• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4080 & 4090 Coil Whine Thread

Soldato
OP
Its from one of the big competitors. But oddly they removed listings for the 4090 Suprim and Trio this morning. Someone messaged them and they replied they have "discontinued" it because its not available from their supplier anymore.

Soldato
OP
As my northen relatives would say, ee by gum and heck as like. If it's the place I'm thinking of they pulled that stunt with me for a barebones system that having waited 8 months to arrive "was discontinued and no longer possible to order" when three of their direct competitors had received stock, were shipping them (to relatives of mine, and for less money than I'd paid), and with those other stores having plenty more on order (confirmed by some serious order paperwork too that I got to peruse while discussing minutiae of specs with their sales rep. We had to scan through the actual manufacturer shipping notes and wholesale listings to find the information, it was quite involved). TLDR I got one from the other place, and saved £15 in the process. The first store who I'm itching to name just to slate them, but won't due to the rules here, are now on my blacklist. The place i bought it from? Still has stock and is still able to order them. "Discontinued" is a cop out lazy excuse from a store who doesn't want to fulfill orders/honour original pricing/is too lazy/<insert other dismal reason>

Sounds like a terrible experience. Ah well I did receive mine. It was a day after that that the supply that had 6 Suprims and 10+ Trios went to discontinued suddenly. They had the vest price at the time so it is possible they were bought in bulk.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's how my Gigabyte Gaming OC 3090 Ti was. Only annoying coil whine at 300 or higher FPS. Otherwise almost inaudible through my case under any load.

Every 4090 I have tried modestly to far worse buzz/whine than 3090 Ti. Very disappointed.

Well this is a 4k card predominantly. I can't imagine many 4k games with 300+ fps.

All my cards apart from this last one were limited to 120fps and still whined. In my experience it was load (wattage) that affected it, not fps with the 4090 cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Where were you buying your cards that let you return them for coil whine? The retailer I bought from would want to test it, I just know they'll say it's ok and decline a return, so I can't be bothered to go through all the hassle. I should have bought from the biggest retailer in the planet who have a no questions asked returns policy!

I recently bought a 4090 Suprim X, it has the serial number in the same place as yours (so new batch) and I've got a coil whine.

I think it's luck of the draw, and also dependant on load. If someone's gaming at over 200fps they're gonna hear it far more than someone playing a game at 60fps.

One thing I noticed that's far more annoying than coil whine is a resonance/vibration from the shroud at certain rpm. I've noticed a fair few videos appearing on youtube. Here's a video demonstrating the noise.

I've found it goes when pushing the shroud. It also seems to go back a few generations with the suprim X, there were videos of the 30 series suprims suffering with the same issue.

All my retailers agreed the coil whine was poor. Apart from OCUK which I just sent the pny back as "unwanted".

In the UK retailers can't legally deny you refunds for opening the box, no matter what their terms say. You have the right to "define the nature and characteristics of the device" or words to that affect. As long as its like new (you haven't damaged it in any way) you can return within 14 days for any reason. There's the odd exception like opened software etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I don't think I got one from there but it doesn't sound like you should have a problem. I had one I took stickers off. One I put back on and the rest I left on.

I don't think you'll have a problem, as long as its how you found it (no scratches etc).

Soldato
OP
No otherwise I wouldn't have kept it. The buzz on the Suprim's I tried was audible from another room.

My case fans (140mm) run at 650rpm. RDR2 is the game I test the whining on as it was always the worst and cannot hear it on this new card.
Play at 3440x1440 usually upscaled to 5120*2160 depending on game.
I don't have any noise outside either.

That's why mate, playing with dlss at 1440p upscaling to 4k is significantly less workload on the GPU. Pretty much all my 4090 cards were silent with any kind of dlss on :)

Soldato
OP
Surely my FPS would go up in that case? It's the opposite.

I've found on all my cards it's not FPS dependant. I cap mine to 120. It must be less work to render at 1440p and upscale than to produce a native 4k imagine. Literally in all 9 of my cards with dlss quality on each card has been dead silent.

Soldato
OP
Dont need to bin graphics cards for performance, bin then for coil whine lol. Pretty sure most would notice silence a lot more than + 3%.

Wonder if my close to silent 4090 will be a collectors item lol.

Soldato
OP
Just tried the super glue method on a PNY GeForce RTX 4090 card using the guide here: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ix-coil-whine-coil-choke-noise.294015/page-12

Only did the ones in red.

Sadly no difference. Still same old chainsaw/buzzing coil whine like noise:mad::mad::mad:

And undertvolting and even setting power limit to 50% does nothing.

At least the Gigabyte Gaming OC responded a bit to be quieter to undervolt and was almost silent at 50% power limit even though clock speed tanked to 1300MHz. And was definitely much better undervolted with 2300MHZ clock speed.

PNY card it tanks and still has the chainsaw noise coil whine anyways with like almost 0 improvement

You have balls of steel to super glue such an expensive card lol. Did you try the areas in red on the pic?

Soldato
OP
Is there even a Gigabyte Gaming non-OC??

Is that it,

Even that has the N4090GAMING OC-24GD model name which is exact same as OC model and it has OC in the model name.

I want the Gaming OC now to try Super Glue method on as it did not work after 2 tries with 2 PNY cards. Plus the chokes are farther spaced apart which should make it easier. Never tried non-=OC Gaming if it even exists and wonder if it is worse binned and high temps do raise alarm especially with the fact I want to do a fan curve to lower speed and keep it quiet.

What are you doing with the two glued PNY cards?

I'd just forget it now, dont waste a 3rd card. Either get a 4090 with low noise or a different one completely. It's just not worth the stress or financial loss.

Hell if anything use the money to move the PC out the room? :)

Back
Top Bottom