• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
OP
If you’re going through a large amount of cards and they all feature similar traits it’s not that you’re the unluckiest person in the world, it’s that it’s within normal variance and “normal”.

It’s like people who exchange multiple ps5’s and say they all have whine, how unlucky they are.

It’s what the psu does in the ps5, and high end graphics cards are going to exhibit some noise, especially at high frame rates.

I’m not saying there aren’t some that have excessive noise, but I do feel certain people have unrealistic expectations and are NEVER going to find a card that exhibits the noise or lack of noise levels they are expecting.

I get what your saying but I had 3 ps5's and the last one was completely silent. 9 4090s and this one is silent, the Series X was silent first unit. It's annoying as anything swapping them out but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get results by doing so. It's a machine that's going to be used extensively so for me (in a home cinema) who finds buzzing far worse than fan noise, worth going the extra mile. Plus if just one part makes a noise it renders all the other silent parts in builds/rooms useless.

Soldato
OP
I admire your utter dedication to getting a whine-free card. I think its probably cheaper to move the PC away at this point. I totally agree, this shouldnt be the case on any GPU, let alone a top-tier.
I find it so strange how many people just accept "this is the norm" and "expected". Would you accept that if car makers said really squeaky springs is the norm? Or wind noise so loud you can hear it over everything?
AS I have said a few times... I dont get why they bother to invest in making the coolers quiet... why waste that time and money when your just going to fit it to a whiney board. Like you said... a coil-whiney component renders all the other silent parts completely redundant.
I have long wanted to do a full custom loop, 1 for the cool looks and 2 for utter silence at idle and load. But whats the point when current cards all whine? Id rather fan noise cover some of that up!

I should consider myself lucky at least my PS5 does not whine!!
Honestly sometimes sitting playing the PS5 on the OLED TV makes me think... why do I bother with PC gaming at all? Its so much less 'hassle' for a still great experiance!

100% it certainly shouldn't be an issue. My PC I've spent quiet a bit making it look really good, so don't like the idea of hiding it in another room either.

What this has made me realize is I won't be day one for the 5090 cards. I'll wait for user feedback (from people sensitive to it only) and if they all have it my 4090 will be more than enough for a long time. I really did need to upgrade this gen as im driving a 77inch oled 120hz screen.

Honestly I'd rather silence over performance, especially now. It was a hassle and a half getting what I have but knowing I've got a silent high performance gaming machine feels really good. Nothing is audible and I love it.

Soldato
OP
It has finally happened. I got another SuprimX today and I cannot hear the buzzing. Temps all fine, fans are quieter than my case fans. Don't want to jinx it but think I've finally got the 'one'.

Another case of new Suprims been awesome. Buzzing for you mate... wait sorry not "buzzing", but definitely happy after our long journey!

Soldato
OP
Update from my end.

Just went to someone's house who says they have no whine on GAMING OC.

I confirmed they are correct ad I could not hear anything and was very little if anythingm

I tested my system same resolution and game and same whine. We tested my card in their system and a little whine but not as bad.

Then tested their card in my system and whine like as bad as my own card.

So something with my system, and worse card. Confirms maybe need to change mobo again. My PSU is 2 month eVGA SuperNOVA T2 1600 and they have 5 year old eVGA 1000 G3. Both Super Flower based Leadex platforms. We did not swap power supplies as that would have been too much trouble.

But it is puzzling what is going on and why the whine on my cards. And yes I have already tried anothet PSU.

Wow very interesting. @Wolverine2349 do you have any YouTube videos of your cards whine so we can see relative to others that have it and posted here. I know videos never give you the full story but it would interesting.

Soldato
OP
Is it possible the person's house of whom I met online their l CPU was bottlenecking their 4090 even at 4k with 5950x?

GPU usage was in 90 percent or higher, bit could their be secret hidden bottleneck whetr GPU maybe not work as hard and thus less whine?

No chance dlss was on was it? Because virtually all 4090s I had had no whine with it enabled no matter the world load.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, I literally just packed it up and shipped it :( What does the placement of the sticker mean @Hostile_18

sec ill do a pic, just found one i took

4090msi.jpg

Nothing concrete but newer ones that have generally been better have had the serial number on the left like yours is. Guess you were very unlucky here :(

Soldato
OP
@Hostile_18

What motherboard, CPU, and PSU do you have with your current very quiet and almost no whine Suprim X. And I assume the same setup with the other Suprim X cards and Gaming OC and PNY you tried as well?

PSU and yes I believe the motherboard can make a difference.

B650 E-E Strix Gaming Wifi, 7600X and BeQuiet Pure Power 1200w. I think originally I had a B550 Tommahawk and a 5800x at the start of the journey.

Soldato
OP
I'm honestly not sure, but yes the PSU was the same throughout. I wouldnt say i was getting a straight run of bad cards. A third of which id say were decent. Here's my verdict on the cards.

Suprim 1: Coil Whine*

Suprim 2: Coil Whine*

Suprim 3: Coil Whine*

Nvidia FE: Fine.*

Nvidia FE: Fine.

PNY 4090: Coil Whine AND poor fans.

Gigabyte 4090 Fine, but lesser fans.

Suprim: Perfect.

* = old rig.

Soldato
OP
Interesting that Debauer said Asus have actively changed the inductors in their GPU range to reduce coil whine. Will be interested in any impressions from recent purchases.

Soldato
OP
maybe they found out its cheaper to spend £20 more on quality parts instead of dealing with hundreds of RMA over it

Ironically at launch it was the cheaper inductors that were less prone to whine lol.

At least MSI and now Asus seem to have responded. Sucks to be an early adopter sometimes!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
an early adopter of what? im pretty sure you can go back to the dark ages of pc gaming and coil whine was always a thing, just something people blow out of proportion now with the obsession of open air or silent cases sat on the desk right next to your face

An early adopter of a graphics card SKU. People buying a MSI or Asus 40 series are objectively getting a better experience after the revisions.

Everyone's hearing sensitivity is different. For some people a constant buzzing during a game or even idle is a total deal breaker. Also what about the people who buy expensive fans and cases etc just to get it ruined by one component. Coil Whine travels really far, I can easily hear it 5 meters away etc, especially if there's no white noise. Also what will other people in the house think?

Soldato
OP
When should I expect to hear coil whine. Maybe I got lucky my suprim x has been dead quiet in any game I've played so far and even in cuda based scenarios can't hear anything except the fans even overclocked.

Or is it something that will come in time only had it 4 days.

Main way is 4k Native under really heavy work loads (60fps plus max settings).

Red Dead is a notorious stress test for the 40 series. Oddly the Uncharted game selection menu too (even with capped FPS).

Soldato
OP
Just replying to my own post as an update. To make sure everything was still the same, I ran some more tests.

As of last night, the Suprim is now completely coil whine free. It's gone, nada, disappeared. No idea why, but I did a quick search and some folks say it will subside over time. I think thats risky as you will be out of your return window, but I can say it worked for me, mine is perfect now. Even removed fan curve etc, and its still perfect.

Sure your not just using DLSS now? As that reduces it almost completely.

Back
Top Bottom