• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4870 + AC Accelero S1 Rev2 = F..T..W.

this was at 790/1100, i had been playing cs:s for an hour without problems then it suddenly fails at 3D mark.

Since the VRM heatsink doesent really fit properly i have used a tight, thick elastic band to hold it in place.

edit: VRM is sitting at 58' Idle and 76' after 5 minutes of Furmark

Last edited:
Very odd, what is your core temperature? I was playing at 825/975 and was at about 52 load on the core and 60 on the MEMIO

1100 on the memory could be your problem.

I put a thick layer of AS5 on my VRM's and it was holding it by itself, I thought that might not help temps but I cant see it improving if I take it off and repaste with a think layer, I put a thicker one on as I thought that it might not be touching in the first place, it took me nearly 30mins to scrub the gum stuff off I jsut wish I used the stock stuff on the VRM sink now instead of putting AS5.

Apparently AS5 can conduct electric too, yet on AC website they say its not, surely if it was I'd have had a dead card by now and I've had the VRM's up to 105 in furmark for some time and it hasent shut down yet, I get the odd black screen in Crysis at 830/1000 but I cant tell if it is a driver problem or overclock as it was running furmark perfectly which appears to stress the card MUCH more according the the VRM with that power its drawing in.

Last edited:
Since a lot of people were maxing out CCC i decided to have a go and jump in at the deep end, bad idea there i guess :(

Idle:
core-44.5
vrm-58.5

Load:
core-around 58
vrm-76'

But arent you using to 92mm fans? im running 1 120mm in a hot room (loft insulation ftl) and i've still got to finish off the airflow in my case (fan position and cable tidying).

Yea I am running 2x 92mm fans, dont know if they are better than 1 120mm though. My P182 aint the best for cooling.

What game did you get 76 VRM in?

seems lower than mine, but idle I dile at about 42-44 and VRM at 50.

Right.

I have just took the card out and reseated the fans with tiewraps so its straight and blowing on the card more and tidied the cables up, pics below:

DSCF0968.jpg

DSCF0970.jpg

How I had it before:

DSCF0963.jpg

I dont think it has improved temps, if anything 1-2 degrees.

Idle its currently at 44 and VRM at 48.

Last edited:
Thing is people ,the 4870 memoery and voltage regs need to be cooled efficiently, passive isnt good enough. Looking around the web quite a few peoples cards are failing after fitting aftermarket coolers not designed for the specific job of 4870. Many people have used the stock cooler base plate along with aftermarket coolers which is by far the best bet to date.There is a post on the net which some one took thermal pictures of 4870 with stock cooler and aftermarket coolers including waterblock (aquagratix 4870), i was shocked to see results, ie board reading 50c when pcb was over 110c.
Maybe im being too cautious but i wasnt happy with the aquagratix waterblock which was designed for 4870 so i returned them . i think ill try the EK blocks now.

Last edited:
Thing is people ,the 4870 memoery and voltage regs need to be cooled efficiently, passive isnt good enough. Looking around the web quite a few peoples cards are failing after fitting aftermarket coolers not designed for the specific job of 4870. Many people have used the stock cooler base plate along with aftermarket coolers which is by far the best bet to date.There is a post on the net which some one took thermal pictures of 4870 with stock cooler and aftermarket coolers including waterblock (aquagratix 4870), i was shocked to see results, ie board reading 50c when pcb was over 110c.
Maybe im being too cautious but i wasnt happy with the aquagratix waterblock which was designed for 4870 so i returned them . i think ill try the EK blocks now.

As you can see I have 2x 92mm fans on it.

I bought some cleaning stuff, thermal pads and MX-2 last night so I'm going to try the stock cooler base, but the problem with that is its going to be hotter I though since its just a flat smooth base.

I dont know weather I shoulf take the current gum off the VRM which cooled it and put new stuff on (stock cooler base)

I'm on the 8.8 betas here I dont see any reduction in VRM temps, they get to about 80 though in games and apparently they are rated for 125 degrees.

Bandy, the card is cooled by the large heatsink more efficiently than the old cooler, thats why I see 42-45 degrees idle compared to 81, you could say just the same thing about the stock cooler, but it goes all out of the back, the temps in case dont seem to be heated up much as the cooler is always fairly cool to the touch, so the heat has cooled a good deal before it gets off the cooler.

The heat is also pulled out of the case by 2x 120mm fans.

Last edited:
Ok finally got around to fitting an Accelero S1 Rev.2 and turbo module onto my 4850, never known such a fiddly time-consuming task it was a real pain.

The VRM heatsink hasn't a pray of fitting onto the 4850 as it's about twice the size of what it needs to be so I ended up hacksawing the heatsink from the original cooler and sticking that back on again.

The temperatures make it well worth the effort though my idle GPU temp has gone from 64 degrees to 38 degrees but much more impressively my full load temps have gone from 85 degrees to an incredible 47 degrees :eek:

Yep gone down around 10C as there is nowhere near as much heat being generated by the 4870 now as it is currently idling around 44C today vs 80C on the stock cooler!!

Erm, that doesn't really compute.

Lower gpu core temps means that the heatsink is more effective at dissipating the heat, the amount of generated heat is still the same.

If anything, case temps with the side on would go up, due to the heat not being blown out the case, and the heatsink being more effective at getting the heat off the card, and subsequently into the case.

I got some stuff here ready to take the heatsink off my 4870 again.

Just wondering.

Which should I do?

Use the stock fan base and put some new thermal tape on where the vrm is as the stuff for the ram is still fine. Or should I re use the stuff on the VRM thats allready on?
Or should I use the VRM sink that comes with the accelero 2 and put some of this Akasa thermal tape on the VRM sink? or use MX2 for the VRM sink also?

what is everyone using to measure the vrm temps? Ive got a trail version of Everest 4.50.1330 and that showing my vrm temps as hitting 65c with the stock cooling. Dunno if that is accurate or even reading the right thing though.

Gonna be sticking a waterblock on my card this week and really dont want a full cover block unless my vrm temps are going through the roof

Back
Top Bottom