• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6950XT Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
AMD's cards have been impressive in raster performance, especially when you compare power draw.

It's just a shame the ray tracing performance isn't quite there yet.

Associate
Yeah. Right now I'm ok with the trade off as most of the games I play and enjoy don't use ray tracing.

To be fair most games that do have ray tracing have not really been that impressive anyway.

The best looking game is probably Control, and that was more the particle effects that looked impressive rather than the ray tracing.

I think AMD's next gen cards are going to be really special though...

Associate
To be fair most games that do have ray tracing have not really been that impressive anyway.

The best looking game is probably Control, and that was more the particle effects that looked impressive rather than the ray tracing.

I think AMD's next gen cards are going to be really special though...
yeah amd will have caught up with the curent gen nvidia rt just as they launch their next gen

Associate
yeah amd will have caught up with the curent gen nvidia rt just as they launch their next gen

Do you think the gap in raytracing performance will be maintained then?

I've got a feeling the difference won't be as large but time will tell.

Truth be told Nvidia are my go to for graphics cards, the same way Intel were for cpu's but I ended up with a Ryzen processor and would go AMD if they can provide the fastest graphics card.

I tend to buy the high end (pc gaming is my only vice) so even a part is only 5% faster it would be the one I'd go for.

Associate
I suspect AMD will be all-in on RT in the 7xxx series cards - I don't think they expected it to be that big a differentiator this gen (and in most games, it isn't) but Nvidia's advantages here (including DLSS) definitely gave them the appearance of having the true 'next generation' product compared to AMD.

Associate
I suspect AMD will be all-in on RT in the 7xxx series cards - I don't think they expected it to be that big a differentiator this gen (and in most games, it isn't) but Nvidia's advantages here (including DLSS) definitely gave them the appearance of having the true 'next generation' product compared to AMD.

That's what I'm thinking too.

For the very reason that they seem to be pushing upscaling technologies. They saw the impact DLSS had and suddenly pushed aggressively with their own technologies. They can see where they're behind and they're not just going to sit there and do nothing.

While there are still reasons some people might go to Nvidia (streaming for example), if AMD offer similar gaming performance with lower power draw and a lower price they could shake the market up.

Associate
If I recall correctly TimeSpy favored Nvidia. I believe the leaderboards are mostly RTX cards.

Not since the 6900xt came out , it is the better card for Timespy so the 6950XT being better than the 3090TI in this particular benchmark is no surprise tbh , Some of the 6900xt are pushing over 25000 gpu score when pushed so will be interesting to see how much further these can go , probably something like 26000 i imagine with a few % uplift in games over the vanilla 6900xt :) https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/time-spy-standard-dx-12-bench.18740536/

Associate
For the very reason that they seem to be pushing upscaling technologies. They saw the impact DLSS had and suddenly pushed aggressively with their own technologies. They can see where they're behind and they're not just going to sit there and do nothing.
Exactly - look how competitive AMD have been with Ryzen vs. Intel - nobody saw the 5800X3D coming, or really expected it to deliver the way it did. AMD have some brilliant engineering talent and made huge strides with their rasterization performance - they know comparable RT performance is needed to compete with Lovelace so I'm expecting some big gains there.

Soldato

Why is the 3090ti lower than the 3090?

Soldato
Why is the 3090ti lower than the 3090?
CPU limitations, the GPU had completed the instruction but it has loop round all the processor cores before another can start. The Ti has a few more shader cores so it takes that bit longer to finish,. Increasing the resolution will normally eliminate that bottleneck as more shaders can be put to use.

Associate

I've got a feeling the difference won't be as large but time will tell.

Truth be told Nvidia are my go to for graphics cards, the same way Intel were for cpu's but I ended up with a Ryzen processor and would go AMD if they can provide the fastest graphics card.

I tend to buy the high end (pc gaming is my only vice) so even a part is only 5% faster it would be the one I'd go for.
yes im expecting amd to catch up with nvidia current rt technology but still be 1gen behind the best performing rt. dlss is more important to me anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom