• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6700 XT Owners Thread

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Define hot? Some people are happy at mid 70s celcius on a GPU, yet others would panic if it goes near 70c.

Good point.

I know with the 30x0 gpus it seemed undervolting allowed for a cooler - and sometimes faster - gpu. I assume it would be the same for the 6x00 series.

Soldato
It does help, you can keep the same fan profile and lower temperatures, or the same temperatures but lower noise. I have an RTX 3080 undervolted and running at 1800MHz at a significant reduction in heat and power useage. I have had a 6800 reference for a short while and it ran cooler and quieter with an undervolt. It is so easy with AMD software as well as the ability is built into the drivers, so no need for 3rd part tools.

One thing worth noting, is simply saying "it runs hot" without detailing the temperatures as well as case/environment is pretty much pointless. I could take the exact same GPU, run it in a different case and see a big difference.

It is for this reason pretty much every review ever made that lists GPU temperatures on an open bench system has to be taken in context. They may list 10 GPUs in that open case and while it is useful as a reference in that setup/environment it means nothing when it comes to your particular setup.

For example people say the RTX 3080 FE runs very cool and quiet and that is indeed true for mine as well. Yet it made my RAM OC unstable and increased CPU temperatures ~5c. That is because the exhaust cooler design dumps a lot of heat out the back right over your RAM and CPU block. That isn't giong to be an issue on an open test bench system.

Last edited:
Soldato
Zero need for DDU even then. It causes more issue than it solves. I only ever go to it if I'm having issues.

Exactly DDU should only be used as a last resort to fix an issue that can't be fixed in normal mode, like drivers that will not uninstall for any reason or causing some issue. Never had to use it yet on any of my systems, but has fixed issues on other peoples systems, but again not sure what they did to get to that stage to need to use DDU to fix the issue.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
One thing worth noting, is simply saying "it runs hot" without detailing the temperatures as well as case/environment is pretty much pointless. I could take the exact same GPU, run it in a different case and see a big difference.

It is for this reason pretty much every review ever made that lists GPU temperatures on an open bench system has to be taken in context. They may list 10 GPUs in that open case and while it is useful as a reference in that setup/environment it means nothing when it comes to your particular setup.

For example people say the RTX 3080 FE runs very cool and quiet and that is indeed true for mine as well. Yet it made my RAM OC unstable and increased CPU temperatures ~5c. That is because the exhaust cooler design dumps a lot of heat out the back right over your RAM and CPU block. That isn't giong to be an issue on an open test bench system.

Completely agree.

Soldato
Never had to use it yet on any of my systems, but has fixed issues on other peoples systems, but again not sure what they did to get to that stage to need to use DDU to fix the issue.

I would have agreed before, but yesterday I turned off my pc - removed RX5600XT, put in the new RX6700XT and it went straight to some 'generic display driver' in device manager. Couldn't reinstall/clean install the AMD Radeon drivers at all, despite restarts. DDU saved the day. Not sure what else I could have done really. I admit when I last upgraded (also AMD) I did the same thing and it worked fine. Just one of those things maybe..

Soldato
Completely agree.

I have lost count of the number of GPUs I bought expecting ~65c under load to find it runs 10c higher in an actual real system. It also begs the question, why do some reviews have contradictory temperatures and even power consumption numbers. Or my personal bugbear, the massive gulf in difference for noise levels. The reviewer that sticks a microphone beside a GPU in an open test system and declares it "too noisy" are just laughable. People should close that website and never look at it again. :D

Soldato
I would have agreed before, but yesterday I turned off my pc - removed RX5600XT, put in the new RX6700XT and it went straight to some 'generic display driver' in device manager. Couldn't reinstall/clean install the AMD Radeon drivers at all, despite restarts. DDU saved the day. Not sure what else I could have done really. I admit when I last upgraded (also AMD) I did the same thing and it worked fine. Just one of those things maybe..

Yes that's the great thing about DDU it can save the day, but some people seem to use it everytime they update their drivers and then wonder why they have problems. To me it's a last resort tool, after trying all the normal ways to fix any driver issues.

Also always better to download latest drivers and then unplug the internet and then go to safe mode DDU and then restart in normal mode again and now with the internet off it stops windows doing the auto driver download in the background that can also cause issues. Sometimes windows in the background updating the driver will also stop you trying to install drivers you downloaded.

Soldato
I would only use DDU when swapping vendors from AMD to Nvidia for example. My experience has always been "expect issues" if you simply swap after doing a regular uninstall.

When I went from Nvidia to AMD recently and just did an uninstall, I found an odd issue in AMD driver suite where Freesync on was actually off and vice-versa. Doing a DDU resolved it. But yeah, every time they do a driver update is just asking for trouble. Hell even just updating drivers as soon as new ones are out is not my thing. I'm still 3 or 4 revisions back on my 3080.

Soldato
I have lost count of the number of GPUs I bought expecting ~65c under load to find it runs 10c higher in an actual real system. It also begs the question, why do some reviews have contradictory temperatures and even power consumption numbers. Or my personal bugbear, the massive gulf in difference for noise levels. The reviewer that sticks a microphone beside a GPU in an open test system and declares it "too noisy" are just laughable. People should close that website and never look at it again. :D

It depends for me. I can completely understand open bench sound tests, but it needs to be in direct comparison to everything else, tested in the same way. Furthermore it needs to be done via temperature. It's not fair to test one card at 100% but keeping the card at 50C vs one at 100% but only just keeping it under 80C.

You can then fairly compare the amount of noise generated, with the understanding that it will make less noise in a case, but you can still compare them reasonably.

Soldato
It depends for me. I can completely understand open bench sound tests, but it needs to be in direct comparison to everything else, tested in the same way. Furthermore it needs to be done via temperature. It's not fair to test one card at 100% but keeping the card at 50C vs one at 100% but only just keeping it under 80C.

