8Pack super fast smash the rest i5 Skylake Overclocked, Discounted killer GAMING bundle.

OcUK Staff
OP
This is not OCUK's stance its mine.

I dont do anything that I know will effect performance. End users its there own choice I am just saying I test all this stuff out and its effecting perf and stability. OS becomes bloated and slow.

Associate
To be fair, I've had a similar experience to 8 Pack here on several previous popular versions of windows... Including 98 and XP.

However talking in specific for the most recent release - Windows 10 Pro. I've updated it all along the way and on a modern system with SSD and plenty of ram and there wasn't any noticeable difference in performance, boot times, etc. Not using the machine for the purpose of competitive overclocking. It is fine.

So I would suggest that situation isn't so much to worry about anymore. At least for pretty much everyone else who's name isn't 8 Pack.

However I do of course still think it's still far too easy for any windows install to get mucked up over time. Just through normal usage. Not specifically performance-wise, but in many other ways. All quite unpleasant / impossible to rectify aside from the commonly accepted fresh install proceedure.

The thing about windows updates are kindda mandatory now. So they will install straight away without being give nany opporuntiy to see what they are anymore and accept / reject such specific KB.

The best option anymore is to switch them off in group policy, and then use the tool 'wsus_offline' to fetch updates. Which allows better control.

Yet the actual risk of microcode updates locking down or removing the BCLKing feature is negligble. For multiple unrelated reasons, all of which we have already discussed here. So it's kindda irrelevant to talk about those technicalities about the 'how it can happen' rather thann the more central question is more about the involved company's statements, plans, policies etc. revolving around that feature.

Perhaps Intel isn't saying anything about it because it voids the warranty on their chips and / or disables other publically advertised features (e.g. iGPU). Or doesn't sit well with their past strategies and there is some inertia there. Yet Intel sell overclocking-specific 1-part replacement warranties now for some of their chips. So maybe we shuold expect them to be more forthcoming and address this matter publically too. To put minds at ease. But also perhaps they are such a large organisation that their many departments don't know what to do / say about it. There are likely as many possible reasons why we haven't heard from intel on the matter as there are reasons why them taking it away is so unlikely to happen.

Soldato
Quick question, I helped a friend install one of these systems, we didn't manage to get it stable even at 1.4v, I dont really wanna be putting anymore through it. But it crashes running realbench and H1Z1

Any other settings we could change?

Soldato
I tested several chips. on all 4.4ghz was easy.

what was u stable at? and what was teh error with Ral Bench etc etc... Maybe thge issue could be memory.

You seem a little intoxicated haha.

No worries, managed to get it stable. 1.4v 4.5Ghz

The friend seems mighty happy now its stable. Although there are a couple of niggles with it as you mentioned.

1. The lack of being able to see the Core Temps, outside of the BIOS, HWMonitor only seems to show CPU Usages and Ambient Temperatures.
2. The lack of Windows being able to detect how fast it is running.

But other than that. As long as its kept clean it shouldn't overheat and the CPU Cooler is actually very quiet. I was impressed at least.

An intriguing concept, pulled off very well. Congrats

OcUK Staff
OP
Thanks for that. I wasn't used to seeing typos from you. Apologies.

They are all ov er teh spot my errors in typing!! I just hit post and often dont read till pointed out my gaffs!!

ITX maybe yes I will have to look into full testing of appropriately priced and spec of motherboard. When I briefly looked into this before the ITX boards with the appropraite Bios and features where more expensive. This on a Bundle aimed squarely at value I decided not to pursue.

Associate
Help required please.

I followed all of the steps as detailed, all looked OK in the BIOS but when I tried to reboot windows it will not boot anymore.

I get messages saying KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE and HAL_INITIALISATION_FAILED

I reversed all the settings to as they were before and windows just hangs when I try to reboot on the screen saying preparing automatic repair.

I've tried to re-install windows 10 from DVD with and without the OC applied and the computer just keeps rebooting in a loop.

Please help, I'm gutted, I only built the system the other day :(

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
We saw this in Technical in one system on Thursday with it being New years eve I did not get chance to fix.

I will fix tomorrow and report back here.

For now try full Bios reset and report back. You on Win 10??

Associate
Go for water

Hi all,

First time poster as I was put onto this deal by a buddy of mine and had to have it. Not ventured into the overclock yet, still waiting for a million windows updates to take effect first.

One thing if you are reading this and are wondering if you should get air or water cooling.... go water. The air cooler was a PITA to install. It was like meccano.

I totally wish I had spent the little extra and got the water cooler.
Other than that, a lovely package so far, and you will need the drivers CD in the motherboard box as win10 doesn't seem to see the Lan controller until you do!
-J

Back
Top Bottom