8Pack super fast smash the rest i5 Skylake Overclocked, Discounted killer GAMING bundle.

Associate
The point about running at 100%; not stepping down.

Does this mean the fans will be a constant high speed or are they temperature, rather than speed controlled?

And surely if the CPU is not stepping down at idle then any power savings from using this lower W CPU will be lost because the total draw per day will be higher?

Finally, could it be the case that future BIOS updates, or even newer revisions of these boards could address these issues?

Finally, could it be the case that future BIOS updates, or even newer revisions of these boards could address these issues?

The bigger worry is still intel sneaking in an update via Windows and switching off your overclock :(

Such a good price that my mouse button finger is itching but I would regret the purchase if I ended with a standard 6400.

Given Intel are clearly aware of the bios etc what is their official stance on these oc's?

OcUK Staff
OP
Mate who uses windows update. No offence but who does!! I have never once and its not effected me.

My customers who do often it messes stuff up anyway. Yeah sure they have complex rigs but really its not needed.

This bundle is burning very little power 88w at zero load. Fans can run low and only kick up if you load hard. So noise is not an issue at all. Even full load its almost silent.

Certainly this amount of power will take years of use to cost you the saving u made from the bundle in the first place and thats 24/7 use.

Due to the clock gen in Skylake without a lot of work Speed step cant be fixed for this with future bios. I am not saying it wont be but its certainly not a priority.

Thus far Intel have said nothing at all. As I pointed out earlier they may well be happy with it to ship volume of other SKU and give what appears now to be great value against AMD.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just ordered a full system built around this package. I've never overclocked a system before or built one from scratch so I'm a bit nervous about doing it all correctly. I'm reasonably confident in building it up as stock.

I take it there will be no problem in building up, getting it all running and installed then applying the over clock at a later date?

I also assume the overclock is fully reversible?

Thanks

Associate
if I were to buy this bundle can some advise a new case/power unit and a grafics card, sorry 8 pack if im asking the right ? in the wrong forum , there is 1 other ? will the over clock work on w10 as I hear windows 10 likes to reset thing ,sorry if im talking no sense

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Win10 fine. It's the date it messes with which u can fix manually.

PSU depends on gpu choice.
980 Ti need 750w +
980 need 650w +
970 need 600w +

Good quality watts though such as Superflower.

Associate
Purchased this bundle, new HDD and GPU and its running like a dream. Having never built a pc before or overclocked or even been in a bios this all went pretty well and took around 4 hours.

Thanks 8 Pack

OcUK Staff
OP
The microcode is updated via windows update. It has nothing to do with staying on the same BIOS.

This is actually incorrect. Windows update can update micro code but the microcode resides within Bios.

So dont update the microcode via windows update all is fine. On ASrock OCF you can even select Microcode you wish to load at boot. Its completely selectable from Bios not windows.

Associate
could you do the same overclock with the Intel Core i7-6700 on this motherboard

i was also wondering this, so i copy&paste into google and found this. It says yes.

but i believe the actual real life benefits (gaming) between i5 & i7 are small to none?
So a good i5 overclock would be all one would need i suppose, for the best performance in this price range. Or is it..

I did a little more digging around, one thing lead to another, and i found the i3 bundle. Obviously one would think i3=less performance than i5. especially this bundle which would offer the same performance as similar oced i7. Untill something caught my eye
I can report that the i3 at 4.5ghz was equivalent in performance to a 6600K at 4.4ghz

Well, this changes everything. I figured out on my own i5/i7 are equal in gaming, and 8pack has reported the i3/i5 as being equivalent.

You know where i'm going with this, i3 & i7 will give you the same performance. So it looks like the only cpu worth getting now is Core i3-6100.
For just under £100, or the bundle for £288.

There will be an uprising for sure. All other skylake cpus are obsolete. Bankruptcy is all that awaits intel now.

So.. my actual point was, i'm gonna get the i3 bundle.
thanks.

Soldato
But often makes perf worse! Win7 no service pack faster than sp1 for example.

You want instability and slow perf use windows update.

So let me get this right... Windows is perfect out of the box? So the updates they release are just for fun? Or do you think they're just breaking stuff randomly for a laugh?

I'm not saying there's never been an update that broke anything but wtf... Recommending you never update your OS is ridiculous.

OcUK Staff
OP
^Is it!! Thats how I role!!

I tested adding updates and performance drops. The OS becomes bloated. Also on more complex rigs that I support 3-4 cards often its an update thats caused a problem. Its the nature of the PC.

You want an OS messing with the stability of your hardware carry on!! But for me I update nothing and am sure I missed out on nothing!!

OcUK Staff
OP
i was also wondering this, so i copy&paste into google and found this. It says yes.

but i believe the actual real life benefits (gaming) between i5 & i7 are small to none?
So a good i5 overclock would be all one would need i suppose, for the best performance in this price range. Or is it..

I did a little more digging around, one thing lead to another, and i found the i3 bundle. Obviously one would think i3=less performance than i5. especially this bundle which would offer the same performance as similar oced i7. Untill something caught my eye

Well, this changes everything. I figured out on my own i5/i7 are equal in gaming, and 8pack has reported the i3/i5 as being equivalent.

You know where i'm going with this, i3 & i7 will give you the same performance. So it looks like the only cpu worth getting now is Core i3-6100.
For just under £100, or the bundle for £288.

There will be an uprising for sure. All other skylake cpus are obsolete. Bankruptcy is all that awaits intel now.

So.. my actual point was, i'm gonna get the i3 bundle.
thanks.

All good points. As I have always said since Skylake if you need a CPU with HT in your system for your tasks X99 is by far the most atractive package allround. Its the enthusiast grade for very similar price to Z170 i7.

If you dont need HT i3 is fine in 95%+ of instances.

Soldato
So let me get this right... Windows is perfect out of the box? So the updates they release are just for fun? Or do you think they're just breaking stuff randomly for a laugh?

I'm not saying there's never been an update that broke anything but wtf... Recommending you never update your OS is ridiculous.

^Is it!! Thats how I role!!

I tested adding updates and performance drops. The OS becomes bloated. Also on more complex rigs that I support 3-4 cards often its an update thats caused a problem. Its the nature of the PC.

You want an OS messing with the stability of your hardware carry on!! But for me I update nothing and am sure I missed out on nothing!!

Ocuk staff advising not to install windows updates, i.e security updates, therefore potentially leaving customers PC's vulnerable to attack...

Back
Top Bottom