• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3900x - Minimum frame rates lower than 5 year old Intel CPU?

Caporegime
A 2080TI doesn't really have Async Compute, not on a hardware level.

Why do reviewers always default to Nvidia and assume AMD will be the same?
I don't think theres a conspiracy here, async compute is disabled on DX12 for some reason.

If you enable async on an AMD GPU, it automatically switches the API to Vulkan and is enabled.

Caporegime
Like probably about 90% of games RD2 is a console game ported to PC, consoles at this point are still GCN + Bulldozer, 6 cores for the game and 2 for the OS and background services.

RD2 is a really bad example of a PC port, there is a company, (i forget the name of them) who do the vast majority of console to PC ports, they do an outstanding job of it which is why the vast majority of game developers outsource that to them, except RockStar, who do that in house, and not well.

Consoles right now are very different to PC, to get the most out of relatively weak hardware there is no API layer between the game and hardware, much like Mantle used to be, Vulkan is based off Mantle but it now has an API layer to make it Hardware Agnostic, when you're porting a game designed to run on the metal of very specific hardware to run on multiple hardware configured machines, PC's, and you don't do a good job of it, its not a healthy experience.

Soldato
Checked my memory with CPU-Z and it's definitely operating dual channel, 3600mhz (CPUz reports 1799mhz)
Did it set itself to 3600? Or did you have to enable it in BIOS? If the latter then did you enable other stuff too as there's a number of BIOS options that are supposed to boost performance yet can actually gimp it on these CPUs.

Caporegime
OP
Did it set itself to 3600? Or did you have to enable it in BIOS? If the latter then did you enable other stuff too as there's a number of BIOS options that are supposed to boost performance yet can actually gimp it on these CPUs.

No, I set it all manually, because it's overclocked from the base speed of 3200Mhz.

It's only when you go in to 2:1 mode that things get gimped.

Caporegime
mmm, sells a 3900x only to get another...

I think someone has got a 3950x for being employee of the year and not allowed to tell anyone yet ;)

I'm on to you.... :p
:D

Hey Pete, hope you are looking after my previous 3900X?

Yes i kind of regretted selling it, so after a few months of using a 1920X (free of charge) i decided to get another 3900X.

Happy i did too, its a great chip.

Caporegime

Hey Pete, hope you are looking after my previous 3900X?

Yes i kind of regretted selling it, so after a few months of using a 1920X (free of charge) i decided to get another 3900X.

Happy i did too, its a great chip.

He ####'### loves it, keeps telling me i only have half a CPU, which when you think about it, i can't argue with. :(

Caporegime
OP
Well it seems to be going in the right direction:

20191107_121144.jpg

Associate
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I swapped from a Z97A GAMING 7 with 4790K @ 4.8Ghz to a 3700X with X570/3600 DDR 4. RDR2 performance is worse by about 5-10 fps with worse lows too. I've manually overclocked to 4.35Ghz and tweaked bios. My 1080ti is on same overclock as previous system. Wondering if it's just how RDR2 handles ryzen? Interestingly I think I got similar results to you with vysnc on. Try turning it off and rerun benchmark. I have a gsync X34 (so no need for vsync) and am hitting 50+ fps (was around 60 before)

Associate
Any update on this, I know the 3900X is behind a 7700K in Arma 3 for example so there are some older games/game engines where it isn't really up to snuff.

Back
Top Bottom