• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8 Pack looks at R290X

Permabanned
8 Pack Minecraft.
So we wil know answer to epic question....
Will it run minecraft ??

And for real hmm. Metro LL ?? Its got nice repeatable benchmark
Not like BF3/4 with no proper benchmark tool
Crysis 1 would be nice
Tomb raider got nice tool

Basically any game that got some sort of Benchmark tool

Soldato
Unlikely ill be getting a 290X. So this is the best i can do im afraid.

P18038 with AMD Radeon HD 7950(2x) and Intel Core i7-2700K Processor
Graphics Score 23064
Physics Score 11834
Combined Score 9762

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7369458?

Very nice scores their bud, crazy to think how cheap 7950's are today. Also I'm impressed that any single GPU, 290X / 780 can get so close to overclocked 7950's in crossfire. Think single 20nm cards will be able to break 20,000?

Soldato
The 290x hold everything i want in terms of raw gaming power (and i presume mining as well) and as i am not interested in crossfire/sli until 4k screens become affordable i shall with my last money purchase such a fine beast as the 290x and apply ample aftermarket cooling to it to... let it roar, let it soar, let it rain destruction upon the competition.. muha.. ohh

Permabanned
Is there no 2nd hand value in cherry picked cards that do mad overclocks? Bit of a waste if they just sit on a shelf afterwards (not that I'm saying that's what happens to them).

Suspended
Yeah there probably is!!! Not sold many to be honest.

Not surprised with it boiling along at 95c, no one wants that inside their case.

Its always something, they made a very fast card, great, yet, the only thing thats talked about is 95c and its cooler, just that dominates the entire discussion.

Do they not see these things coming? anyone with an ounce of sense would have predicted this. why didn't they just put the 7990 cooler on it?

Caporegime
Not surprised with it boiling along at 95c, no one wants that inside their case.

Its always something, they made a very fast card, great, yet, the only thing thats talked about is 95c and its cooler, just that dominates the entire discussion.

Do they not see these things coming? why didn't they just put the 7990 cooler on it?

I could be mistaken but i dont think 8pack is talking about the 290X. :D

Soldato
its only that hot because of the way it controls the fan. it has 2 modes. quiet and uber mode. quiet allows for up to 40% fan speed and then it adjusts its voltage and clock speeds to stay at 95 max. uber mode allows up to 55% or more if you want and runs at what ever speed the temps allow

it could easily run at low temps.
its like this "heat issue" with the ivybridge and haswell

they produce less heat than sandybridge but because ivy and haswell had paste instead of a solder under the lid they ran hotter because they didnt get rid of the heat quick like sandy could.

If the fan speed of the 290 is adjusted to allow it to blow more air through then it will run cooler at the expense of more noise.

Why can no one understand this? its so frustrating when people say it runs at 95c, of course it does if the fan only goes to 40% my sapphire cooled 7970 runs at 80 with 80% fan speed! If you think your card runs too hot then you turn the fans up, its simple as that! AMD designed it to run at 95c and it does happily. It blows the heat out the back of the case anyway so whats the problem? Your pc components are not gonna melt ffs.

end/rage

Soldato

Do they not see these things coming? anyone with an ounce of sense would have predicted this. why didn't they just put the 7990 cooler on it?

8pack is talking about the cards he's cherry picked/binned/ragged :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom