<£5k Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
It’s not as easy as it used to be.
10k doesn’t buy as much as you might imagine it would.
I mean no disrespect to anyone when I say this, but this the exact challenge I'm not sure everyone appreciates. The used car market is crap and everything is much more expensive that ore covid. The world is broken. The idea of forking out £10k cash (which I can stretch to now should I need to) for something that's utterly boring is really disheartening.

Soldato
OP
Not bought a car since before the covid world. Last car I bought was 5 years old and only £6K. Still going strong nearly 3 years later.
"since before the covid world"

That's the difference. Chip shortages thanks to the world going bonkers and crapping itself over this crappy virus.

That five year old car of yours would likely be £9k now

Associate
Before covid I would have said It’s a easy task to find a decent car in that price range. A 5k car is more like a 7k car Sense covid, the market is nuts. it can still be done, just need to more patient and be ready compromise.

Underboss
This. That's the problem.

Anyways, this is around the corner from me. A little pricey but a safe bet?

Zetec S are worth a little more than the zetec, looks really good, but its the 1.6 engine, if that was 1,8 id say defiantly worth a look

still worth a look though , worth a test drive for sure. especially up hill

cambelt is 10 years a think ? so make sure thats done

Soldato
OP
Zetec S are worth a little more than the zetec, looks really good, but its the 1.6 engine, if that was 1,8 id say defiantly worth a look

still worth a look though , worth a test drive for sure. especially up hill

cambelt is 10 years a think ? so make sure thats done
Haven't seen many 1.8s near me at all :(

Soldato
OP
Obviously not the cheapest to tax or run fuel wise but what are people's thoughts on the 2009 era type Rs? Reliable and a fun car that I'd be tempted to keep a while. Just more potential to have been ragged about given it being a hot hatch

Don
If you can't manage to find a "normal" one in good condition within your budget, I can't see how the performance version is going to be any more attainable.
They'll also suffer from having fallen into the cheap to buy bracket (for a performance car) but then have been run on a shoestring budget with things like tyres and servicing having been skimped on, as well as potentially having had all manner of aftermarket mods (tasteful or otherwise)

Soldato
OP
I would happily stretch my budget to 7k, maybe further, or so for something I'd enjoy being in. Be it fun, or comfy, or with tech. Under 5k, ideally well under, is get by for 6 months territory

Associate
I would happily stretch my budget to 7k, maybe further, or so for something I'd enjoy being in. Be it fun, or comfy, or with tech. Under 5k, ideally well under, is get by for 6 months territory
You can cancel the word comfy from any 8th gen civic! Unless you are on a flat road going straight that is.

Soldato
OP
Sorry folks, I must be causing some confusion. I meant that if I get boring car that I settle for, then it'll be a cheap run about for 6 months. However if I find something I'd like to keep longer, like a year or two, it'd need to be fun OR comfy, not necessarily both. Obviously a type R is only one of those haha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom