• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7700k availability?

Soldato
I'm pondering buying a 6700k and a quality motherboard with some fast ram to replace my aging 2500k. Or should I wait for kaby lake?

I'd wait a bit longer personally, seeing as we're only talking a few months and the 2500k is still pretty good. Would rather pick up the new gen even though CPU's only make baby steps today.
When it comes to CPU's these days I either buy within a few months of first release or wait until the next gen if I don't buy within that window. Luckily the days where you had to upgrade due to severe performance loss with new OS's have long gone.
Still using a 3770k, 5 years old soon, and could easily last another two years I reckon but may upgrade before then

Last edited:
Associate
I'm pondering buying a 6700k and a quality motherboard with some fast ram to replace my aging 2500k. Or should I wait for kaby lake?

Definitely wait. It's only ~2 months after all.

You're also getting Z270 motherboards by waiting, and these will support Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake over the next ~2 years as well. And Coffee Lake is meant to finally go up to 6 cores.

Z170 support stops at Kaby Lake.

Associate
Ah I didn't know that. Maybe I'll wait for the z270 boards then. I'm guessing they will turn up with kaby lake chips?

I seem to have fixed my cold boot reset issue so I'll sit and wait for now....

Yeah they will do. MSI actually had a prototype model at a tradeshow saying it was coming in November: http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/MSI-Z270-Chipset-Intel-Kaby-Lake-Motherboard.jpg

Also Z270 comes with support for Intel & Micron's new memory called 3D Xpoint, or Optane. It'll basically be like ultra-fast SSDs. So as long as it isn't stupidly priced, that'll be another nice feature to have. I like the prospect of having a 10GB/s+ read/write SSD.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it will be much faster than a 6700k to be honest. But I'd obviously rather have the newer tech. I'm more keen on having the newer z270 chipset really.

It'll probably be worth waiting a little longer, I keep hoping to hold out until the next big leap comes, preferably 6 cores at mainstream i7.

Soldato
OP
It'll probably be worth waiting a little longer, I keep hoping to hold out until the next big leap comes, preferably 6 cores at mainstream i7.

Well my original plan was to wait for coffee lake and mainstream 6 cores, but a double boot issue (which only started when I added my 1070) is annoying me sufficiently to consider a full upgrade.

I have a big bill on the car this month, so will review things next month I think.

Associate
Most of my components are 6 years old, so I don't trust my PC to last much longer.

I'll be most likely getting the 7700k and Z270 on launch, as it'll be a big upgrade from Z77.

May wait till Zen too, just to see what it's like.

Soldato
Very tempted to jump on a 5820k setup from my 2600k, but the 5820k came out like 2 years ago... Having seen this thread, maybe it's best if I just wait a bit longer?

Only concern is what the prices will look like on the newer platforms - they could potentially rise quite a bit depending on the competition.

Soldato
Most of my components are 6 years old, so I don't trust my PC to last much longer.

I'll be most likely getting the 7700k and Z270 on launch, as it'll be a big upgrade from Z77.

May wait till Zen too, just to see what it's like.

If you haven't had issues with it you should be fine.

Very tempted to jump on a 5820k setup from my 2600k, but the 5820k came out like 2 years ago... Having seen this thread, maybe it's best if I just wait a bit longer?

Only concern is what the prices will look like on the newer platforms - they could potentially rise quite a bit depending on the competition.

I was considering it but then you might aswell think about getting the 6800k, newer tech and only an extra £50 over a 5820k.

Associate

I've had the occasional fail-to-boot and USB devices not playing ball recently.

VR doesn't seem to work very well. Not sure if it's just the CPU power, or a USB issue.

Z270 + 7700k looks to be quite a big upgrade. And also I can get M.2 SSDs and things.

Soldato

I was considering it but then you might aswell think about getting the 6800k, newer tech and only an extra £50 over a 5820k.

I did consider that, but there's hardly any difference performance wise. I'd rather pocket the 50 quid.

Back
Top Bottom