• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much for people saying it's a non-issue at 1080p. It was bound to happen at some point in time, it's fairly easy to push that 3.5gb nowadays. If the last 0.5gb wasn't taken from a Game Boy Advance we'd still have a tiny bit of future proofing left. I was curious how Dying Light will behave but it seems I have my answer;p

There is irony in that Dying Light is another Gameworks title, doh.

Newegg accepting them back ey.

Wow. Let's go Amazon US.

I made a short video using High and Medium textures to show the 970 3.5GB VRAM issues. As soon as it reached 3500mb the game starts to stutter really badly and craps out.

Lowering it to Medium textures and it runs smooth as silk. I'm only gaming at 1080p. Should I not be using High textures at 1080p?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Q6jmg_qik&feature=youtu.be

I'll try and make a video myself, I played this today everything set to high at default @1080p, no issues.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.. To be fair those cards had rave reviews when first released, and I bet most games you played til now have been fine, and as you point out the 290x will probably suffer under the same scenario in Dying Light.

I'd say either keep them and wait for some new to come along, and then jump ship, or return them and either go for a 980 if you have a gsync screen or try the top end AMD cards, I noticed there's a 290x 8gb Tri-x coming and also an 8gb Vapor-x that should ease vram worries or go for the 295x2 although personally I don't like the cooler on that

if you return these next week you'll be screwed, because you'll have no other card to buy and i've nothing else here at home to plug and play.

the 290X 8gb is ok, but wont be as fast as the 380X, let alone the 390X....i wonder if AMD will release the 380X late next week :eek::eek:

because if so they'll steal the market and sell loads, you're after a 380X with 6GB RAM Crossfire of course

There is irony in that Dying Light is another Gameworks title, doh.

Wow. Let's go Amazon US.

The Way It's Meant To Be Played, mate;p I can't believe that I've ponied up for my first ever relatively high-end card after years upon years of sticking to mid-range only to see that it's unable to properly run a game with textures on high three months after its release date;p And that's at ancient 1080p. I want to laugh a bit but the truth is these cards are quite expensive where I live and I just feel like I've been ****ed over big time.

The Way It's Meant To Be Played, mate;p I can't believe that I've ponied up for my first ever relatively high-end card after years upon years of sticking to mid-range only to see that it's unable to properly run a game with textures on high three months after its release date;p And that's at ancient 1080p. I want to laugh a bit but the truth is these cards are quite expensive where I live and I just feel like I've been ****ed over big time.

What sort of frame rates are you getting In Dying light, is it stuttering a lot?

same with me, first first decent gpu in 5 years and I had to pick these! I waited 8 months for these to release and then waited a bit longer till the black Friday!

has OCUK said anything about this yet? as I would like to RMA my card and get a refund but don't see the point in calling them or anything as it will be a no till they decide

Just a heads up for anyone who is actually getting no joy from their etailer...

I bought a Panasonic projector a few years back and after it continually failed due to overheating issues I asked for a refund 11 months in to my 12 month warranty.

The etailer said no - Panasonic said no.

I filed a small claims court against the etailer (no other option) - got paid full amount immediately without having to go to court.

https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

I am happy to do the same again if I don't get offered an exchange or refund.

Don't be put off by all these arm chair bandits who think Nvidia should get away with this.

After my reply from OC and the way my call was treated I've decided to go down this route, will let everyone know how it goes.

I was wondering why i was getting stutter in a few games at 1440p on my ROG Swift, thought it may have been sli. FarCry 4 was a pain for it.

Never had an issue with my 980.

Hmm i've owned both cards for 12 days, do i use OcUK's 14 day money back guarantee. Decisions decisions...

the poster above said 3.7GB so that's pretty close

That's miles away, i remember hitting the 2019MB mark with 2048MB of vram many times without issue.

But saying that 4GB is borderline now, BF4 Ultra everything 4xMSAA and 200% resolution scale @ 1080p on the plasma (awesome btw :D) i can just about tip over the 4096MB Vram and get some stuttering, but lucky i dont like everything Ultra as i think its a disadvantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom