• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
OP
This 4090 (and I guess other GPUs too) situation is annoying.
It'd be so nice if you could buy one of the top models from whichever brand and know that while you're paying extra you're getting good cooling, quiet fans and very little chance of coil whine. If you buy the cheaper models or cheaper brands you take your chances that one or more of those won't be so good. A compromise.

But this situation where even the top models from the good brands might not cool the VRAM or whatever well, might have coil whine and might have noisey fans just makes it so hard trying to decide what to get.
I think I've narrowed it down to either the Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 or the MSI SUPRIM X 4090 but I'm not sure there's a clear winner.
I've been reading this thread in the hopes it might sway me one way or the other, but it doesn't seem to have.

I've had both. In my opinion;

Looks/Build quality: Suprim
Coil Whine: Present on both, Gigabyte lower.
Fans: Suprim
Warranty: Gigabyte (4 vs 3 years)
Packaging/accessories: Suprim

Soldato
OP
Yep definitely a compromise I guess its just finding the negative you are willing to tolerate the most.

For me I've settled on tolerating coil whine under heavy loads if all the other criteria is excellent (Especially fans).

Soldato
OP
ive never had a card make more noise than the system fans

Yep and I think that's a lot of the reason why a lot of people think there card doesn't show coil whine. If you have a silent PC it can be really annoying. All depends on the games you play, cinematic games with quiet scenes can be ruined some what. Usually a bit of music drowns it out.

Soldato
OP
I have my case fans (bequiet lightwings) at 750rpm and they are inaudible.

It's going to be an option for me to raise them on higher workloads.

Gigabyte is going back Monday. New Suprim arriving tomorrow at a great price. If coil whine is all that matters get a Gigabyte, if its a balence of all features Suprim IMO

Soldato
OP
I have no problems with fan noise. Note that I have the base model, not the higher power models.

Yeah I believe the highest model has a larger center fan, no idea if that makes a difference. Ive heard lots of people complain about them but also heard a few with perfect fans. Like anything unfortunately a bit of a lottery. Someone mention Zotac were planning on sending out replacements at delivery cost, not sure if that ever happened.

Soldato
OP
Well I think I've got a newer model Suprim because it has no coil whine at all!

The outer box was also in a MSI box, where's all 4 of the others weren't.

So happy finally, best fans, best build quality and PCB and virtually silent. I only say virtually because I bet if I put my head right to it there will be something. Second best was the Gigabyte but this leaves it in the dust. Any way to find the manufacturing date?

Soldato
OP
Well how loud are your case fans? 750rpm Are they quiet? Silent If sound is off and you loud a game like GTA V or RDR2 or Cyberpunk with 4K with settings maxed out and sitting within a few feet of case, is it silent and sounds no different in gameplay then at idle? Very, very faintest noise close enough to nothing, Gigabyte was half of the other Suprims, this is a quarter or less of that.

And is room quiet? Very, I hate buzzing etc

Every 4090 I have tried has at least a somewhat faint, but not faint enough but yet annoying background of like a grinding noise which I count as coil whine when running RDR2 or GTA V or more inconsistent with TImespy no matter the FPS at stock.
And if I open panel, it is a harsher end of modest to harsh buzzing sound when card under load. Its like the buzzing is drowned out enough to emit a grinding/rattling/chainsaw noise in closed sound dampened case that is annoying and not faint enough.

It should be with side panel open buzz is pretty faint and low, not harsh and that way it would sound more like faint change in pitch of dead air or mild ringing in your ear type noise which is nothing kind of like my Giga Gaming OC 3090 Ti sounded which weas very tame coil whine. I gate grinding/bees nest/chainsaw noise like sound even if it is in background its too harsh and annoying.

What kind of motherboard B650 Rog Strix E-E and power supply 1200 BeQuiet Straight Power and is it connected to UPS No and on a dedicated 15 amp circuit?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Stories like this almost make it worse :(
Knowing that it IS possible to hit the proverbial coil-whineless 'jack-pot'.

I just wouldnt have the patenice / willpower to send back 4+ GPUs. By the 3rd one Id just have lost all interest and excitment for getting the new GPU in the first place.

I commend your efforts, but wish they where not necessary!!

If it makes you feel better I have been able to make it whine, but it's about a half of the Gigabyte which was already quieter than the first 4 Suprims.

Only way I'd hear it under heavy workloads is to mute everything and really listen for it, which would be silly in normal use.

Soldato
OP
What store did you get that MSI Suprim X from that is the best on whine and how many Gigabyte ones did you try that you say this good sample has only half the whine of?

Cant say the store on here. They have since discontinued 4090 MSI cards completely (as of yesterday).

Only 1 gigabyte that was half the previous 4 suprims. This is half the Gigabyte IMO. I'm really happy with it

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just a gaming one not the OC version. The fans weren't the best on that. Not terrible but kept revving up all the time.

I'd try and get a recent Suprim. But bear the very best ones still do make a tiny bit of noise under the most intense work loads. It's just that this recent one is tiny compared to all other cards I tried. So much better than first 4 Suprims I'd be very suprised if it wasn't a silent revision.

Can anyone remember where the serial number is located on the Suprim. My new one it's on the furthest left, pretty sure on first four it was near the plug? I may be mistaken.

Soldato
OP
Do they still whine like that if you cap it at 120? Im planing to get a 4090 and run it at 4k 120hz to match my oled tv but i dont know if i could live with that noise. Would a waterblock help?

Yep under intense workloads rather than solely on FPS. Each card has a different level that's what makes it so frustrating. I went through 9 till I go this one, which is by far the best.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info as I was very close to hunting down a new Suprim X with the new SN on the left or bottom instead of the right.

I had found an open box on ebay and was hoping it was the new one, but saw pictures and SN was above the 12VHPWR connector so it was not or would have pulled the trigger and bought it.

But your info states that even new ones are likely still bad whiners and Hostile_18 just got lucky and hit the lottery with their new Suprim X 4090.

@JediFragger does your quiet Suprim have the sticker on the left or right? Just trying to get more data to notice any trends. Whether it's a different revision or a different factory etc.

Back
Top Bottom