• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Associate
4090 at 1080P or 1440P is the only cause of coil whine if your PSU is solid and ATX 3.0 soec.

Coil whine in this case was because you are a stupid person who wastes GPU potential for high frames which give you nothing but coil whine.

This is akin to a 2080Ti user playing at 1440x900.

Yes high frames = coil whine.
Don't go name-calling people on here, it lowers everyone's IQ to your own.

One of the guys said he locked his fps to 120 at 4k. As for me, I can confirm that the CW I found in three cards happens to the same extent if it's capped at 30/60/120fps or let run wild.

Associate
If I'm paying 2k for GPU i wouldn't consider 120fps max that high TBH. Plus it's the same at native at 85fps. It's the workload rather than the frames I think. Obviously if it was uncapped a menu reaching 200+ would be whining because of the FPS.
I will leave a reply tomorrow after I try this 3rd PSU. If it sorts it, happy days, if not, that leaves GPU lottery or maybe try a socket filter.

Soldato
OP
I will leave a reply tomorrow after I try this 3rd PSU. If it sorts it, happy days, if not, that leaves GPU lottery or maybe try a socket filter.

I think I saw on YouTube its a bequiet PSU? I have one of those, and it's spot on but obviously doesn't have an effect or is the cause of my GPU coil whine. Good luck. I'll report back tomorrow what my retailer says.

I really don't want to miss Uncharted or Plague Tale launches next week lol.

Associate
I think I saw on YouTube its a bequiet PSU? I have one of those, and it's spot on but obviously doesn't have an effect or is the cause of my GPU coil whine. Good luck. I'll report back tomorrow what my retailer says.

I really don't want to miss Uncharted or Plague Tale launches next week lol.
Yeah trying that Be Quiet 1200w and if it does it then that's EVGA/Corsair and Be Quiet tried. I am leaning more toward GPU lottery, but worth a shot.

Soldato
OP
Yeah if its the Straight Power 11 1200w, its exactly the same one. This endeavour must be costing you a fortune. I do wonder if once Be quiet release their single wire adapter if that will help any.

Caporegime
ahh damn my Suprim X has pretty bad coil wine, almost sounds like a fan rubbing constantly.

I just tested it in control, I have my PC on the floor under my desk though and don't hear it with the glass side closed

Soldato
OP
ahh damn my Suprim X has pretty bad coil wine, almost sounds like a fan rubbing constantly.

I just tested it in control, I have my PC on the floor under my desk though and don't hear it with the glass side closed

Between me, you and voodoo we have 4 Suprims with Coil Whine

Just tried it on Red Dead 2 and its really bad.

Soldato

Make sure the fan actually isn't rubbing, I saw a post on Reddit warning people to check that the support bracket is not contacting your fans

Last edited:
Associate
Between me, you and voodoo we have 4 Suprims with Coil Whine

Just tried it on Red Dead 2 and its really bad.
Seeing Suprim owners say they have no issues, so I do wonder if pushing the card to match Asus Strix is something that is partly to blame. I wonder if the lower mhz cards (bar the FE) are having so many issues. Also, wonder if this is something that MSI will fix via bios, maybe something needs tweaking but it's not affecting all the cards?
As for the 12+4...maybe, but then again most people dont have that cable right now, and many are happy with their cards, but who knows?

Caporegime
Make sure the fan actually isn't rubbing, I saw a post on Reddit warning people to check that the support bracket is not contacting your fans
I put my fans off when I was testing it in Control and my bracket touches the very end of the card where no fan is anyway
Here's my Read Dead 2 video. 120 Cap, Max settings, 4K.

why upload as a youtube short so people can't control he playback or skip to sections.

also need to turn the volume up really loud to hear it but then my neighbours would hear your voice

Last edited:
Caporegime
In Cyberpunk mines a bit like the screaming bee video someone posted to reddit, but my P600S with the side shut and at floor level I don't hear it anyway.

I'm not gonna RMA any replacement is prob the same

Soldato
so small update with suprim x, no coil whine with normal bios and gaming. Was getting a little but very quite when trying out afterburner overclock scanner

Back
Top Bottom