You can then fairly compare the amount of noise generated, with the understanding that it will make less noise in a case, but you can still compare them reasonably.

I dislike and distrust open bench testing, or any testing in an unrealsitic environment, because nodoby uses their PC strapped to their ear, or in an open case in an air-conditioned room while running furmark for an hour.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dislike and distrust open bench testing, or any testing in an unrealsitic environment, because nodoby uses their PC strapped to their ear, or in an open case in an air-conditioned room while running furmark for an hour.

It depends for me. If they keep constant air temp, mic is a fixed distance, then it makes the most sense, otherwise you're introducing more variables, such as which case, how many fans in that case, how fast are those fans going, which fans are they, which CPU, motherboard, hard drive etc etc.

Keep the controllables controlled, minimise variation. Then you can at least compare components to each other, even if you can't state how well it will do in any particular persons rig.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
It does help, you can keep the same fan profile and lower temperatures, or the same temperatures but lower noise. I have an RTX 3080 undervolted and running at 1800MHz at a significant reduction in heat and power useage. I have had a 6800 reference for a short while and it ran cooler and quieter with an undervolt. It is so easy with AMD software as well as the ability is built into the drivers, so no need for 3rd part tools.

I played with afterburner when I had a 3080 and undervolted a little but didn't have much time with it before I sold it to a friend. I'm not sure where to start with the AMD software to be honest but will have a look.

Soldato
Didn't realize there was a dedicated thread. Mines doa, although I havnt tried it at gen 3, I get no signal at all even to bios but tomorrow when home from work I'll try one more time at gen 3.
Same here, however I did try forcing the PIC-E slot to gen 3, I don't know if you read my post on this earlier in this thread though but just to clarify, my system wont power on at all with the card plugged in, the psu just clicks and there is no power delivery at all (tripping I guess), so I actually used my old card to get into the UEFI and and set that (even though I did not see that as being the issue in this case, I can't see anything physically wrong with the card but most of it I can't see of course as it's obscured by the cooler). I have 2 systems and neither will power on at all with the 6700XT plugged in, just for 'giggles' I even switched the older cards over between those two systems and they are fine, it is just the 6700XT that will not work.

Those systems if you are interested are;

i7 10700
Asrock Z490 Steel Legend
750w Antec HCG 'Gold' psu (only about 6 months old)
Old GPU is an MSI GTX 1080Ti

Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450M Mortar Max
EVGA Supernova 650w (I think this is a gold efficieny model too, can't remember now as this is about 4 years old)
Old GPU is an EVGA GTX 970

If there was any doubt at all about power supplies I think these two should have it covered ...and if it will power a GTX 1080Ti it will power a 6700XT, which uses a chunk less power.

Last edited:

kar

kar

Associate
Have tested mine in another computer and sadly the buzz is there under gpu load. Going to have to sadly send this one back.
Speaking to discussions about temps running fur mark my card hovered between 65/67 degrees at 55% fan. My case a fractal meshify has decent but unspectacular airflow so I think in terms of thermals it’s not too bad.

Soldato

I'd prefer just running games themselves as a test. But they dont use cases probably because theres too many different types, they are measuring just the card itself. Its definitely a good point about real world but also we're talking infinite variance and the testing peeps just want a standardised test I guess.
I wouldnt mind a case with xenon cooling or whatever fancy type there was but also Im not rich enough for that. Closest ideal I find is have the pc connected by leads only and in a separate area and very wide open not enclosed. Most people are not extracting enough hot air from their closed case. Noise etc is all a variation depending on the person, types of noise is another impossible to define factor.

CPU is highly relevant to performance, how many have got the best setup. Could be the card runs less hot for some because its throttled by the cpu without realising. This is the 3080 results quoted but applies in part to any high end card I think

Soldato
Ok RMA issued to me now, fingers crossed I get a new one quickly and don't have to wait ages.

When I get a new card that works, I can see for myself how the CPU's compare with it, what I can tell you though is that the 1080Ti is held back a bit by the Ryzen 5 3600 compared to the i7 10700, as I have both here I can see this quite clearly, it does rather depend on what game and resolution you go for though, obviously games that lean more on the GPU are closer, games that really do benefit from more CPU grunt to keep the GPU fed and already run at high fps, perform quite a bit better on the 10700, in all cases I have observed though it's a case of from high to higher though, these are pretty fast systems we're talking about all said and done and you could fully enjoy any game I have tried with either, but it's just interesting to see even the old 1080Ti does have headroom to unlock by moving to something faster than a R5 3600, which itself came out after the 1080Ti. I like 'balanced' systems generally and I do think people sometimes under estimate the importance of the CPU, it's not all about the GPU at all, everything is important and will make a difference to the experience you have, weather that difference matters or not though is the question I suppose. I imagine most people are not too fussed about the difference between 120fps on the 3600 and 150fps on the 10700, however that difference does mean to some you can hit your magic 144fps and stay around there.

Caporegime
I have noticed electrical interference through my headphones since I installed mine, and a little bit of coil whine, but not enough to bother me too much.

I'll try plugging the headphones into the back of the sound card instead when I can be bothered to move everything again :p

Soldato
I played with afterburner when I had a 3080 and undervolted a little but didn't have much time with it before I sold it to a friend. I'm not sure where to start with the AMD software to be honest but will have a look.

It's even easier on AMD. See the first few seconds of this video on how to do it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've played a bit with the tuning percentages, pushed frequency up 5%, voltage down to 93%, Vram up a tiny bit, and power limit down 5%.

No real idea what I'm doing, but it's still stable :D and in theory a little faster and less greedy.

Back
Top Bottom