• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7700k delided CPU delided

Soldato
Looks like a mix up with the faulty one going back out and the one tested being different in honesty. For two different people to have same issue on same chip would suggest the mix up happened at OcUK when sending back out.

Associate
it does it in Intel burn test and latest prime suggesting it has issues with avx applications...as that's a feature of the cpu it has to be defective it shouldn't do that other people's don't.

Associate
I think I may need to contact CS also as I purchased a 5GHz chip but cannot get a stable OC on it at all. On the box it said 1.35v however I've gone up to 1.4 and it still crashed during real bench. I've got it stable at 4.8GHz @ 1.375v but I will hit 80c+ during gaming on a EK Predator which doesn't seem right at all (specially if it's delidded).
Anyone else seen this?

Permabanned
Must say guy's with all the hassle on these threads was paying a premium for 100-200mhz really worth it? Think I'd rather spend £25 for the tool and do it myself, it looks quite easy to do to be fair.

Associate
Must say guy's with all the hassle on these threads was paying a premium for 100-200mhz really worth it? Think I'd rather spend £25 for the tool and do it myself, it looks quite easy to do to be fair.

Only reason I went for this is I didn't want to delid a chip myself and it has a 12 month warranty. it was nothing to do with the binning for me... by the time I bought liquid metal, silicone to stick the lid and a tool to delid it just made sense to do this... have to say tho I didn't expect all these issues and to end up in a forum battle either lol the fact I was sent a chip that had been used/returned as faulty isn't good but it's not my rep that's being damaged by this.

I will give them another chance to resolve this see what happens... think I ordered my original chip on the 14th it's the 23rd today I'm still without a chip lol doubt that will change till next week now.

Associate
Only reason I went for this is I didn't want to delid a chip myself and it has a 12 month warranty. it was nothing to do with the binning for me... by the time I bought liquid metal, silicone to stick the lid and a tool to delid it just made sense to do this... have to say tho I didn't expect all these issues and to end up in a forum battle either lol the fact I was sent a chip that had been used/returned as faulty isn't good but it's not my rep that's being damaged by this.

I will give them another chance to resolve this see what happens... think I ordered my original chip on the 14th it's the 23rd today I'm still without a chip lol doubt that will change till next week now.

You could have bought a retail chip, stuck a decent cooler on it, and probably got ~4.8Ghz. CPU temp might have been higher than if it had been delidded, but no warranty problem and very little performance loss.

Permabanned

I doubt they would even know it's been de-lidded to be honest unless you were very sloppy. Retail chip has 3 years warranty verses a 1 year OCUK professional delid plus a premium. Think I'd rather buy from somewhere else and do it myself.

I've never de-lidded a chip but I reckon I could do it fairly easily looking at the vids on youtube, plus the added benefit of being able to say I did it myself.

Associate
I doubt they would even know it's been de-lidded to be honest unless you were very sloppy. Retail chip has 3 years warranty verses a 1 year OCUK professional delid plus a premium. Think I'd rather buy from somewhere else and do it myself.

I've never de-lidded a chip but I reckon I could do it fairly easily looking at the vids on youtube, plus the added benefit of being able to say I did it myself.

De-lidding shouldn't be necessary, but Intel must have their reasons.

Caporegime
De-lidding shouldn't be necessary, but Intel must have their reasons.

If amd can use solder between the die and the heatspreader there's no reason why intel can't. A delidded ryzen only gains a few degrees improvement compared to 15c+ for 7700's. Intel just seem to be doing it on the cheap.

Permabanned
But whats the reason for shipping a product that performs poorly compared to a simple TIM change? I mean the amount of money they spend in R&D for these chips they must be aware that they can retail a chip that performs considerable cooler, thus prolonging lifespan for very little cost and effort.

Anyway It's none of my business each to their own but I know what I would do.

Back
Top Bottom