8th Annual BOINC Pentathlon: 5th May - 19th May 2017

Soldato
OP
Well, it's still early days but currently we are joint 7th overall :cool:
The GPU cross country is coming up which traditionally we tend to struggle on, though last year the sprint was more our Achilles.

The Cosmology validation server is still struggling, pending is going up & up, currently 68K. I uploaded a mini bunker yesterday only a fraction of which have validated.

PDW

PDW

Associate
I found another box with legacy Cosmo on it I hadn't uploaded yesterday morning :o
Have also moved mostly to Docker now for the better points but 5 times as many are waiting on validation as have been validated :eek:

1 box also took 5 hours off duty when it decided it liked the colour blue :(

MGP

MGP

Soldato
The 64p has proven to be a complete nightmare, kept stalling for a short while, then sorting itself out but meanwhile erroring WUs. So virtually no production from it yesterday :( So a lot of effort last night / early morning and I've reloaded, and even better it's now working from an SSD rather than the USB (which was extremely warm and may have been part of the problem after all these years). Only problem is it isn't trusted anymore so most WUs now sit waiting for a wingman.

Soldato
OP
The 64p has proven to be a complete nightmare, kept stalling for a short while, then sorting itself out but meanwhile erroring WUs. So virtually no production from it yesterday :( So a lot of effort last night / early morning and I've reloaded, and even better it's now working from an SSD rather than the USB (which was extremely warm and may have been part of the problem after all these years). Only problem is it isn't trusted anymore so most WUs now sit waiting for a wingman.

I initially run mine with 0 days bunker, then you only get the amount of cores you have, usually after that batch it becomes trusted, so fairly quickly.
I always wondered why you crunched with just a USB stick, I know it was optimised for f@h but that's no more for that machine.

MGP

MGP

Soldato
The 64p was always a bit wierd ;) Don't know why but the SATA ports on the motherboard don't work. They have never, ever, recognised anything attached to them. And that isn't me being a numpty, I didn't build it, Biffa never got them working either. So the option was the one USB3 port on the motherboard, or, as the case is full of radiators so there is no space for any drive to be mounted, a hard drive that can be mounted in the cases' built in external expansion port, that in turn is wired to a SATA expansion card. A hard drive sticking out of the top of the case is fine for temporary use but meant the case couldn't sit under a desk (yes my feet get very toasty).

As it was set up to use the USB stick, I've always kept it that way. It worked when the system was first bought for folding, back in the days they made use of big crunchers, but let's remember this thing is now very aged, and stuff has moved on. SSDs weren't used much back then. It is also the case that I really, really, have no clue when it comes to linux stuff so getting anything to work or upgrade is pure luck. Indeed I'm back to using a prebuild configuration from the guys over on [H]ard|OCP.

Anyhow a lot, and I do mean, lot, of fumbling around in BIOS settings, and trial and error, when frequently the SSD couldn't even be read, yet it was deteceted, but somehow it's now reading the SSD in the expansion port. So hopefully all is now good for the rest of the Pentathlon before it's permanent retirement.

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Cosmology seems to be having a few issues. It seems the Pentathlon and the Marathon projects they choose might be a bit jinxed as I recall last year's challenge having difficulties too.

I'm now starting to see a dribble of Cosmo work getting through, but servers had been dry most of the day.

I think their validator has a problem too. The queue is increasing steadily. But I think the problem is only for the Docker type WUs. I have many of those stuck since yesterday but they indicate a quorum of 1. Meanwhile any Legacy and Planck types are all cleared from the validator.

No doubt everyone is in a similar boat (or perhaps that should be spaceship), but we are gradually slacking at Cosmo and having been fast out of the gates at the current rate will drop a place in the next hour and may struggle further :(

Meanwhile I think we might be holding our own at 9th in the Zika run :)

PDW

PDW

Associate
Can always stick Zika on 0 resource to kick in if Cosmo runs out.

MK Dons just took a dump and went past us but not by much, CNT also overtook us but that was to be expected.
If we push on Zika we can return the favour to CNT :p

Have dropped to 9th overall but for our numbers we aren't doing too bad at all :)

Soldato
OP
*The Daily Bulletin page, these are always worth a read, I think the person that writes does it brilliantly.

Day 1

AF (4) are currently unable to keep up with the top Trio whereas SG (#5), notorious late risers, always need a little longer to get going. Even so, the Germans are slowly getting into gear. On the other hand, the boys and girls from Overclock.net (#6) appear to be early risers. Following a good start there’s a chance that they may not be able to remain in one of the top spots. There’s a direct threat from CNT (#7) and from Rechenkraft.net (#9) who are boldly making up ground. However, Overclockers UK (#8) don’t seem to show enough motivation to attack their rivals whose name bears a similarity to theirs.

Even at the Marathon, Team China (#5) are clearly showing that they are a serious contender this year. The future will show if the Overclockers UK (#6) can keep up the tempo. The Brits seem to have escaped the chains this year. Touch wood. I was only able to locate AF at #7, a poor rank at the moment. It’s imperative that AF counter-steer otherwise the Overall Standings might be in trouble. CNT (#8) are trailing a bit at the City Run which is already causing some consternation amongst the Czech fans.

Incredible results (at least at the moment) returned by Overclock.net #4 and Overclockers UK (#7). Both will not find it easy to retain their current positions but judging by their current performances, both are hot contenders for a place in the Top10.

Day 2

The Czechs should take care that they are not being ambushed from behind. Gridcoin (#8) and OcUK (#9) have sounded the horn. It looks like RKN will not be able to keep up with them but the Rechenkraft team would surely be content with #10. However, [H]ard|OCP (#11) and TAAT (#12) should throw a few more energy bars into their furnace or they won't be getting RKN to break into a sweat otherwise.

OcUK have lost a bit of ground compared to yesterday but #8 is still a good result. However, CNT have set their sails and are about to leave #9 behind. However, CNT’s current result still throws up a question. Can we still expect a covert attack? Ladies and Gentlemen, you should be prepared. Anything else would be a real surprise.

There is currently no sign of another team breaking into this united front. Overclock.net (#4) were not expected to do so, however, the team are valiantly holding on at present. But what of Team China (#5), AF (#6) and CNT (#8)? Not only have they lost considerable ground to the top ranks, they have to ward off new rivals. Gridcoin (#7) and OcUK (#9) are clearly demonstrating that they are not intimidated by big names.

*post inpired by Tony from Team Anandtech™

Last edited:
Associate
So, hanluc, are you ocukguest on Anandtech? I ask because I recently posted highlights there from the Daily Bulletin. ;)

You guys are kicking arse. Well done! You're way ahead of Anandtech in WCG this time. My super secret WCG bunker (260k) won't touch your lead in the least! So, again, well done!!!

MGP

MGP

Soldato
I quite like those Daily Bulletin updates. They can't be easy to write and then translate so they still work in different languages.

Oh and now we know there is a bunker, we can plan accordingly, just in case anyone of our team thought they would dare risk slacking. Just remember a trip to Spanky awaits anyone who dares to shirk their commitments :D

5103.jpg

PDW

PDW

Associate
So, hanluc, are you ocukguest on Anandtech? I ask because I recently posted highlights there from the Daily Bulletin. ;)

You guys are kicking arse. Well done! You're way ahead of Anandtech in WCG this time. My super secret WCG bunker (260k) won't touch your lead in the least! So, again, well done!!!
No, that isn't hanluc, he uses disguise No 2 on your forum, ocukguest is another of our clan (but not kilted) :D

If you are a long standing member of your team can I ask you a question about it ?

Soldato
OP

I am registered on your forums but I'm not him, my crunching name is in my sig, possibly a give-a-way ;)
I admit it, I was inspired by your post, I honestly thought about putting a disclaimer in about my inspiration, now I feel contrite. .. I'll do it now :)

Hmm is this a 7 x 260k bunker? :eek: pentathlon scores use the inflated WCG credit.

Associate
PDW, of course you may ask me a question. As for long standing, I've only been active at AT for......3? years. Pretty sure it's only my 3rd pentathlon.

7x260k bunker hanluc?, no, poor old Westmere-EP's just like to make me think they are useful. Seven 2P workstations with 24 threads each, sucking 2350 watts per hour total out of my wallet, with 5600 tasks, give or take, at about 47 BOINC points each. You are currently about 1.2M ahead. So unless my calculator lied, you are extremely safe from that bunker. I am frank when I say something, unless it is CLEAR that I'm being sneaky. :) No sneaky here.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
7x260k bunker hanluc?, no, poor old Westmere-EP's just like to make me think they are useful. Seven 2P workstations with 24 threads each, sucking 2350 watts per hour total out of my wallet, with 5600 tasks, give or take, at about 47 BOINC points each. You are currently about 1.2M ahead. So unless my calculator lied, you are extremely safe from that bunker. I am frank when I say something, unless it is CLEAR that I'm being sneaky. :) No sneaky here.

We are not safe from that bunker you will leap frog us. The 260K (5600x47) that you talk about is BOINC credit, the credit the pentathlon is using is WCG credit which is roughly X 7 higher. So your bunker will be worth around 1.8 million :eek:
We better get a move on!

Soldato
you've got to be sh..ing me ... I come down and log into my servers to find my vms closed down, guess they've had a reboot? good thing about windows and boinc is it starts back up with windows!!! any way to make a vm start up with windows

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Swimming is LHC@Home - 12th May 00:00UTC (1:00am in UK) to 19th May

Wonder how this one will hold up. It's not that big a project and in the past I've found work supply very intermittent.

Associate
LHC is indeed very intermittent. Sigh.

As to my 'little' bunker.....oh, they're using WCG points. Uhm, I was wondering how you guys had managed to get so far ahead. :D Yep, you're in trouble there.

Associate
I was starting to cramp, so I've taken a dump.

With Cosmo having limited work and some of the points being in limbo, and with LHC having little work EVER, this might just be all about Einstein and WCG, and whatever the last project is.

Back
Top Bottom