it best frequency and voltage.

1.4v is safe at light load though.

Associate
Upgraded to a 3800x, literally done nothing else than install windows and chipset drivers. I've not updated the bios or touched any settings in the bios. Ran a quick Cinebench run to have a quick look, one core hits 4.55GHz, a few more 4.5. Quick question, even at idle its pulling 1.4v, surely it should drop right off? Cheers

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be a problem according to AMD, I usually notice the voltage drops back to 1.3xxx under load. I think they're working on making this more stable.

Soldato
It doesn’t make sense to me that it somehow requires north of 1.4v for light loads, but less for heavier loads.

Power usage and temperatures.

It requires higher voltage to support boost frequencies under low load. Running heavier loads at such voltage would be detrimental to the health of the chip.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
It doesn’t make sense to me that it somehow requires north of 1.4v for light loads, but less for heavier loads.

Every CPU has a current limit to work within.

Light loads make the CPU boost a couple of cores higher, therefore needs higher voltages to sustain a higher frequency in those cores, but as the load is light, the current draw is less (e.g 2 cores @ 1.5v for 4.5Ghz is low current)

Heavier loads make the CPU boost lower, therefore needs less voltage to sustain the lower frequencies, this is offset by the fact that heavier loads generally use more if not all of the cores, meaning higher current. (e.g. 8 cores @ 1.2v for 4Ghz has a high current)

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Ah, ok. That makes sense, I was being stupid and thinking about voltage in isolation.

No worries. Yup, unfortunately you can't view voltage in isolation :p

It also doesn't help that we've been used to pretty much the same CPU architecture from Intel for many years now and used to how they work and behave, and yet in the space of 3 years from AMD we've have 2 very different architectures and the way they behave is quite different.

Associate
3800X (+ stock cooler) B350M Mortar.
Bios CPU fan speed - 20% @ 20c / 40% @ 40c / 60% @ 60c / 80% @ 80c
Bios PBO disabled everything else on Auto apart from RAM @1.3v.
No XMP.
RAM @ 2933 -14 16 16 (will not do 3200).
p4Dc0Ky.jpg.png

Soldato
Could it be that, after all the consumer gains that can be had from OC'ing (an enthusiasts pastime), 3rd party companies testing, binning and charging for their findings on retail bought CPU's... have found that

Finally AMD have managed to pull off a CPU that requires no OC'ing for the layman. To get nearly as much extra performance as experienced OC'ers, a no brainer for the server market due to the new 7nm arch.... alone only measuring power consumption?

Now maybe, we have CPU's where an algorithm works out the maximum performance from the parameters that OC'rs use. Based on temps, voltages, etc etc. Not only pre binned....but an algorithm that considers your choice of other hardware such as MOBO VRM's, cooling etc???

Just a drunken thought

Associate
Tightening RAM timings are big for 3d mark scores. With good tight RAM timings @ 3800 you get the same performance increase as having a decent all cores overclock.

Last edited:
Associate
Got my x570 Master with ABBA bios

It is very weird, if I set PBO and OC 75Mhz I have seen one core boost at 4.6ghz

Interesting...

Looks like the ABB bios for my board has just had its beta marking removed. Going to give it a try later and see if it increases the PBO results (Pretty sure I've been hitting 4500, but not over)

Soldato
Leave it all at default for the boost to work properly.

My 3800X after my cheapa55 MOBO (£160) was updated to ABBA does 4.6+ on 4 cores and 4.55 on all others. Obviously not at the same time.

A benchmark/stress still only sees it at 4.2 all cores, but gaming with PUBG before the patch saw 4.35 all core but then the cores aren't loaded to 100% like a bench or stress test. Not gamed yet with ABBA but hoping in PUBG to see all core go to 4.4.

https://i.postimg.cc/9fD9YjYZ/HWinfo-4-6.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom