500bhp for less than £10k

Soldato
Hi folks,

Please help settle an argument i'm having with a colleague,

Im saying you cant get a roadworthy 500bhp car for less than £10k and he says you can and showed me a shagged out old merc and thats about it.

So I put it to you, is there anything out there with 500bhp under the hood as standard for less than £10k or a cheaper car you could buy and tune for less than £10k thats not a bag of bolts?

Soldato
450bhp is possible for less than £10k. Not sure what the point is, unless it's a car you're really after, though.

Soldato
as with most things like this it is of course possible that's not to say it's good idea! The three examples linked above must have potential for some absolutely shocking bills when inevitably for a highly tuned older car things go wrong!

Caporegime
You could get 500 HP out of a Saab 9-5 Aero with a built engine and big turbo. In fact any tuneable turbo engine in a cheap car would be possible with ten grand.

That wouldn't be a shagged out car either. Say 2k for a good condition Saab 5k on the engine with 3k left for suspension and tyres. You would be mad to do it but would be one hell of a sleeper.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
None of the Mercs linked actually have 500hp stock. They are around 490hp. (Both 600TT and 55K models).

You can easily get a 55K or 600TT engined Merc for under £10k, but yeah, they are not actually 500hp as standard. (Although they will mod to well over 500hp for not much at all).

Caporegime
You could get 500 HP out of a Saab 9-5 Aero with a built engine and big turbo. In fact any tuneable turbo engine in a cheap car would be possible with ten grand.

That wouldn't be a shagged out car either. Say 2k for a good condition Saab 5k on the engine with 3k left for suspension and tyres. You would be mad to do it but would be one hell of a sleeper.

Mad...or awesome? I'd go with awesome.

Back
Top Bottom