8 Packs 4ghz 32m Challenge win full Haswell 4770K Bundle.

Associate
I know what you mean with putting such a small matx board in a big case. I've got an 800d and don't really want a matx board but I want a asus board which overclocks well i.e. an ROG board.

My head says buy the Hero, but I don't know whether I should just wait for the Formula to come out, then again I don't want to spend over £200 and I reckon it will retail for somewhere aroun £230 and I'm not going to be spending that much.

One big reason I like Asus boards is for the MemOk button, I have used it so much over the duration of this competition.

I'm currently using a Asus MVE which I got for a real good price, and I love it to bits, has so many overclocking features.

Here's hoping that tomorrows today only involves a 4770k and a Asus maximus hero :D.

Associate
I've heard that as well wazza, the gene is the better board feature wise and with oc'ing memory. I think I'll get the gene, I don't have any use for the extra pcie lanes anyway, only ever use a single gpu.

I will be delidding though, the temps of these haswell's are even worse than ivy :|

Caporegime
Might be an idea wazza, tbf the current chip is performing grand with games etc. I's just a volt hungry hot runner. Ive got the upgrade itch and a few quid burning a hole in my pocket.

Associate
I had stuck with my p55 i7 860 since 2010 until january this year. I had intended to wait for haswell but stumbled upon a bargain off ebay and I just couldn't resist.

So far I've managed to sell my 3570k for the same amount I paid for it, and currently selling my mobo which again I'm selling at cost. So all in all I've had a play with ivy for free :)

Skylake is the big move, ddr4 etc, that will be a rather expensive platform change I reckon, should produce a more worthwhile improvement though.

Caporegime
65c max in game, case is a bitfenix shinobi xl. It has two half inch wide strips on the front for air intake. Though ive bodge mounted a 120mm 1500 rpm yate loon into 3 5.25 bays behind some lian li mesh bezels. Cooler is an alpenfohn k2 with x2 akasa piranhas, (1900 rpm max). The 670's do dump a lot of heat into the case too as theyre non ref gigabyte windforce cards. Theese arent clocked as the lower card is nowhere near as good a clocker as the primary one.

Caporegime
Aye, pretty ok mate tbh. And it's in a room that's at a constant 23c. I play a lot of bf3 which does push the cpu a fair bit. I could probably knock 4-5c off the cpu and the cards if i switched case to my lian li a70f. Airflow in it is insanely good yet quiet. I tried the 670's in my i7 930 rig last week, at 4ghz under a lapped TRUE the cpu was hitting 60c max in game, but the cards shot to 96c and 89c in seconds. Badly spaced p6 x58 de board in an akasa eclipse 62 case.

Associate
Weirdly I can get a first pass of 5.125 pretty much every time with a second pass ranging from 20.8xx-.9xx, I have even managed a 5.109 first pass, but the second seems to end up back to 20.8xx. Sooo close!!

Soldato
Keep pushing MadBoy :)

... and yes, there's a certain amount of variability in the times. You certainly can't judge the final result with any accuracy from the timings in the first two or three loops. I had plenty of runs that were slower than my previous best for the first three loops, and ended up knocking a few tenths off.

Back
Top Bottom