• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7700K VS Zen 1700/1800X For gaming??

Soldato
OP
For some context, I have option of picking a 7700K up for £299 (New not used) and I already have the Intel mobo, my spec in sig.

I would like the AMD setup tbh, but the extra cost of motherboard etc is off putting as I am trying to save money for house move soon.

Don't wanna be kicking myself though by buying the 7700K if AMD is really a better option. This offer on 7700K will expire soon. Hmm, maybe I should just hold fire, sure some other offers on 7700K will crop up..

Soldato
If you can hang on a little over a week, I'd wait for the Ryzen launch, watch 7700k prices fall through the floor and then buy your i7. It will be fine for gaming for a long time.

Soldato
OP
If you can hang on a little over a week, I'd wait for the Ryzen launch, watch 7700k prices fall through the floor and then buy your i7. It will be fine for gaming for a long time.

Yeah your right mate, my impulse buying side wants to upgrade, but sensible thing to do is wait it out. Thank you guys for talking sense into me xD

Soldato

This. If you can wait it out a few weeks, then I would. End of the day, either AMD will fluff it, and the i7 will still be king, or AMD will nail it, and the i7 will fall in price.

As for the extra cost of switching platform, that really depends on a lot of things. The 1700X or 1800X may not be the best gaming chips in the Ryzen line-up. I mean, it's the intel chips with less cores that really shine just now with their clock speeds, so it may be that the 1600X is the sweet-spot for gaming / overclocking. And it looks to be priced, according to current leaks, somewhere around the £200-250 mark. Leaving money there towards a motherboard. And you are bound to get some money back for the motherboard you currently have, so it may well be the same / similar cost to change, so to speak, since presumably the RAM will swap over, as will all other components.

RSR

RSR

Soldato

I'm pretty sure nothing will change for months with Intel's pricing, it would be nice though if it would.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure nothing will change for months with Intel's pricing, it would be nice though if it would.
Depends how much stock is sitting around. If plenty - either Intel, retailers or both will cut prices.

If there isn't so much stock and Ryzen turns out to be decent - I can't see Skylake or Kabylake CPUs holding their 2nd hand value and there will be bargains to be had.

Soldato
Buying a new rig who the **** opts for the quad 7700k at £340 when you can have a hex for less or an eight core for the same price.

Yeah and I can guarantee we will soon see unlocked CPUs from Intel again down the entire range.

Because this has happened in the past when people recommended the FX 8xxx and I was "silly" enough to go for the 3570k Quad, which is still good enough for me today even though long in the tooth.

Personally I'd wait for some owners to get it and see how things look a month down the line, if it still looks great and you want it go and buy it knowing you've done all you could to get what is right for you. Dunno if it'll be worth the upgrade or not so that is what I'm doing.

Soldato
From the leaks we have seen IF they are to be belived have put SMT or rather AMD's version of hyperthreading is more efficent than intels which means its better with multi threaded stuff. Single threaded Intel has got the lead ever so slightly with the latest 7700k. So as long as the prices are right AMD have got a very competitive chip. Lets hope the leaks are real and i wouldn't mind moving to a AMD rig. Ive been wanting to upgrade my 3770k for a while. I know it will only be a small upgrade performance wise but should help with minimum FPS quite a bit which can making gaming much more smoother.

Soldato
The 7700k clocked will be better in virtually all games currently released I'd imagine. This may or may not change in the next 12 months. How much better is questionable as a lot depends on releases plus clocking performance of zen. If the 1600x doesn't do 4ghz and the 1800x can barely manage 4ghz unless under water, I'll probably see how the Intel prices go or wait for coffelake. The 7700k is a decent CPU for gaming but it's a terrible time to buy one.

Soldato
Neither or both will be more than ample!

It's an irrelevant question really as gpu will be the bottleneck not cpu and games are just not designed for more than 4 cores and before anyone quotes console 8 cores well they typically run at less than 2ghz!

Soldato
Can't really say until we see some gaming benchmarks for Ryzen. On the face of it, Intel's offerings will likely be better due to higher attainable clock speeds, but they'll also come at a pretty big price premium. Ryzen may be better in every other way, we don't know for sure yet.

Associate
I would wait a week, there are a few allegedly leaked benchmarks but ZERO gaming benchmarks. It's also uncertain if Intel will slash prices right away, that would allow people to upgrade to a hefty CPU without buying a new mobo.

Soldato
Buying a new rig who the **** opts for the quad 7700k at £340 when you can have a hex for less or an eight core for the same price.

Yeah and I can guarantee we will soon see unlocked CPUs from Intel again down the entire range.

advising a slower octo cored cpu in lieu of a far faster clock quad for gaming is simply very bad advice. When we know the hex and quad Ryzen pricing and performance you may be able to sensibly recommend those in place of a 7700k

for clarity even if it was the same price as a 7700k I would say the same to anyone recommending a 5960x, 6900k etc for gaming.

still maybe some people have an agenda to their advice that clouds their judgement somewhat?

Soldato
Nope, give me a cheaper ryzen Hex with comparable gaming performance any day.

so you'll wait to we see some proper benchmarks on retail silicon before advising a Ryzen chip then? Because we don't yet know that there will be a ryzen hex core with comparable performance and a lower price then a Intel alternative for gaming?

Last edited:
Associate
You pretty much nailed it there.

Will have to wait and see.

Hopefully it will live up to it, regarding proper benchmarks..it will also harm benchmarks done recently and reputation as well if not true and regarding benchmarks for 1700x etc.

Soldato
Probably very similar for gaming. 7700k might pip it, but 8 cores (close to Skylake/Kabylake IPC) will be better everywhere else I imagine.

Is 7700K much better than 6950X for gaming? If they were the same price I would pick 6950X every time.

We'll find out soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom