• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Its tempting, looking around though it seems fairly common. Imagine i get one worse .

Going to give it the weekend see if it changes with been worn in. Its an overclocking beast. Only 400 points off the world's best with Time Spy Extreme 4090 and a 5800x and I've still got head room to try and close that gap as well!

Last edited:
Its strange because God of War and Spiderman where I got near enough 120fps with dlss and I got no coil whine on my 3080, so here (like for like) I'm getting an annoying buzzing at the same 120 fps and same settings.

My 3080Ti starts doing it around 240fps and up. The higher the fps the worse it gets. It's silent when locking most games to 120fps. Quake Champions is not fun with it unlocking the fps when it's hitting 370 - 450fps. It's squealing hard and it's a year old card.

I remember having a Strix 3080 and the coil whine was horrid. I complained on the ASUS PC DIG official Facebook group and the technical manager guy Juan told me until he was blue in the face how with “such high end cards” it’s simply a “characteristic” and totally acceptable.

Coil whine can be engineered out, so I genuinely believe on such high end cards we should be sending them back to the manufacturer to sort.

Hell back in the day Hercules support would authorise you to use a hot glue gun to fix it on specific components.

There is no excuse to be paying £2k for a card to have to suffer what is effectively a manufacturing/engineering defect.

Coil whine can be engineered out, so I genuinely believe on such high end cards we should be sending them back to the manufacturer to sort.

Hell back in the day Hercules support would authorise you to use a hot glue gun to fix it on specific components.

There is no excuse to be paying £2k for a card to have to suffer what is effectively a manufacturing/engineering defect.

I agree, it’s just incompetent and/or lazy engineering.

100% not acceptable on any GPU imo.

This one is the worst I've seen so far:

Although it looks like they're running the Night Raid benchmark with uncapped FPS, so probably 400-500 FPS which is a bit of a worst case scenario.

-

I have a TUF 4090 and whilst it's not quite as bad as that Reddit post, it's still pretty bad - I went through 3x 3080s (FE, MSI, PNY) before getting one with little coil whine, and I fear I'll be doing the same this time too.

On one hand I want to just keep it because of the stock situation - on the other, I spent £1700 so I don't expect to just have to deal with the noise to be honest.

His card contains the soul of a dead wasps nest

Sorry, this post has been removed by the moderators of r/nvidia.
Moderators remove posts from feeds for a variety of reasons, including keeping communities safe, civil, and true to their purpose.
"true to their purpose" the purpose was to talk about your company without the moderation of your own forums sanitising and controlling the narrative.

Nvidia reddit is such a crap place gotta protect the brand.
Reddit went crap as soon as all the companies started taking over the sub reddits about them, the place is crap these days

Last edited:

Although it looks like they're running the Night Raid benchmark with uncapped FPS, so probably 400-500 FPS which is a bit of a worst case scenario.

-

I have a TUF 4090 and whilst it's not quite as bad as that Reddit post, it's still pretty bad - I went through 3x 3080s (FE, MSI, PNY) before getting one with little coil whine, and I fear I'll be doing the same this time too.

On one hand I want to just keep it because of the stock situation - on the other, I spent £1700 so I don't expect to just have to deal with the noise to be honest.

That would drive me up the wall, would be sending that back, post-haste.

Well some good news. Last night I overclocked it and raised the power limit. Then did loads of benchmarks to stress test it. Now at stock settings it's loads quieter. I'm going to keep going over weekend but even on Cyberpunk 99% gpu utilisation it's very, very mild now.

Age related hearing loss starts after the age of 12 and affects everyone to different degrees. While I respect your intention for this thread, I don't think it'll serve the purpose you intend.

There'll be people in their 30's, 40's or 50's claiming their card has "no coilwhine". If you dig deeper, they'll be playing at 1080P or 1440P (where card doesn't load loaded up enough for it to manifest) or they simply not able to hear it.

Others will say no coil whine, yet have their case fans, AIO pumps on max for a very noisy PC to begin with, masking the coilwhine.

Many will say things like "I'm in my 40's and can hear a pin drop, I have no coilwhine" but if you actually test them with a hearing test >
they'll not be able to hear past 14k hz etc.

On the above video, I can hear the tone very loud @ 15,100HZ, then it completely drops off for me, just as an example of someone in their thirties. I have a work mate also in his thirties who went to many heavy metal concerts, who can't hear past 12k. He'll notice no coil whine if his card is at these frequencies etc.

Last edited:
I remember having a Strix 3080 and the coil whine was horrid. I complained on the ASUS PC DIG official Facebook group and the technical manager guy Juan told me until he was blue in the face how with “such high end cards” it’s simply a “characteristic” and totally acceptable.

I didn’t accept that ridiculous response. Sold it on and got the EVGA FTW3 3080 and it’s silent, even more so as weeks later I put a waterblock on it :D It’s been golden for almost 2 years now.

The other problem on the 30 series strix cards was the shroud would rattle too and cause a buzzing sound too, guessing why they went over the top this time with the strix cards to make sure that didn't happen again.

I thought this issue is very important to some of us, that majorly affects our enjoyment of gaming. I've created this thread to discuss your experience of it (or not) with the new 4090 cards from Nvida.

Zotac Trinity 4090. No coil whine at all, as far as I can tell. Superflower 850W PSU, Cyberpower UPS.

I mean you can even try cleaning the electric supply as that can cause it.....no idea how, but it's a real thing

Use an inline UPS.

-

Yikes that's bad but again a water cooled card and reality is you will hear coil whine even more on them. Sadly I think coil whine is only going to get worse as cards get faster and throw out more frames. They really need to engineer it out with better components that can deal with such strains.

Also good old Nvidia forum or Reddit page doing the censoring of issues as always... The Reddit link you posted has been nuked from view unless you have the link.

Sorry, this post has been removed by the moderators of r/nvidia.
Moderators remove posts from feeds for a variety of reasons, including keeping communities safe, civil, and true to their purpose.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Zotac Trinity 4090. No coil whine at all, as far as I can tell. Superflower 850W PSU, Cyberpower UPS.

Use an inline UPS.
UPS needs to be a true/pure sine wave UPS not a simulated/modified sine wave as they can cause other issues or make it worse. We use only pure sine wave UPS at work for that reason to stop certain equipment and psus making a horrible noise because the buildings electric supply is poop and the UPS condition the power, some don't do that too so something to watch out for too. Some even pure Sine wave UPS don't clean the power up coming in but when tripped and running of the battery they output clean power and the simulated sine wave ones normally have zero line conditioning and when they trip they make things worse than the normal incoming power and can damage sensitive equipment even when they are supplying power of the battery because some devices don't like the none true sine wave produced. So step with care when buying a UPS.

Not sure what I mean this explains the difference :-

You will know if its a true sine wave UPS as they cost a lot more than the simulated sine wave ones but are worth it for computer equipment. Only problem is with now pcs needing 1000w to 1200w psus they are very expensive at that power limits and you don't want to get one that can't support the maximum wattage pulled by the system as they can shut down to protect themselves or beep like crazy before they shut down and your attached devices turn off with it.

Last edited:
Age related hearing loss starts after the age of 12 and affects everyone to different degrees. While I respect your intention for this thread, I don't think it'll serve the purpose you intend.

There'll be people in their 30's, 40's or 50's claiming their card has "no coilwhine". If you dig deeper, they'll be playing at 1080P or 1440P (where card doesn't load loaded up enough for it to manifest) or they simply not able to hear it.

Others will say no coil whine, yet have their case fans, AIO pumps on max for a very noisy PC to begin with, masking the coilwhine.

Many will say things like "I'm in my 40's and can hear a pin drop, I have no coilwhine" but if you actually test them with a hearing test >

On the above video, I can hear the tone very loud @ 15,100HZ, then it completely drops off for me, just as an example of someone in their thirties. I have a work mate also in his thirties who went to many heavy metal concerts, who can't hear past 12k. He'll notice no coil whine if his card is at these frequencies etc.

That videos interesting 14.500 for me and I'm 38. I remember once my wall plug was buzzing, driving me up the wall and my parents couldn't even hear anything lol. So yeah its definitely a hard subject to gage for all the reasons you said. I think the people who actively dislike coil whine though have heard it before and know what to look out for. I have a quiet/silent Pc and room, loads of fans at a low RPM. My PC is in a home theatre with Dolby ATMOS surround, so something that effects audio quality is very important to me. If a brand made silence a selling point at this gaming level I'd 100% go with them (glue their coils etc, use good capacitors etc).

Still I'm super happy my 4090 has reduced so significantly. Its now silent in most games and not at all distracting at very high 4k loads like Cyberpunk.

That videos interesting 14.500 for me and I'm 38. I remember once my wall plug was buzzing, driving me up the wall and my parents couldn't even hear anything lol. So yeah its definitely a hard subject to gage for all the reasons you said. I think the people who actively dislike coil whine though have heard it before and know what to look out for. I have a quiet/silent Pc and room, loads of fans at a low RPM. My PC is in a home theatre with Dolby ATMOS surround, so something that effects audio quality is very important to me. If a brand made silence a selling point at this gaming level I'd 100% go with them (glue their coils etc, use good capacitors etc).

Still I'm super happy my 4090 has reduced so significantly. Its now silent in most games and not at all distracting at very high 4k loads like Cyberpunk.

Glad your 4090 is doing well. I'm thrilled with mine - it has some coilwhine but it's almost as if it's muted in some way. I'm comparing it to the MSI 3080 Gaming X and 3090 FE that I've had, they were both so much louder and distracting.

yeah that's pretty interesting, mid-40s and can hear clear 20-13,400 then it just disappears. Using good equipment so not a headphone issue. I've always had a very high pitched but quite tinnitus issue probably from clubbing so much in my 20's.

no coil whine on my 4090, we'll I can't here it so it doesn't exist :cry:

yeah that's pretty interesting, mid-40s and can hear clear 20-13,400 then it just disappears. Using good equipment so not a headphone issue. I've always had a very high pitched but quite tinnitus issue probably from clubbing so much in my 20's.

no coil whine on my 4090, we'll I can't here it so it doesn't exist :cry:

One good thing to look forward to when it comes to aging, not having to worry about coil whine! :cry:

UPS needs to be a true/pure sine wave UPS not a simulated/modified sine wave as they can cause other issues or make it worse.

I use a CyberPower VP1600EILCD UPS and it produces a simulated sine wave. It works for me. The important thing for me is that it is line-interactive so it protects from power surges and brownouts. I'm not worried about the shape of the power wave during a power cut: the thing is there to give me time to save my work and shut the PC down if the outage lasts more than a few minutes.

Back
Top Bottom