• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Man of Honour
It would just be seen as Coffee Lake series and may or may not be identified correctly by description string. A microcode update might be required for full compatibility and to be correctly ID'd.

Soldato
Lol agreed, skip both the Intel heat spacers, save over £100 and buy the better and cooler running 2700X !! xD

Im not sure I’d refer to the 2700x as better and certainly not for most people’s use... Better value if that’s your thing but not better. Still likely to be wiping the floor with Ryzen in gaming and I still find it hard to swallow the lack of attainable high memory speed years in to the platform vs my 8700k happily running 4,133 memory.

Soldato
Im not sure I’d refer to the 2700x as better and certainly not for most people’s use... Better value if that’s your thing but not better. Still likely to be wiping the floor with Ryzen in gaming and I still find it hard to swallow the lack of attainable high memory speed years in to the platform vs my 8700k happily running 4,133 memory.

You pay for that performance. Throw in a Freesync screen and you'll be hard pushed to see any difference in gaming, yet you've spent a lot more cash on the INTEL setup

Soldato
You pay for that performance. Throw in a Freesync screen and you'll be hard pushed to see any difference in gaming, yet you've spent a lot more cash on the INTEL setup

Exactly what I said, you pay more for more performance... from someone who has owned both the 1800x and 8700k you absolutely notice the difference in many games, particularly less multithreaded. That’s with G-Sync included.

I don’t think a few hundred quid is ‘a lot more’ cash either in today’s tech market.

Soldato
Exactly what I said, you pay more for more performance... from someone who has owned both the 1800x and 8700k you absolutely notice the difference in many games, particularly less multithreaded. That’s with G-Sync included.

1700 > 8700K 1440P Gsync, there is definitely a difference.
The only people that deny it are those that haven't owned both.

Soldato
1700 > 8700K 1440P Gsync, there is definitely a difference.
The only people that deny it are those that haven't owned both.
As someone who has owned both Coffee Lake and Ryzen, and a 1440p G-Sync monitor, I can't agree with your assertion. Indeed, the reason I still have my "placeholder" 1600 is entirely because I didn't notice this supposed gulf in performance. And indeed even taking subjective and perceived experience out of the equation, my overclocked 1080 Ti taps out long before the CPU does in anything remotely demanding, as measured objectively by MSI Afterburner's OSD. In terms of stuff I have installed right now that can make decent use of a 1080 Ti - Far Cry 5, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Watch Dogs 2, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Quantum Break, Mass Effect: Andromeda - my GPU is pegged at 100%, which means I have nothing to gain from throwing more CPU power at it.

Perhaps you could name some games where I'm apparently really missing out. I'll give you World of Warcraft, where a highly-clocked Intel CPU certainly does provide a notable benefit, though I feel that's a poor argument for buying an 8700K when an overclocked G3258 would provide the same benefit.

Associate
My understanding is that all cores will hit 4GHz out of the box, and single core will boost to 5GHz out of the box.

It's a pretty big jump, actually.
ah ok, so when i do overclocking in the bios when i put 47,48 etc, is that just for 1 core because i thought it syncs all cores

Associate
Depends on your BIOS setup, but generally you should be setting that frequency across all cores. I also disable turbo boost when I'm overclocking, so all cores are running at my desired GHz.
so with this turbo boost of 5ghz, does that mean i have a guaranteed overclock of 5ghz?

Back
Top Bottom