• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4A Games update Metro Exodus, new engine, Ray Tracing GPU now required

Caporegime
A4 Games wanted this game on consoles, because there is a lot of money to be had out of console gamers, its a another and very large market section to sell more games into.

The problem is Exodus is packed with Nvidia's proprietary features which don't work on consoles, so A4 Games have spent the last year or more refactoring their engine to use AMD's approach and tech, because they have to to get it to work on consoles.

IMO this is a lesson for other devs, do you go down AMD's agnostic rout or Nvidia's proprietary rout and spend another year or two (with all the costs that entails) after PC release to get on consoles?

The former is far better for the gaming community as a whole.

Soldato
OP
A4 Games wanted this game on consoles, because there is a lot of money to be had out of console gamers, its a another and very large market section to sell more games into.

The problem is Exodus is packed with Nvidia's proprietary features which don't work on consoles, so A4 Games have spent the last year or more refactoring their engine to use AMD's approach and tech, because they have to to get it to work on consoles.

IMO this is a lesson for other devs, do you go down AMD's agnostic rout or Nvidia's proprietary rout and spend another year or two (with all the costs that entails) after PC release to get on consoles?

The former is far better for the gaming community as a whole.

makes no sense, RTX runs on AMD, therefore will run on console too

Permabanned
You saw that with Blizzard - for years their games did much better on Nvidia,but the moment AMD started throwing "assistance" their way,the latest WoW expansion seems to make even RT run OK on AMD GPUs.

That's due to WoW only implementing RT shadows.

Raytracing should have shadows, GI, refelections and caustics. So far AMD do well in shadows only due to Nvidia apparently not optimising purely for. Dirt 5 is a good example where AMD scores high, but you'd never know it was raytraced shadows unless told so.

I'm a little disappointed in the poor implementation of raytraced reflectins within this enhanced edition. I'm guessing this is due to console limitations.

Soldato
That's due to WoW only implementing RT shadows.

Raytracing should have shadows, GI, refelections and caustics. So far AMD do well in shadows only due to Nvidia apparently not optimising purely for. Dirt 5 is a good example where AMD scores high, but you'd never know it was raytraced shadows unless told so.

I'm a little disappointed in the poor implementation of raytraced reflectins within this enhanced edition. I'm guessing this is due to console limitations.

Its not going to be on consoles , as per the OP post

Associate
It must be the old competitive gamer in me but RT does nothing for me its just more distraction

but then don't play any solo games

Caporegime
In the FAQ released today for the new Metro Exodus upgrade, the developer put up an answer to a curious question

Will Metro Exodus be upgraded to support AMD's Super Resolution Feature?

tldr answer: No, AMD's Fidelity Super Resolution technique is incompatible with our game's rendering pipeline and from what we've seen Unreal Engine's existing TAA upscaler already offers the same image quality as Super Resolution.

https://www.metrothegame.com/en-us/news/the-metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition-arrives-may-6th/

Thats like asking if the console version will have DLSS :p

Soldato
OP
RTX doesnt run on AMD - thats the nvidia marketing and method name - Microsoft DirectX Ray Tracing = DXR.

but humbug said the game is full of Nvidia rtx, but you're saying the game is full of Microsoft dxr, not RTX so if it's DXR then itnruns natively on AMD and console and what humbug says is not true. So which is it who is right you or humbug?

Soldato
but humbug said the game is full of Nvidia rtx, but you're saying the game is full of Microsoft dxr, not RTX so if it's DXR then itnruns natively on AMD and console and what humbug says is not true. So which is it who is right you or humbug?

first why don't you define what RTX is. We already know DXR stands for DirectX Raytracing.

Caporegime
makes no sense, RTX runs on AMD, therefore will run on console too

RTX or DXR? while they are technically the same thing they are also not, RTX games are set up for Nvidia's scheduler which is very different to AMD's, its about optimisation for the hardware and RTX games are optimised for Nvidia, to get it to run well on AMD it needs a rework and you would want that as the consoles are only about as powerful as a 5700XT - 6700XT.

Associate
RTX or DXR? while they are technically the same thing they are also not, RTX games are set up for Nvidia's scheduler which is very different to AMD's, its about optimisation for the hardware and RTX games are optimised for Nvidia, to get it to run well on AMD it needs a rework and you would want that as the consoles are only about as powerful as a 5700XT - 6700XT.

So would assume games will be made optimized for AMD going forward because of the consoles?

Soldato
I hope I'm wrong but it sounds more and more like AMD's solution is just a glorified variant of temporal upscaling which is good but can't compete with DLSS 2.x.
That's what DLSS 2.x is as well, with the only difference being the clamping step which is what's assisted by ML. There's no reason why the quality cannot be the same, though performance would be lower (but my bet is the difference wouldn't be significant).

Man of Honour
That's what DLSS 2.x is as well, with the only difference being the clamping step which is what's assisted by ML. There's no reason why the quality cannot be the same, though performance would be lower (but my bet is the difference wouldn't be significant).

Without the additional information though you can't fill in the gaps - you can get some very nice edges to mask the lower resolution but there will be a missing level of detail within objects vs DLSS.

Soldato
I just don't think AMD without significant investment is going to even come close to DLSS. Look how few games even support it properly for Nvidia, and they have dedicated machine learning to do it.

My opinion is that DLSS is a band-aid for a lack in performance, but let's be honest, it's getting hell of a lot better and becoming viable. If they can get it in more titles, and sell it on more than just 'performance' (which is a complete misnomer anyway), then it will be better. I think the future of it will be 'better than native'. I.e. 4K rendering 8k or whatever, to remove any weird shimmers etc/glitches etc so things look more natural.

Back
Top Bottom