• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 Needs 2 monitors DVI and 1 Display Port

Soldato
unbelievable! How can AMD advertise a feature like Eyefinity without big warnings all over saying "u probably wont be able to use this feature". Ridiculous! Was the reason i wanted to upgrade :mad: I tried TH2GD previously but didnt like it enough to justify £250 on the box and then a gfx upgrade at £250 but the solution of just a gfx upgrade made it doable.

Boooooo, hiss to ATI unless they get the adaptors sorted real soon!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I see that they've kept quite about this though.

Jesus christ - they haven't kept quiet about it it's plastered over all the documentation for eyefinity.

Does nobody read up on a feature they are intending to use anymore?

RTFM!

Associate
unbelievable! How can AMD advertise a feature like Eyefinity without big warnings all over saying "u probably wont be able to use this feature". Ridiculous! Was the reason i wanted to upgrade :mad: I tried TH2GD previously but didnt like it enough to justify £250 on the box and then a gfx upgrade at £250 but the solution of just a gfx upgrade made it doable.

Boooooo, hiss to ATI unless they get the adaptors sorted real soon!

Que? It's been common knowledge that DisplayPort was the driver behind EyeFinity for yonks - it's not AMDs fault that people haven't checked the datasheets and specs!

Associate
i assumed you could have used 1 DVI port, and the HDMI port for 2 monitors, and the displayport one with a DP to HDMI adapter. have seen some online for £20 or so.

take it this is wrong then?

Associate
As I understand it, it requires a native DP connection - no dongles or adaptiods will work, which is backed up by the OP:

yes that right u cant use 3 monitors with dvi even with dongles i have tried.
tried using hdmi dongle display port dongles no go.

Associate
that sucks then. i wouldn't have minded buying an adapter.

no idea how i'd sort this out now. was planning a 3 screen setup in jan time. a re-think is needed i think

Associate
that sucks then. i wouldn't have minded buying an adapter.

no idea how i'd sort this out now. was planning a 3 screen setup in jan time. a re-think is needed i think

Bear in mind that with Apple and now the new ATi cards supporting DisplayPort, there's a good chance that DP will filter into mid-level monitors pretty quickly, just like HDMI is now on pretty much every 22" screen you can get, even the £150 ones.

Ok, so triple screen setups are going to be pricey as hell for the next, ooh, year or so, but I think come this time next year things will be very different and DP penetration should be much higher.

Associate
So can I use two DVI monitors and one DP monitor?

Can I use them at different resolutions too?

Was thinking of getting a Dell 3008 to go with two Samsung SM2693HM's

Soldato
Bear in mind that with Apple and now the new ATi cards supporting DisplayPort, there's a good chance that DP will filter into mid-level monitors pretty quickly, just like HDMI is now on pretty much every 22" screen you can get, even the £150 ones.

Ok, so triple screen setups are going to be pricey as hell for the next, ooh, year or so, but I think come this time next year things will be very different and DP penetration should be much higher.

Still making it cheaper to buy a TH2G unless ur happy not having matching monitors :rolleyes:

Soldato
Sure I saw a picture of a multi monitor 5870 and it had lots of display port connections on the back, personally I have no interest in multi-monitors so sorry I did not pay much attention but I think I would have double checked requirements card and monitors first because a normal imfo is sketchy with new stuff !

It may have been fudzilla

Associate
There's that new NEC 23-inch monitor on OCUK's store, with IPS panel and DisplayPort connector for £300. Looks really good.

And yes, they kept mentioning DisplayPort in the same breath as Eyefinity in just about every blog post and article that I've read so far, so they haven't hushed it up in the slightest. It helps to read before you buy :rolleyes:

Sure I saw a picture of a multi monitor 5870 and it had lots of display port connections on the back, personally I have no interest in multi-monitors so sorry I did not pay much attention but I think I would have double checked requirements card and monitors first because a normal imfo is sketchy with new stuff !

It may have been fudzilla
That's the special 5870 Eyefinity edition with 6 DisplayPort connectors. Available in November iirc.

Last edited:
Associate
So even if you put a DisplayPort adaptor on your monitor and connect to the displayPort on the ATI it isn't going to work?

Why not, for heavens sake?

Possibly because Displayport hardware on the monitor makes it possible, and a monitor without DisplayPort simply isn't capable of doing it?

As the specs have suggested since they released the info?

Associate
So even if you put a DisplayPort adaptor on your monitor and connect to the displayPort on the ATI it isn't going to work?

Why not, for heavens sake?
Because though DisplayPort is capable of carrying a DVI signal (via separate pins), DisplayPort and DVI are not electrically compatible - their signals are different. The circuitry within the card uses some feature of DisplayPort that enables the Eyefinity feature (for some engineering reason beyond me). Hence, the card needs one *native* DisplayPort connection to a DisplayPort monitor.

At least, that's what I believe to be true - correct me if I'm wrong.

Associate
This was from the Eyefinity presentation a couple of weeks ago, looks like it will work if you have the right type of adaptor. Looks like they hooked this up to 3x 1920x1080 displays via HDMI

TripleHDTV-cables.jpg

Soldato
I should have read more about eyeinfity xD

I did just try it with HDMI + 2 DVIs. Windows etc picks all 3 up but won't let them all go at the same time, they keep fighting over each other. I haven't got anything wit ha display port *sign* I hope ATI do manage to make some sort of adapter :D

My fault at the end of the day but the main feature I wanted won't work XD

Looks like I've got it just for low Wattage/better FPS/DX 11/Long lasting graphics card/First! :cool:

EDIT: Epic find Typhoon!!!!!!!! Now to try and find out where I can get one of those bad boys!

Last edited:
Associate
I remember reading this ages ago, that you'd require to plug one monitor in via displayport.
Yep me too. All the EyeFinity stuff I saw from AMD had footnotes saying DisplayPort was needed to use three monitors.

Fortunately I've just upgraded, and have DisplayPort on my main Dell U2410 monitor. My other two will connect with DVI. I'm really looking forward to moving to a single graphics card for three monitors. I can remove that 8400GS for the spare screen! My idle consumption and heat should be even lower with the 5870.

Back
Top Bottom