• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800X Boost set to 5050Mhz all cores with AMD Curve Optimizer

Associate
so far ive got +150mhz and -15 curve on all with default PPT, TDC, EDC

this gets me 4650 mhz in cinbench r20 at around 80-82 degrees which is much better, i will try the lower PPT now

Excellent results so far fella, might be a bit more mileage in it, but I'd be happy with that personally as 80 degrees in benching is likely means sub 70 gaming.

Try lowering PPT as you said, it might yield better temps on your setup. Always nice seeing each core hitting 5ghz :)

Associate
Yep, so with the default PPT TDC EDC I can't seem to go beyond 150 mhz and -15 curve tried moving my 2 worst cores to 20, boots fine, insta crashes cinebench.

tried the limited PPT TDC EDC i get the same boost and score with a 5 degree decrease, not sure where i should go from here, would love to push for more ghz but not sure how else i could go about it.

with defualt PPT and an undervolted 3080 im getting 200 fps on nuketown with 1440p ultra (not RT) absolutely nuts results

Associate
Update, same settings with lower power insta crash cinebench, the settings that were stable last night arent now (+150mhz, -15CURVE on all, defualt power) :( damn :(

Associate
Further update

returned to Mobo power limits, +150mhz x10 PBO with -15curve on all

Cinebenchr23 10 min test

5-4.9mhz max
4.65mhz ave
1.381mv max
1.23 mv ave
83c max temp
15766 score

so now its not running hot after being on fire last night ahahah this chip really has a personality

Associate
@Towel it sounds like you're nearing the limits of the AGESA implementation rather than hardware, as I can use the settings you have and get wildly different results lol.

My best scenario is still to run the negative curve per core, where others have reported it seems to just default them all to the lowest setting. Hopefully future BIOS updates will yield more consistent results!

Associate
Would the LLC be useable any suggestions? looking at these two videos
Out of tech youtubers I tend to trust more Buildzoid and his oscilloscope. He demonstrated how LLC adjustments can lag behind the load applied and be a cause of instability on transient loads.
So I keep LLC on lowest setting. Allowing voltage to droop on high multicore loads, which is completely fine with me.

Associate
@Towel start at +0 boost, auto scalar, mobo limits and adjust curve first. See how negative you can go all core (usually -30) and then start to adjust based on how each core performs (can also check their peformance score in event viewer, ID 55).

Best cores won't need as much negative curve, but your worst can go quite far (majority of mine are -50). Once you find good curve vs performance you can start to add boost and then after that test out manual PPT, TDC and EDC, which should help reduce temps a bit. Leave scalar on auto.

Associate
I've been playing with my clocks.

The best I've managed to get stable is +150Mhz with -5 on my two best cores (according to RM), -10 on the rest. This gives me the occasional 5Ghz jump in 1-2 cores and an all core boost of 4650. Max temp is around 70c.

This looks miles away from other people's results. I noticed the only apparent limit I'm hitting is EDC, so I tried raising to 150A it but according to HWInfo, it's still at 140A. I've tried uninstalling RM incase that was overriding it, any idea what's going on? Is 140A already the max?

Associate
Did you disable limits and leave PPT etc to zero?

Not sure what I did before, but I went back and everything seemed to be zeroed.

I just noticed there is two places to adjust PBO settings and the one under OC seems to actually change these settings.

I've now upped EDC to 160 and it no longer tops out at 100% (none of the power limits do) but I'm still seeing a maximum of 4.6GHz all core, so I’m not sure what the limit is here if the temp doesn't go above 73c.

Soldato
I've been playing with my clocks.

The best I've managed to get stable is +150Mhz with -5 on my two best cores (according to RM), -10 on the rest. This gives me the occasional 5Ghz jump in 1-2 cores and an all core boost of 4650. Max temp is around 70c.

This looks miles away from other people's results. I noticed the only apparent limit I'm hitting is EDC, so I tried raising to 150A it but according to HWInfo, it's still at 140A. I've tried uninstalling RM incase that was overriding it, any idea what's going on? Is 140A already the max?
If you have an msi board I found 2 places for setting EDC and only the one in the overclocking menu which doesn't have curve optimiser worked when increasing EDC yet oddly the other in the settings menu worked when decreasing the limit just not raising it.

You might need to lower the curve more to see a higher all core boost but then this can limit single core stability to it's really a balancing act for what you want to achieve.

Last edited:
Associate
If you have an msi board I found 2 places for setting EDC and only the one in the overclocking menu which doesn't have curve optimiser worked when increasing EDC yet oddly the other in the settings menu worked when decreasing the limit just not raising it.

You might need to lower the curve more to see a higher all core boost but then this can limit single core stability to it's really a balancing act for what you want to achieve.

Yeah MSI X570 Tomahawk, except I do have curve optimiser under the OC menu.

All this time I’ve been using the one under advanced settings and it didn’t seem to have much effect or perhaps was unstable so I’m wondering if some settings were applying and others were not.

I’m currently testing higher negative values on the lowest ranked cores and seeing a fairly big jump in performance.

Soldato
Yeah MSI X570 Tomahawk, except I do have curve optimiser under the OC menu.

All this time I’ve been using the one under advanced settings and it didn’t seem to have much effect or perhaps was unstable so I’m wondering if some settings were applying and others were not.

I’m currently testing higher negative values on the lowest ranked cores and seeing a fairly big jump in performance.
I'm still stuck on agesa 1.1.0.0 patch D so hopefully 1.2.0.0 should arrive soon with some improvements to the curve.

Associate
Just had my first random reboot in over a month coincidentally minutes after the first Windows Update I've done since and just updated MSI Afterburner and Realtek Ethernet driver too. Lol?...
So that's 1 crash every 720~ hours I guess, I don't know if I bother changing anything or if it was a fluke, maybe the house has bad power rarely?
Way too infrequent to trial and error settings, can try maybe a whole 12 different settings a year, maybe have a new CPU before anythings figured out
99.999999999999999999% stable

You know what I’ve found 100% effective at finding unstable curves/overclocks/memory configs?

Load testing node apps overnight. If it lasts the night, it’s not experienced a single crash any other time. It’s found unstable overclocks that were otherwise stable for days on end.

Back
Top Bottom