8 Packs 4ghz 32m Challenge win full Haswell 4770K Bundle.

Soldato
Shadow boxer, if your time was without any copy waza then it's really very impressive!

Thanks, it was! :) Wonder how low I could've gone with a stripped XP and Waza now!:rolleyes:

Real shame I didn't just have one more weekend. Literally got back from Cuba on Friday and Saturday went to Silverstone!:(

Enjoy your new kit, great to hear it going to be used for something worthwhile too!

Soldato
Thanks, it was! :) Wonder how low I could've gone with a stripped XP and Waza now!:rolleyes:

Real shame I didn't just have one more weekend. Literally got back from Cuba on Friday and Saturday went to Silverstone!:(

Enjoy your new kit, great to hear it going to be used for something worthwhile too!

Probably 8-10 seconds faster at least. Copy waza was worth ~4s for me on a stripped XP once I had optimised the procedure (this takes some doing though). I gained roughly 5s right off from the stripped copy of XP, though some of that was from being able to boot in at much higher settings than I could with Win 7. I didn't do any proper like-for-like comparisons though because it was clear that XP was the better platform once it was properly stripped. Would be interesting to see how a stripped Win 7 falls in.

There's a lot of time to be had in the OS + waza for sure, but you still have to work hard for it, and it takes time away from optimising the RAM.

You must have had very tight sub-timings to get your 7:33 Win 7 score at C9 1170Mhz... Did you take a shot of Mem Tweakit (or some similar program) by any chance?

Thankfully my time away came in the middle of the competition, not the end!

Associate
stripped copy of XP are definitely the biggest improvements by far - worth at least 4 seconds each when set up properly. Everything else is just fractions of a second (other than RAM tweaking of course). OS tweaking is definitely more time consuming and "open ended" than the RAM tweaking.

Agree on that, stripping win xp and getting it to boot was more than a challenge in its self.

Congrats on the win and great to hear how gear will be used.

In terms of a challenge spent plenty of time tweaking and overclocking the CPU but never looked much into the RAM. So got a lot out of this along with a pretty respectable time for ivy.

If only people could remember there is no "R" in my name ;)

Permabanned
I came second on sandybridge.
Very happy with time i have spend on tweeking. I applied memory settings to my day do day 5ghz profile and... IT RUNS !!!
So in the end i got extra 0.01 in cinebench thats good enough for me. Now i got 2.03 in single thread :D

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
Lord ZED
I chased down your SB time.
The IMC on my 2500k didn't want to do high clocks so I had to tighten up instead.
I might revisit and see if SUB 8 is possible.

Soldato
Congrats duffman. :)

I had weird results. I got my time into the 21 mins with dropping my ram from 9,10,10,24,30 to 9,9,9,24,30 but then dropping my ram timings even further to 8,9,8,18,24 put me back into the 23 minutes time. Must be a quirk with amd fx chips. Wanted to at least break 20 mins lol

Soldato
You me and everyone else thinks that.
Raikiri's score is just not possible

Absolutely.

Windows 7, with those timings and memory speeds? Not even close.

7:57.3 may be attainable on Sandy bridge, even with air, but not without some serious OS tweaks and MUCH faster memory. Love to know how he made the video though...

OcUK Staff
OP
No its not possible!!!

Duff Man could yo mail me @ [email protected] with your shipping details for the prize.

Also could I test your OS for efficiency please. Can you upload an image somewhere and explain your copy wazza. Just so I can compare against what I do when going for records. Efficiency with mine will be close and every little helps.

Associate
Also could I test your OS for efficiency please. Can you upload an image somewhere and explain your copy wazza. Just so I can compare against what I do when going for records. Efficiency with mine will be close and every little helps.

I would love to take a look at this also if you are prepared to make an image and some details available.

I now have the overclocking bug again... may need to get me a 4770K and board just for some bench fun. Been ages since I did any serious clocking. Might even get my Mach II out again.

Soldato
No its not possible!!!

Duff Man could yo mail me @ [email protected] with your shipping details for the prize.

Will do - thanks again :)

As far as the pi procedure and waza goes, it was fairly straightforward in the end:

- Running on a 60Gb SSD (vertex 2), I partitioned into two 30Gb chunks
- When I boot into Windows I open the two waza folders, one on the OS partition, and one on the second partition. Waza files are initially on the OS partition.
- Load pi, set priority to "Realtime", set affinity to CPU1 (I had only two CPU cores enabled in BIOS and I found CPU1 was stronger on mine)
- Do a few runs of pi 16k until I get a "good" time [109ms in my case]
- Select 32m in pi and press okay, so that the "Now start to calculate 32m digits of PI" box appears
- At this stage I cut the waza files from the c:\ waza folder and paste into the E: waza folder
- As soon as it starts to copy, I close the two folder windows and highlight the pi box
- After the copy finishes, wait 25s, then press enter to start pi running.
- Pray to the Gods of OC for a good time :p

The waza files themselves were just a 1536mb and a 512mb file, auto generated in Windows using the fsutil command. I tried alsorts of file size combos, and settled on these two. If there's any more info you want, or if you want me to make a video or something, then let me know :)

As for the OS image - I'll find somewhere to upload it. In the end I used a pre-stripped "Micro" version of XP. It had 8 basic processes running, plus system idle process and explorer. I tried several times to strip my own copy, but I kept screwing it up somehow (CPU-z wouldn't seem to display the correct CPU frequency).

As far as the efficiency, the upper limit for this competition was fairly loose at 4040Mhz, and pretty much all times submitted in this thread show frequencies between 4035Mhz and 4039Mhz. Yours are all done at a more strict 4.00Ghz, so we'd probably have to add another two seconds or so onto our times to get a true comparison with your runs.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
What you need to test guys if different size wazza for your system and different pauses between copies and when you start the benchmark. The problem really is it differs as each system config. changes.

Interesting Duff Man. You wanna play Pi sometime with me let me know. Did you use MAXmem?? 640??? 620??? I will test your style for sure.

Soldato
maybe I should have used wazza

Will have a go at using it and see for myself.

?! Your times were without any copy waza?!

I thought you were using all the super-secret tricks that nobody posts about? :p Plenty of posts about copy waza in other super pi threads on the web.

Still - very impressive if that score was without any waza. I'm sure I couldn't have matched your time without it... probably would have been 1.0 to 1.5 seconds behind you.

Back
Top Bottom