500bhp for less than £10k

Soldato
OP
Ive never bothered other than odd posts in "What have you done to your car today"

But in short it's a mk2 with a Subaru turbo, an aftermarket ECU and some big Injectors slapped on. Made 253bhp on the Dyno last year and is now making a bit more than that due to some exhaust mods

So im presuming that going down the route you took sees more power gains and is cheaper than the "official" MX5 turbo bolt on kits?

Did you do the work yourself? Did you have to change the clutch or any of the engine internals?

This has got me interested as both my brother in laws compete in Auto solo event with Preston Motorsport clubs and the MX5 seems like a cheap way in.

Man of Honour
I really do need to come for a ride with you next time.

Next time we're both at a meet just give me a nudge,

So im presuming that going down the route you took sees more power gains and is cheaper than the "official" MX5 turbo bolt on kits?

Did you do the work yourself? Did you have to change the clutch or any of the engine internals?

This has got me interested as both my brother in laws compete in Auto solo event with Preston Motorsport clubs and the MX5 seems like a cheap way in.

It was one of the typical off the shelf kits. Engine is completely stock internally although I'm more or less at the limits of what is considered sensible without at least fitting forged con rods. Stock clutch gave up somewhere around 220bhp/180ft/lbs.

I've done all of the work myself including the mapping. As far as power is concerned the typical Subaru turbo setup will see 250bhp generally

Soldato
OP
Next time we're both at a meet just give me a nudge,

It was one of the typical off the shelf kits. Engine is completely stock internally although I'm more or less at the limits of what is considered sensible without at least fitting forged con rods. Stock clutch gave up somewhere around 220bhp/180ft/lbs.

I've done all of the work myself including the mapping. As far as power is concerned the typical Subaru turbo setup will see 250bhp generally

Well this will see me on google and auto trader all weekend fantasizing now!

As an auto solo/ track car/ weekend toy would you recommend it? for a complete first timer?

Man of Honour
Well this will see me on google and auto trader all weekend fantasizing now!

As an auto solo/ track car/ weekend toy would you recommend it? for a complete first timer?
I'd recommend starting out with a stock MX5 for a couple or months, then driving it for a few months with a low boost turbo setup before going the whole hog purely so can learn the car, as things can get out of shape pretty quickly with so much power in such a light chassis

Soldato
OP
I'd recommend starting out with a stock MX5 for a couple or months, then driving it for a few months with a low boost turbo setup before going the whole hog purely so can learn the car, as things can get out of shape pretty quickly with so much power in such a light chassis

So yours is a 1.8 then? I see some of the early models are 1.6 engines.

In your experience is there any common issues to look out for when buying an MX5? id be looking around 1998 sub £2K? would that be a good starting point?

Sorry for all the questions :D

Man of Honour
So yours is a 1.8 then? I see some of the early models are 1.6 engines.

In your experience is there any common issues to look out for when buying an MX5? id be looking around 1998 sub £2K? would that be a good starting point?

Sorry for all the questions :D
It's a 1.8 1998 MK2, with no ABS which I paid £950 for at the end of 2014.

Mechanically they are more or less bomb proof, youll probably replace most of the cooling system as things will start to leave due to age, and rear brake calipers are prone to seizing. Biggest thing they suffer with is rust. MK1s are a little less prone, but they command a price premium and the chassis isn't quite as good as the MK2

Associate

Yes, as a passenger, curborough in the wet with no LSD was rather interesting.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
This surely just shows how pathetic modding rubbish engines is? 390hp? Lol. I've got just 100 less from my commuter diesel and 100 more from a standard unmodified 14 year old Sunday cruiser albeit with a big old v8 engine.

Man of Honour
This surely just shows how pathetic modding rubbish engines is? 390hp? Lol. I've got just 100 less from my commuter diesel and 100 more from a standard unmodified 14 year old Sunday cruiser albeit with a big old v8 engine.

To be fair looking at what parts are fitted it's nothing to do with modding rubbish engines and everything to do with modding badly. The reason its hitting a wall at 5k like he said is because it needs more boost to not choke the turbo

Back
Top Bottom