• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800X Boost set to 5050Mhz all cores with AMD Curve Optimizer

Associate
OP
No clock stretching is reporting high CPU clocks with less performance than default. Clock stretching tricks the user into thinking they have that big shinny number but in reality get less performance overall.
Default clocks on AMD Ryzen is up to 1.5v. You can run at lower voltage 1.2v but you must test your CPU for clock stretching, just make sure you have same performance as default voltage and prefer more performance than default voltage.

Soldato
No clock stretching is reporting high CPU clocks with less performance than default. Clock stretching tricks the user into thinking they have that big shinny number but in reality get less performance overall.
Default clocks on AMD Ryzen is up to 1.5v. You can run at lower voltage 1.2v but you must test your CPU for clock stretching, just make sure you have same performance as default voltage and prefer more performance than default voltage.
Ta. Makes perfect sense, though it just seems like providing untrue stats to impress people when infact it's lies!

PBO does seem to work great, I guess because it pumps up the volts to stabalise things.
I tried 1.38 V override with all core 4800Mhz and left PBO enabled. R20 didnt like that and crashed after 30 seconds or so, probably because more voltage is requried.

I don't think there's a settings to allow an all core boost multiplier of 4800Mhz whilst leaving PBO enabled so its ~3700Mhz idle. I did manage (last week) to get 4800Mhz all core working but think I had to set voltage to 1.45 V which would be all the time which I didnt like.
There really should be an over ride for all core voltage, but boost all core only.

Sorry if that doesnt make sense, i'm bad at explaining it

Edit -

Setting 48x multi overrides PBO. All cores shows 4800Mhz and all core VID is 1.325 V max. Single core boost stays at 4800Mhz also.

Changing the multiplier back to auto, PBO kicks in and max core VID shoots up to 1.50 V max

Surely PBO is either applying too much voltage or when the multiplier is used and auto voltage is left, not enough volts are being applied making it unstable

Last edited:
Associate
No it was this one https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/4-sticks-better-than-2-ryzen-5000s.18905725/

Maybe it just got deleted instead of merged with that one. Our convo isn't in that thread.
alec said:
You are changing frequency - bandwidth. Encoding does like bandwidth, but latency not as much.
Test 3600 16-16-16 vs 3600 20-20-20, difference will be sub 1%
Very good point and yep 0.3%. I guess for encoding 4x dual rank won't make much difference then.

Soldato
Im starting understand Ryzen overclocking a bit more now

All core boost generates a lot more heat. 4.5Ghz on all cores 100% automatically uses 1.325 V and hits 82c on good air cooling.
Taking it much higher manually, e.g. 4.75Ghz on all cores 100% automatically uses 1.375 V and hits 89c on air cooling.
4.8Ghz all core and auto voltage crashed shortly after it hit 90c

There must be an auto thermal shutdown at 90-95c which is being hit. It could be overridded because the actual thermal limit is 115c I think for the 5800X

Manual voltage im sure I tested last week and needed 1.4V to hit 4.9Ghz all cores, but cant be certain if I can multi or single R20 test. Probably the single core test as it would have been too higher temperature.

PBO seems great for single core auto overclocking as a single core will hit 1.5V at 100% usage, but then keep switching core to core so only for a short period of time

Ideally I would like 4.75Ghz on all cores, whilst using PBO to boost single core at a time to 5Ghz. This is not possible as all core multiplier overrides PBO

This of course is overclocking and useful only for trial and error / testing.
Gaming wise, nothing uses 100% of all 16 threads yet anyway.
That said, it's good fun to seeing the 8 core 5800X beating 10900K 10 core chips that are overclocked to 5.2Ghz :)
I'm an Intel fanboy so it's interesting seeing the multi and single core scores getting beaten with less cores, cost, heat and more power

Last edited:
Caporegime
Im starting understand Ryzen overclocking a bit more now

All core boost generates a lot more heat. 4.5Ghz on all cores 100% automatically uses 1.325 V and hits 82c on good air cooling.
Taking it much higher manually, e.g. 4.75Ghz on all cores 100% automatically uses 1.375 V and hits 89c on air cooling.
4.8Ghz all core and auto voltage crashed shortly after it hit 90c

There must be an auto thermal shutdown at 90-95c which is being hit. It could be overridded because the actual thermal limit is 115c I think for the 5800X
TJ MAX on 5600X, 5800X, 5900X = 95c.
90c on 5950X.

Associate
OP
AMD CPU's are good first post in thread has this video
All Core 4750Mhz and 5100Mhz single. If I change the setting to 5200Mhz it would be all core 4850Mhz and 5200 single, still testing for stability.It may never be be stable at 5200Mhz but that is what I am going for 100% stability and it will take a month to find out for sure.I say keep playing with your 5800X.

Associate
OP
Post #62 in this thread I posted some information from AMD ,in that post,I know it is hard to follow these things ,I have pointed it out a few times and on the screen says TJ Max Temperatures
EmHKqLuXIAAdJLq

Soldato
AMD CPU's are good first post in thread has this video
All Core 4750Mhz and 5100Mhz single. If I change the setting to 5200Mhz it would be all core 4850Mhz and 5200 single, still testing for stability.It may never be be stable at 5200Mhz but that is what I am going for 100% stability and it will take a month to find out for sure.I say keep playing with your 5800X.
Whst does that score on multi core?
I managed 6376 on 4750Mhz

elOWFfA.png

Associate
OP
EDIT: Forgot to mention in post #62 it is stated with new under volting stuff,it will be called with curve optimizer should be awesome for reducing temperatures but who knows
AMD Adaptive Undervolting
Yes that is a correct score @4750Mhz all core overclock with real time priority set for cinebench. Now I am not trying to be mean, you can judge your CPU performance by that all you want. You will get a handle on how Ryzen CPU works ,I can not keep repeating myself every few post.

Last edited:
Associate
i cant use the curve optimiser negative offset at all, even -3 will crash. seems my CPU is on the limit at stock AUTO voltages. can manage 5000 on cores 1,2,4,6,7 and the others will boost to 4950-4975 seeing 1.5v max

Ill wait for a few more agesa updates and try again later. iv messed about enough for now.

Soldato
i cant use the curve optimiser negative offset at all, even -3 will crash. seems my CPU is on the limit at stock AUTO voltages. can manage 5000 on cores 1,2,4,6,7 and the others will boost to 4950-4975 seeing 1.5v max

Ill wait for a few more agesa updates and try again later. iv messed about enough for now.
Same, im going to wait until December / January for BIOS updates. Changing or even enabling Curve optimizer in the MEG Unify X570 BIOS shows no changes have been made. Maybe its not working correctly on the MEG Unify just yet

Soldato
Same, im going to wait until December / January for BIOS updates. Changing or even enabling Curve optimizer in the MEG Unify X570 BIOS shows no changes have been made. Maybe its not working correctly on the MEG Unify just yet

At least you have the option not got it on my MB :)

Seriously, just got my 240mm AIO and fitted it yesterday. My cinebench temp has gone from 82c to mac 70c quite pleased with it. Idles about 28c and in game so far its been around 48c-50c.

Think I will wait till they push past the beta BIOS and release a final one too before doing some more testing with PBO etc.

Back
Top Bottom