8th Annual BOINC Pentathlon: 5th May - 19th May 2017

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Einstein is the Cross Country event starting 9th May at 00:00 UTC until 14th May 00:00 UTC. This one uses GPU and can do CPU too.

Man of Honour
Not sure yet, but that doesn't start for 4 days so got time to decide. Probably will try and help there.

Bigger issue for me is the Cosmology WU I have says its going to take 46 days and climbing using 24 cores on my Mac.. might have to stop doing C@H if thats the case

Soldato
OP
It starts in 4 days but the point I was making was the work units won't validate straight away, so if you started now you'd be more up to speed when it actually does start, just a suggestion.
I take it they're the camb_legacy ones, not ran them, camb_docker are reasonably short but require virtual box.

Man of Honour
Was planck_param_sims 2.04 (vbox65_mt)

Eventually timed out with:
Code:
Thu  4 May 19:47:26 2017 | Cosmology@Home | Aborting task planck_param_sims_300_2509_61279_1_0: exceeded elapsed time limit 6710.63 (897654.00G/133.77G)

I have virtualbox already installed on this Mac, but I don't think that boinc kicked it off at any point, or maybe it did and I just couldn't work out what was going on :)

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Some Cosmology WUs are wierd and will crash. I can see a few of those in my queues, both legacy and docker types on different machines that are all running at stock speeds. If you have one that badly misbehaving, then abort it.

I know you've said you haven't got time to play around but if you are using 24 cores on a Cosmo WU you are no doubt already doing virtual box stuff. VB is a bit of a pain to set up. Lots of recommendations are not to use the embedded boinc version, but the later one direct from the oracle site https://www.virtualbox.org/

Once you are set then create an app_config.xml file in the Cosmology project folder of Boinc Data
Code:
<app_config>
<project_max_concurrent>2</project_max_concurrent>
<app_version>
<app_name>camb_boinc2docker</app_name>
<plan_class>vbox64_mt</plan_class>
<avg_ncpus>4</avg_ncpus>
</app_version>
<app_version>
<app_name>lsplitsims</app_name>
<plan_class>vbox64_mt</plan_class>
<avg_ncpus>4</avg_ncpus>
</app_version>
</app_config>
Set your max concurrent, and avg ncpus to suit your PC and anything else you still want working. For me 4 cpu per WU is the minimum, 2 WUs at a time on a 12 thread CPU is a nice balance. Virtual Box will take over if you let it, and Cosmology can also use a fair bit of RAM. Create the app_config and restart boinc. You may need to abort any few Cosmo WUs in part progress as virtual boinc gets confused by the change in cpus available.

Associate
TIP: after you reboot windows and before boinc starts OPEN ORACLE and clear out any old red vm`s that are in there, will work much better, remember this from when i used to run Atlas

Got some Cosmology bunkering up now, better late then never lol

hO5wQGm.jpg

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
It always takes 12 hours or more to find out where we really sit, good or bad. Too many bunkers for everyone in the world to drop and servers to play catch up on validation. Cosmology was definitiely struggling earlier. The challenge is then to maintain our position once the bunkers are out of play.

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Arghh, looks like the 64p crashed this morning, taking with it a shed load of Zika. Now it's lost it's trusted status and needs a wingman for at least a day :(

Soldato
ive half way through setting up Linux vm;s on myn as one of them is still running 32 cores on windows and its a lot slow than the others I have running Linux vm's. limited to 16 cores so 2 per machine is needed. got work now so ill have to continue with them in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom