• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900x or 5800x for gaming?

Associate
Hi All,

I'm building two brand news systems for my kids (for their saved up $$$ :D). I have all the parts, they wanted a rgb bling (aio h100i platinum, x570 tomahawk, 32gb corsair dominator RAM, seasonic focus 850w psu, Lian Li lancool mesh rgb case, 3080 GPus (once they will become available) ). They are gaming on 1440p@165 monitors.

For CPU if price difference is indeed $100USD, I was leaning toward 5900x since it has more cores and more cache, however it will have 2 chiplets with CCX in each which might add latency comparing to single CCX on 5800x. I'm not planning to upgrade their PCs for the next 4-5yrs.

Please advise.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thing this is obvious..5900x is higher number

Associate
multicore cinebench 2040 for OC 5600X vs 2005 for stock? i7 10700K and 2112 for stock? 3700X
obviously i9 10900K would be faster in multicore, still slower in single

I imagine it will, but why not say that? Unless the fact its not faster in multi core lessens the impact of the story.

Still sounds like the 5600x will be a great gaming chip.

Soldato
I imagine it will, but why not say that? Unless the fact its not faster in multi core lessens the impact of the story.

Still sounds like the 5600x will be a great gaming chip.
Surely better going 8 cores over 6? Even if keeping in like with PS5 8 core

Associate
Surely better going 8 cores over 6?
wrong, the other way round

Given equal multicore performance it is always better to complete it using fewer cores. Because not all workloads are perfect multicore (see games) and then having fewer cores that are each more powerful ends up faster overall.

(in servers it is a toss-up. There power consumption matters more)

Soldato

Given equal multicore performance it is always better to complete it using fewer cores. Because not all workloads are perfect multicore (see games) and then having fewer cores that are each more powerful ends up faster overall.

Why didnt Sony add only 6 cores or less then in the PS5?

Associate
Why didnt Sony add only 6 cores or less then in the PS5?
Well, they didn't have access to Zen 3 cores did they?
You skipped the bit "given equal multicore performance".
Comparing 6 core Zen 3 to 8 core Zen 2, 6 core is better overall.
But 6 core Zen 2 vs 8 core Zen 2 obviously 8 core is ahead.

Soldato

If only it was so simple.

Associate
Pricing aside, I assume the 5950X is 8+8? If so and the argument about single core CCX design being more effective holds true AAAND the next generation of games are designed to optimise 8 cores (per consoles), then surely the 5950X will be faster in future than the 5900X?

Speak slowly, I'm not very clever.

Associate
surely the 5950X will be faster in future than the 5900X
5950X will be faster from the off. More cores, higher boost.

rest is complete speculation and some wishful thinking.
there is no such thing as "optimising for 8 core" that would make it not run (well) on a 6 core. Even less for a 12 core.

Edit: I am in same boat, trying to talk myself to go for 5950X instead of 5800X
My reason is just 5GHz stock boost :(

As for single CCX effect, we will need in-depth benchmarks.

Back
Top Bottom