• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Associate
I’ve been out the loop for a while on modern CPU’s, Do people manually overclock these Coffeelake chips like with the 4770k for example? Or do you leave them stock and allow them to boost on there own?

I’m interested in one of these 8086k Chips to replace my 4770k but I’m not sure I’d know how to set it up to run optimally...

Soldato
I’ve been out the loop for a while on modern CPU’s, Do people manually overclock these Coffeelake chips like with the 4770k for example? Or do you leave them stock and allow them to boost on there own?

I’m interested in one of these 8086k Chips to replace my 4770k but I’m not sure I’d know how to set it up to run optimally...

Most people would delid an 8700k, remove the rubbish TIM, replace it with something decent and the overclock the chip to the desired frequency.

AMD Ryzen+ chips on the other hand, you get the most mileage overclocking the ram then setting the bios to boost the CPU.

Soldato
Yer, respectfully, most people are not going to risk their expensive new CPU by delidding it, especially if they've never delidded before.

But the relevant answer is that most people who overclock Intel... overclock. Pick your volts, pick your frequencies, and try not to melt anything :)

Ryzen 2 on the other hand; leave it alone and let it use it's own boosts. They're coming out of the factory set to the upper limit of what the silicon can handle anyway, there's nothing more to be gained.

Soldato
Mmmmmmmmm, the "gouging" force is strong on this one.

To be fair if there were people with oodles of cash queuing up to throw money at me for small gains in performance I'd snap their hands off too. I'd just buy a retail chip and take my chances but then I don't have oodles of cash ;)

It's also a good thing that their are companies around that can offer these services add there are people who enjoy their tech, have money but no skills or confidence/time to do it themselves.

Now if it was food and water I'd be revolting with the peasants too lol

OcUK Staff
der8auer finally sending you some love from Casking.de with those IHS's then, haven't they had them pretty much since the launch of the 8700K?
No we had for a long time also just pm did not set up on the website for a while. We had them up on 8700k afew months now.

It's not price gouging at all people get the product they pay for and speed they pay for with better thermals and warranty.

If you want a 5.3 chip for example or more then they will be priced according to the percentage doing the given figure and how difficult they are to find.

Some businesses not just individuals will pay extra for any gains most of our highest binned chips go this way these days.

These run on z370

Last edited:
Associate
My new 8700k I received yesterday is L751D415

No tested it yet as waiting for the motherboard & Ram to come..
I don't really want people to read my comment and hold high expectation as silicon lottery is a game of statistics :p Good luck with your chip and please tag me in when you find out how overclockable the chip is.

Soldato
OP
Wonder what going be the price difference between these two cpu's...

Binned 5.2ghz i7-8086K
Binned 5.2ghz i7-8700k

Binned 5.2ghz i7-8700k currently £799, in 2 weeks, it'll be worth about £400 and that's being generous. The lower end ones have already been reduced to clear, well reduced, but still they'll be worth the same as an 8700K non-binned CPU in 2 weeks (Total Recall, keps coming to mind :D)

If you just bought an 8700K, then it's a real shame since the price will no doubt fall once these land.

Back
Top Bottom