• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
Somewhere between 11k and 12kHz for me; I'm 55 and have tinnitus. But it's wierd: if I let it go higher and pause I can tell that there's a difference in sound.

I'm no expert, though seems when the overall volume you can hear the tone at decreases drastically, this is your natural "limit" etc. I can hear 'something' higher than my limit, though it's not the full spectrum of the tone, just some faint very quiet shadow of it.

V F

V F

Soldato
Age related hearing loss starts after the age of 12 and affects everyone to different degrees. While I respect your intention for this thread, I don't think it'll serve the purpose you intend.

There'll be people in their 30's, 40's or 50's claiming their card has "no coilwhine". If you dig deeper, they'll be playing at 1080P or 1440P (where card doesn't load loaded up enough for it to manifest) or they simply not able to hear it.

Others will say no coil whine, yet have their case fans, AIO pumps on max for a very noisy PC to begin with, masking the coilwhine.

Many will say things like "I'm in my 40's and can hear a pin drop, I have no coilwhine" but if you actually test them with a hearing test >
they'll not be able to hear past 14k hz etc.

On the above video, I can hear the tone very loud @ 15,100HZ, then it completely drops off for me, just as an example of someone in their thirties. I have a work mate also in his thirties who went to many heavy metal concerts, who can't hear past 12k. He'll notice no coil whine if his card is at these frequencies etc.

I've known for a long time now that I cannot hear past 13khz. Which I assume was hearing damage that I wasn't aware of from late 90s of Motocross. I remember some local authorities up with SPL meters and other sound guns checking the sound levels of the track. Back then my Kawasaki KX 125 was clocking 95 - 97dB while some other bikes were hitting over 100dB. Now put 20 - 30 on normal practice days which were all two strokes buzzing about. Some 4 strokes were even louder but it was more of a deeper sound where the ground shakes instead of the high pitched tinny sounds of 2 strokes.

I remember some race events I was at late 90s and when I came home, it was like I was reliving the sound events in my head live. It lasted for hours when you've got race after race of 20 - 30 bikes all buzzing about for 3 - 5 hours. It was hard to get to sleep at night with it as sounded so clear after the events.

Soldato
OP
Ok guys I've got to make a decision on mine, it is better on Cyberpunk but playing Control (120fps, Native 4K) today it still seems just above acceptable. What do you think? (I know there's only so much you can get from a youtube video). Worth a roll of the dice?

Last edited:
Associate
Ok guys I've got to make a decision on mine, it is better on Cyberpunk but playing Control (120fps, Native 4K) today it still seems just above acceptable. What do you think? (I know there's only so much you can get from a youtube video). Worth a roll of the dice?

Well, I have kept the better of the 3 cards I have tried, but I am getting a 4th as the last attempt. If that's the same, then it's okay because the only way I hear the buzzing is if I turn down all volume on my TV and listen for it.
The only reason I am trying to find a better one is for resale....when that time comes.
I am also trying a 3rd PSU. My EVGA P6 and Corsair HXi are both made by Seasonic so I am trying a different brand just in case there is a connection and they are the cause.

Soldato

Have you tried running a benchmark like Valley, for a few hours yet?

Soldato
OP
Well, I have kept the better of the 3 cards I have tried, but I am getting a 4th as the last attempt. If that's the same, then it's okay because the only way I hear the buzzing is if I turn down all volume on my TV and listen for it.
The only reason I am trying to find a better one is for resale....when that time comes.
I am also trying a 3rd PSU. My EVGA P6 and Corsair HXi are both made by Seasonic so I am trying a different brand just in case there is a connection and they are the cause.

How does mine compare to your units? Especially the Suprims.

Soldato

What FPS are you getting and gpu clock speed ? When it is doing the coil whine in control.

Soldato
OP
Hard to say, but they seem the same. The Tuf was a tiny bit worse.
From looking online, the cards that seem to have the worst feedback for coil whine are the FE/Suprim and Tuf.

If you've had two makes me think its riskier to swap for another Suprim in that case. The two 3080 Suprims were excellent acoustically last gen. I mean this isnt bad, but objectively in this aspect it is worse.

Associate
Got no coil whine at all on my 4090 Zotac Trinity oc and over the last 24hrs have run benchmarks for hours some at silly high fps and not a sound from it at all. My 3090 Strix on the other hand , that is a screamer :cry:

Permabanned
4090 at 1080P or 1440P is the only cause of coil whine if your PSU is solid and ATX 3.0 soec.

Coil whine in this case was because you are a stupid person who wastes GPU potential for high frames which give you nothing but coil whine.

This is akin to a 2080Ti user playing at 1440x900.

Yes high frames = coil whine.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
4090 at 1080P or 1440P is the only cause of coil whine if your PSU is solid and ATX 3.0 soec.

Coil whine in this case was because you are a stupid person who wastes GPU potential for high frames which give you nothing but coil whine.

This is akin to a 2080Ti user playing at 1440x900.

Yes high frames = coil whine.

This is all at 4k Native or DLSS highest quality.

Back
Top Bottom